We Outa Fly Our Colors

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Draftnik

Re: We Outa Fly Our Colors

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Apr 03 2007, 05:51 PM

Tell Mrs. Drachenschwanz to get busy. My penquin is done, the owl too, and thisclose to finish on the crow/tiki. Need to get stakes for the banner. Don't have a pic, might take one Saturday-it's suppose to snow :!: :mad: , so the penquins should feel right at home. :wink: (Are emperor penquins artic, or tropic?)

We pretty near stopped traffic tonight to inspect a Verizon banner that was very thin cloth. Here's a theory about the banners...using heavier cloth might create more shadows and some banners may need those shadows to show their movement.

I'd like to see some 200d and a 1.5 ripstop banners side by side to compare...I'd like to see some 200d nylon by itself for that matter...
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 03 2007, 06:42 PM

Hancock fabrics carries some 200 denier flag cloth.
I have some scraps of both I can bring to Sycamore--if I come. The weather doesn't look to promising. Could be a bad drive.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 05:39 PM

Draftnik wrote: Here's a theory about the banners...using heavier cloth might create more shadows and some banners may need those shadows to show their movement.

I'd like to see some 200d and a 1.5 ripstop banners side by side to compare...I'd like to see some 200d nylon by itself for that matter...

My experience is that thinner banners tend to be noisier. So if you set up camp with a bunch of ripstop banners, you won't be able to hear yourself or others over the noise.
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 05:45 PM

TheBigKiteGuy wrote:My experience is that thinner banners tend to be noisier. So if you set up camp with a bunch of ripstop banners, you won't be able to hear yourself or others over the noise.

Yup, ripstop can be really loud. Some commercial banners are tensioned to keep the flapping to a minimum.

Welcome home, Al!

SkyWalker

Postby SkyWalker » Wed, Apr 11 2007, 11:04 AM

Nice job there Drafty. I prefer the banner on the left as well.

:up: Jhale

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Apr 11 2007, 11:27 AM

Good grief, ripstop makes _alot_ of noise!! The penquins nearly deafened us Saturday with the roar they were making, while the IKE banner (nylon) hummed along quietly. Mike also showed me the 200 denier he had and it's nice stuff.

Thanks, Jhale.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Apr 11 2007, 08:00 PM

Well here is a shot my choice of Flying Our Colors. I plan on using Taffeta (sp) same stuff Chris's banner is made of. I just need to figure out the amount to get. It should be somewhere around 4x11.

and now with out further ado...

so let hear the thoughts...
and no comments about my drawing, an artist I am not. :P
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Apr 11 2007, 08:26 PM

It should be a quick project, that is until you do the logo(applique is a little time consuming) I think it will look great! :up:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Apr 11 2007, 08:48 PM

Mike help there Chris, he sent me a pdf file of it in size, it was only 30 pages. :shock: But will make it alot easier the to free hand it. :oops:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Apr 11 2007, 08:49 PM

Looks good Ken, I like that it's not symetrical top to bottom...that's cool.

I don't know how wide the baby penquin was, that was at MAKR, but he was having a hard time staying open. Just something to remember.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Apr 11 2007, 09:11 PM

I like it to Ken.
The applique will take some time, don't let 'em fool ya.
I'll be interested in seeing how it works with taffeta, people do it, but I've only ever done applique with ripstop.

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Fri, Apr 13 2007, 09:57 PM

Hey, I've got a color chart for the SolarMax and I was wondering, which red should I use for the banner? There's a bright cherry red (Canada Red) or a darker, richer red like the OG red.

I should have looked a little closer at Mike's logo kite last Saturday in Sycamore.
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 13 2007, 10:30 PM

I don't know that we've really decided that closely on the red. Which one more closely matches the logo at the top of this screen?
I guess as pure a red as you can get.

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Fri, Apr 13 2007, 11:12 PM

Ahhh, you're asking a coumpter geek to chose a color based on a screen shot! Different video cards and different screens produce different colors, along with color correction profiles, gama, contrast, brighness, and other variable doohickies....... :shock:

:rotfl

Sorry, I tend to get carried away with my cleverness sometimes. I'll probably go with the Canada Red, it's the brightest and should look the coolest!

Thanks!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Apr 13 2007, 11:42 PM

speaking of colors...

Today, I was offered the opportunity to advertise IKE after the credit roll of Drumshow at Naperville Central High School. This is the show that I have been working on for a couple of weeks. There are 3 shows, each seats about 800 people or so.

Unfortunately, I am so busy working on the show video that I haven't had time (or footage) to put something together for the show... Jeff, can you cut together about 1 min of video from Sycamore that I could drop in after the credit roll for Drumshow? Not that there are many people left in tie auditorium after the credits but there will be a few... including lots of kids...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Apr 19 2007, 12:20 AM

Up date on my banner, all templates are cut out as of tonight. If all goes according to plan I will have it done for Decatur. Fingers are crossed. :up:

I also elected to go with ripstop rather then taffeta, do to that stuff is dry clean only. :shock: The ripstop I will be using the softer stuff from JoAnnes, so it will not be as annoying loud like the kite ripstop. :wink: :wink:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu, Apr 19 2007, 05:19 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about the dry clean only, I've hand washed my spike ball a couple times with no ill effects. I'm afraid to machine wash though.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Thu, Apr 19 2007, 09:06 AM

Dry clean.....Hand wash..... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I tried to wash a show kite ONCE, or rather at least hose it off. It took several hours at a friend's house in the country, when it dried, it looked the same. :( Now I wait for rain.

Seriously, I guess you could go over it with a soft brush and Woollite and a lot of patience, I know of one show kite flier who did this with pretty good results. I guess I just don't have that kind of patience and just wait for the dirt to wear off. :lol:

Others have flown kites with a little bit of grime:

Image I submit to you, what I believe to be the world's dirtiest kite: The Megabite. This was Peter Lynn's first world's largest kite. My reaction the first time I saw it in Berck (2000) was, "OMG, that is SO dirty"
Alan Sparling

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Apr 19 2007, 09:48 AM

Frodos Majik wrote:I also elected to go with ripstop rather then taffeta, do to that stuff is dry clean only. :shock: The ripstop I will be using the softer stuff from JoAnnes, so it will not be as annoying loud like the kite ripstop. :wink: :wink:

Oh, it'll be interesting to see how that ripstop works! The fabric store ripstop we've used in that past has really great color saturation and you're right, it'll be quieter.

Taffeta...I machine wash everything and have washed taffeta. Some of the taffeta's are fine, but once in a while the wrinkle set in so badly that an iron won't get them out. I think it has to do with the sizing (like a starch) that's put on the fabric. Some fabrics are more dependant on that sizing to keep shape. The flowing taffetta's don't seem to rely on it so much, but the crisper ones do.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Apr 19 2007, 12:41 PM

Oh, it'll be interesting to see how that ripstop works!

Draftnik that is what I had used for making Gus, and he has held up fine. I also agree the materials from the fabric store has great color to it.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Return to “Sewing”