Happy Earth Day

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
BANSHEE

Happy Earth Day

Postby BANSHEE » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 10:17 AM

HAPPY EARTH DAY EVERYONE

FLY PAPER AND BAMBOO TODAY
Ceaser viveret ad remum dareris

Think MAKR 2010

Mike

Re: Happy Earth Day

Postby Mike » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 10:26 AM

Good idea Banshee.

I've got some bamboo around here, maybe I'll make a fighter with newspaper and bamboo and take it out to the park.

hmmm. could I make a rev out of bamboo and newspaper? :-D
There's a plan for a quad made out of newspaper and fiberglass, but I think I'll stick to the fighter.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 08:07 PM

Happy Earth Day.

I know that alot of you didn't get around to checking out the other activities at Oswego yesterday...they had some neat Earth Day activities. Seed planting, paper making, bracelets, and a story teller. Booths about water conservation, and solar and wind power, trees to plant, native plants for sale, and of course kite making.

Which reminds me, does it take batteries to wind power kite lights?
TTFN,
Draftnik

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 11:17 PM

We, Draftnik, already heat and air-condition our home with geothermal... which is incredibly earth-friendly and which is cheaper that even natural gas.

i was blown away by the solar exhibits at the Earth Day booths! i am very much considering getting solar panels to be placed on our roof. The company installs it for you; you don't pay for the equipment; they charge you for electricity just like the electric company does... (only it is cheaper and goes right into the electric grid... you don't need nickel-cadmium batteries and such hardware)! You still are hooked up to the electrical grid, but pump some in, instead of just pumping it out! Invis knows of some folks who might even do it cheaper... so he'll be getting with me on this. Sun and pollution-free... no nuclear generators; it looks darn good to me. People need to be thinking of the earth and the future more... instead of being indifferent...
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Apr 23 2007, 10:04 AM

Draftnik wrote:Which reminds me, does it take batteries to wind power kite lights?

How are you going to power the lights? A little propeller and generator? You shouldn't need a battery for this but you would need some electronics to supply a constant voltage or the lights will vary a lot in brightness.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Apr 24 2007, 08:25 AM

I most likely won't be powering any lights. It was just a question. It'd be fun to see someone do a wind powered kite lights. Would be cool to see a wind generator used in place of a gas generator at a kite fest!!!
TTFN,

Draftnik

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Wed, Apr 25 2007, 03:52 PM

I've been doing research on building a rotor kite to bring to Grand Haven and came across this.

"Power" Kites?

One of these babies should light a few LEDs!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Apr 25 2007, 05:44 PM

:shock: They're huge!

Wonder what a rotor kite could generate?? :mrgreen:
TTFN,

Draftnik

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Wed, Apr 25 2007, 10:25 PM

Maybe on my next one I'll include a small generator....then I could run flexible wires through the spars for the lights!

Oh man...I was getting ready to get my notebook out again.........I've got get this one done first!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Return to “General Discussion”