Qbert

The result of our kite making adventures
Frodos Majik

Qbert

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Apr 01 2007, 11:54 PM

Well I did Qbert, saw the pictures on kitebuilders.com, under the topic "Balls with legs". It was for the most part quite simple to do. Just make a beach ball style ball, which is panels rather then hexagons,

add legs and eyes ans feet of some kind. Bridle the nose and the top point of the head, to attach to your kite line. Add weight into the feet to keep him semi on the ground. Thats it.

To help close the rear side of the ball, after sewing all the panels together, and before closing of the last hem, stich the hems flap down. I think its called a fell hem? Each one going in the same direction, that way when you close off the last hem, they will lay on top of each other, closing off the center point of the ball. Sorry but I thought I had taken a picture of it, but did not. :oops:

When attaching the legs to the body or to the feet what I had done was like you would find when attaching metal duct work to a vent hole, cutting slits and folding over to the side of the hole...

Here is a shot of the valve panel going in...

a shot of him out in the field before the elective surgery...

and after surgery with the assistance of the house fan :P ...

but I think after this weekend I am going to turn him into line garbage. He still did not fill out very well even with the bigger mouth. :evil:
But looks pretty good hang off the line up in the air...

I will still have to bridle the eyes, so he will look round, the wind pushes his face in a little too much. :roll:

and thats Qbert in a nut shell. :mrviolet:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Re: Qbert

Postby Mike » Mon, Apr 02 2007, 06:49 AM

I like him!
Before you give up on him, maybe you'll find someone else who has done one at Grand Haven or Airwaves. Some excellent kite builders attend both those festivals.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Apr 02 2007, 10:59 AM

He looks great-all grown up with his bigger nose. :-D

Nice job, Ken.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Apr 02 2007, 05:39 PM

Dont even think for a moment that I have givin up on him, just maybe changing directions a little. But he will be with me for the other fest, so questions will be asked around to help iron it out. :wink:

Thanks Draftnik.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Apr 02 2007, 06:22 PM

Cool! :up: i wouldn't fly next to it though; :shock: probably some country gents would shoot at it with their sawed-offs... thinking that they're saving the planet from sure doom! :mrgreen:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Return to “Completed Creations”