Dual Line Instruction Sites

All about Dual Line Kiting.
Babbman

Dual Line Instruction Sites

Postby Babbman » Thu, Apr 05 2007, 03:35 PM

Chris and I are determined to learn to fly dual lines and do more than spin in circles and do the walk of shame.

Kent recommended a few sites that would help us out...

http://www.andywardley.com/kites/index.html
http://sportkiteflyer.spaces.live.com/P ... e.aspx?_c=
http://www.prismkites.com/prism2006/

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

ZippyD

Re: Dual Line Instruction Sites

Postby ZippyD » Thu, Apr 05 2007, 04:49 PM

Those are all good links and I've used them myself, but from personal experience, there is *nothing* like being shown up close and personal how to do tricks live.
With that said...I'm by no means adept, but there are a few tricks that I can teach you. I'd be glad to do exactly that up in GH!
Be well,
Dan

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Thu, Apr 05 2007, 08:31 PM

Hi fellows!!!
It's good to know that you are going to emphasize in flying dual kites and I am, very sure, that both of you Babbman and Chris, will be able to make it big. It's obvious that Both of you, with your tenacity, enthusiasm and courage, you can reach any goal you set for yourselves. :dualspin:
Although, Zippyd is right, you can learn from videos. I learned a lot in "Flight School" a CD DVD that comes along when you buy a New Teck kite, from Kite Stunt Guru "Dodd Gross". It introduces you from begginers all the way up to advanced. (you have to memorise the movements, to do it on the field)
When I bought "Big Bang" the DVD came with it, and the DVD alone it's worth the money I pay for the kite. (I couldn't do anything with Big Bang, but when I bought Deep space...those lesson were well worth it. I personnaly recomend the DVD from Dod Gross. Now I don't do walks of shame, and if I do, they are very seldom, or when I am trying something I don't know well enough. (I don't have Big Bang anymore)
Good luck fellows, and as allways...practice, practice, practice.
If you have a chance to fly along with ZippyD, Stick with him and learn as much as you can. That is the best way. :dualspin:
Last edited by Hector Herrera on Fri, Apr 06 2007, 09:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu, Apr 05 2007, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Hector. :wink: It's funny that I'm back to the dual line, that was where I started a year ago this month(until I was turned to the darkside :twisted: )

I am determined to learn how to trick this thing, I can fly it no problem, but that's where my skills end :oops:

Especially after last week, I ran into a guy flying a dualie in my subdivision. He got the kite for a birthday gift from his wife (I hope mine reads this post :wink: ) and he let me fly it... I could only do the same thing he was doing, just fly around in figure eights and circles :(

All I could do was explain the cool things an experienced flyer can do with a dual line-not good enough!

That will NOT happen again....
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Apr 06 2007, 08:25 PM

Hector is absolutely right... the Dodd Gross "Flight School" DVD is truly amazing and is more than beneficial. i thanked Dodd himself a number of times for that great teaching cluster. i am so very appreciative of that great DVD teaching/learning tool. i watched parts of it over and over... innumerable times... and learned a lot from that disk alone; there were no others to instruct me (in real time) in my local area.

It's true that the best teacher is a live instructor, though. i would be more than glad to help out in this respect, at the upcoming festivals and (especially) flys. Or, if you would just like to get together when the weather gets warmer, i could meet you half-way, or something like that, on weekends or holidays... just to practice flying. i love practicing... it's just so much fun (and good exercise)! Just send me a post or an email or whatever and we can hook up!

The neat thing about dualie flying-----> is that no matter how good you get, there are still other tricks and moves or combinations that you can learn and expand upon; there really is no end to learning with it, if you do it well. Our skills will never match those that evolutionary Life has practiced for eons (far beyond our meager flying times)!

from Robert Graves:

FLYING CROOKED

The butterfly, a cabbage-white,
(His honest idiocy of flight)
Will never now, it is too late,
Master the art of flying straight,
Yet has--who know so well as I?--
A just sense of how not to fly:
He lurches here and here by guess
And God and hope and hopelessness.
Even the aerobatic swift
Has not his flying-crooked gift.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 06 2007, 08:36 PM

Knoted4ever wrote:Even the aerobatic swift
Has not his flying-crooked gift.

Is that a joke? Swifts eat flying insects ya know. Mmmmm, cabbage butterfly (said while drooling like Homer Simpson)

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Fri, Apr 06 2007, 08:40 PM

That wil not happen again... and the first thing to do, since you can keep the kite in flite, is:
lesson number one: SNAP STALL... try this excercise on the sides of the window, and once you achieve this fairly decent...
lesson number two: AXELS...huuu this sounds like fun allready...and with these two esential stunts, you will atract a lot of people who will look in amaze to you... :up:

When people asked me what am I doing I respond...I am making my kite to dance... 8)
and that is a good respond.
I have a question...could Knoted4ever lend you the Dodd Gross DVD? if so, you will have an extremely good tool to start with. If no one is available, I will send you mine.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Fri, Apr 06 2007, 08:55 PM

JJ's got a copy he'd loan out. Will have in the kite bags.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Apr 07 2007, 02:36 AM

Thanks for all the encouragement folks! :up: :mrgreen: I have the Prism "Freestyle Pilot" DVD... I just can't find the field guide that came along with it. :oops: It was very helpful to remember how to execute certain maneuvers.

Being a quadhead, I'm a little hard-headed, and need all the help I can get! :rotfl
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sat, Apr 07 2007, 09:39 PM

Mike, Swifts generally don't eat butterflies at all; they are too bitter and foul tasting; that's why they (butterflies) can advertise their presence! Crab Spiders --- which many people do not see in flowers, as they can, like chameleons, change to the color of the flower over time --- love the taste of most all the butterfly species! They don't eat the bitter part, but suck out the liquid within. Crab spiders exist all over in our area... including in peoples' yards!

i'll bring my DVD to the next festival. The Prism DVD, i'd like to mention, shows a really lame way of doing an axel. i wouldn't suggest learning it that way. No Way! The Dodd Gross DVD is better; or carefully read what i had written here in the dual line section, for doing axels well.

The Champions on Ice celebrities also do excellent axels... but i wouldn't study those too closely!
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Apr 08 2007, 06:35 AM

you must have only tasted the bitter ones :-)

"The list of butterfly predators is long. Suffice it to mention just ants, spiders, wasps, parasitic wasps, parasitic flies, birds, rats, toads, lizards, praying mantis, snakes and monkeys. There is little that would not like to eat a butterfly in one or another of its life stages.

Butterflies have developed many ways to protect themselves from their predators. We could divide them into 2 simple groups: good tasting and bad tasting. A butterfly that is good tasting is one that is regularly consumed by large predators like birds, snakes and lizards. A bad tasting butterfly is avoided by large predators due to its undesirable taste. "

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 08:08 PM

One of my past hobbies was taking Macro (really up-close) pictures of insects. i have all kinds of pics of butterflies, including some being eaten by mantises and crab spiders; also have pics of butterflies mating.
i used to have a pet preying mantis...fed it frozen brine shrimp (which it did very well on); it laid 3 separate colossal egg pods. The females, if there are no males around, lay pods containing fertile eggs that actually hatch (and that are exact clones of themselves).

What does this have to do with Dual Line flying? Nothing... but at the next festival i may have a pet mantis on my shoulder while i do dualie tricks! :mrblue:
Tom P.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 08:33 PM

I think the Mantis is the coolest looking of the insects. I love the way it can turn it's head an look at you. Think about it, most insects don't have a head that swivels around.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Apr 11 2007, 09:53 PM

Mantids are totally cool. They are rather intelligent, as far as insects go, as many of them (that are wild) adjust rapidly to human intervention and actually become tame in a matter of minutes. Some then actually seek your fingers out to "play" on! Others are what i call "Broncos"; Broncos, in the parrot realm, are wild parrots that refuse to tame down and adjust... a few wild mantises are similar... they continue to bite you no matter how long you interact with them! Most, however, become tame rather quickly and show a remarkable degree of attention and awareness!

Here's a pic of me with one of the many i've become acquainted with:
Tom P.

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Wed, Apr 11 2007, 10:40 PM

Beatifull... :shock:

I understand that they eat spiders too... :?:

If I ever come over to Illinois, I am not bringing my "Spider USA" Kite, Knoted4Ever Mantis may make a meal out of it... :hiding:
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Apr 13 2007, 07:42 PM

Mantids will often even eat each other! When multitudes hatch at the same time... if there are not a lot of prey insects to eat, they will revert to eating each other. Sometimes the female, right after mating, will eat the male's head; but usually she lets him live.

The one in the above photograph looks like its left arm (i.e., leg/arm) was attacked at one time, probably by another mantis; since it is alive, the other mantis probably was eaten! Their front arms are very hard, encased in a very rigid exoskeleton armor... and it is very difficult for any insect to injure this... unless it is caught (probably by another mantis) while molting. The arms have "teeth" that the animal uses to clamp on its victims; they cannot fight back (as the external "armor" is very tough) and the vice-like pressure is impossible to escape from. Mantises are extremely conscious of their cleanliness; they, like cats, are perpetually grooming themselves meticulously. You'll never run into a grubby looking mantis!
Tom P.

Return to “Dual Line Kites”