Hello, From Someone New To Kites And About Ready To "fo

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
firstfold

Hello, From Someone New To Kites And About Ready To "fo

Postby firstfold » Mon, Mar 26 2007, 10:07 AM

In the 1950’s my dad, Carl Santee, designed what he called “stick-less kitesâ€

Mike

Re: Hello, From Someone New To Kites And About Ready To &quo

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 26 2007, 10:27 AM

Wow! I just checked out your website.
Really impressive stuff!

There are other all paper designs out there but they usually rely on tape or staples.
It would be a lot of fun to get those true origami kites to fly well.
The may only work in light winds. Also consider adding a paper tail. Tails can help quite a bit with unstable kites.

Welcome to the club!

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Mar 26 2007, 11:57 AM

Welcome Doc! Cool tradition to honor family members on Memorial Day!

Was your Dad honored at the Oswego fest last year?
TTFN,
Draftnik

firstfold

Postby firstfold » Mon, Mar 26 2007, 12:22 PM

Thank you all for the quick response and welcome. :up:

I just started investigating things for my Dad's kites so I didn't even know about the event in Oswego. My kite designs were just made up in the last two weeks. Dad had his kite designs copyrighted (1956) and tried unsuccessfully to sell them to Cereal companies. I don't think the kite comunity knows much about dad (yet?). I am looking for ways to share his designs and would be glad to share his designs (and mine) with the club. I am just a little concerned with coppyright issues on his kites.

Please remember that I am just a Newbie at kites and have a lot to learn ! ! !

By th eway - this web site is really neat. You aught to contact Origami USA to help them improve their webisite.

Charles "Doc" Santee

Jeff

Re: Hello, From Someone New To Kites And About Ready To &

Postby Jeff » Mon, Mar 26 2007, 01:06 PM

firstfold wrote:I am just a little concerned with coppyright issues on his kites.

What exactly are you concerned about regarding copyright?

It's a pretty confusing subject, but I've been doing a lot of reading about it lately for business reasons.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Mar 26 2007, 04:33 PM

Welcome, Doc! Glad to see you made it to the forum :mrgreen:

That Ferris wheel is HUGE :shock: How long did it take to build?
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

firstfold

Postby firstfold » Mon, Mar 26 2007, 04:42 PM

My dad printed up instructions for his kites on legal paper. He may have had these copies prepared by a printer. Hard to tell. They are not the best of quality but are not hand produced. When my mom (age 96 and still living) decided to go to assisted living, she divided up some of her possesions among the thre children. I was given the printed copies of the kites. This process was very informal. I don't think there would be any issues from any family member about distributing the infomation at this time.

Here are my questions:

Can I simply duplicate the printed copies for presentation on my web site? Would it be possible to publih these in an AKA magazine or something similar? Since some of these printed items might not translate well to a publication, can I redraw the instructions. I would like to share these with others but not sure of the best way to go about this. I did contact someone from the AKA who was going to contact the publisher. As yet I have not heard from the publisher. Does publication in one sourece preclude publication of the same content or similar content in another source?
for example, if I put things on my web site can they still be considered for magazine publications or shared with local clubs?

I imagine this gives you more questions than you bargained for but I would appreciate any help.

Thanks for your interest,

Charles "Doc" Santee

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 12:44 AM

Welcome Aboard Doc, always nice to see fresh and new ideas. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

firstfold

Postby firstfold » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 09:31 AM

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

In response to the question about the Ferris Wheel on my web site.
When creating models like the Ferris Wheel, The Rolling Safari Truck and Even the Sears Tower, I spend about 40 hours designing and folding. However, once I have the basics done the models can be re-created in a few houre (each). Hope you enjoy my web site.

But now back to kites. The "Slip and Stick" kites on this site are much heavierand stronger than they appear. In fact, weight is a problem in trying to get these things to fly. The single sheet kites(one of which is on my web site) are very lite. I will be bringing these kites to Naperville (in June) so those there can give me sugggestions for improvement.

Once again thanks.
Charles "Doc" Santee

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 11:14 AM

firstfold wrote:My dad printed up instructions for his kites on legal paper. He may have had these copies prepared by a printer. Hard to tell. They are not the best of quality but are not hand produced. When my mom (age 96 and still living) decided to go to assisted living, she divided up some of her possesions among the thre children. I was given the printed copies of the kites. This process was very informal. I don't think there would be any issues from any family member about distributing the infomation at this time.

Here are my questions:

Can I simply duplicate the printed copies for presentation on my web site? Would it be possible to publih these in an AKA magazine or something similar? Since some of these printed items might not translate well to a publication, can I redraw the instructions. I would like to share these with others but not sure of the best way to go about this. I did contact someone from the AKA who was going to contact the publisher. As yet I have not heard from the publisher. Does publication in one source preclude publication of the same content or similar content in another source?
for example, if I put things on my web site can they still be considered for magazine publications or shared with local clubs?

I imagine this gives you more questions than you bargained for but I would appreciate any help.

Thanks for your interest,

Charles "Doc" Santee

Copyright can be a confusing thing. I’ll preface my remarks by saying that I’m not a lawyer, but I can give you a pretty good idea of the situation based on my reading of the laws. (By the way, there is lots of information available at www.copyright.gov. I will quote that site in hopefully explaining some things.

Regarding your questions, it’s helpful to understand exactly what copyright is and does.

What is copyright?

Copyright is a form of protection grounded in the U.S. Constitution and granted by law for original works of authorship fixed in a tangible medium of expression. Copyright covers both published and unpublished works.

What does copyright protect?

Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed.

How is a copyright different from a patent or a trademark?

Copyright protects original works of authorship, while a patent protects inventions or discoveries. Ideas and discoveries are not protected by the copyright law, although the way in which they are expressed may be. A trademark protects words, phrases, symbols, or designs identifying the source of the goods or services of one party and distinguishing them from those of others.

What does that mean, exactly? Well, all that really says is that the person who owns the copyright on those items retains the exclusive right to reproduce the work, distribute copies by sale or lease, create derivative works, or otherwise transfer the copyright.

Now, it seems to me that the designs (the idea, not the physical drawings) for the kites themselves would have been copyrightable as a Protected Design, if registered as such. If they were, you would see the symbol of a D in a circle, or the symbol “*D*â€
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 06:14 PM

Welcome aboard! Neat stuff! Action Origami! Incredible :!:

from Pablo Picasso:

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 28 2007, 01:37 PM

These are not origami, but I thought you might be interested in what else is being done with all paper kites:

firstfold

Postby firstfold » Thu, Mar 29 2007, 08:15 PM

Jeff,

Thanks much for the information. I will be talking soon with Mom. Luckily, mom is very capable and alert at her age. I will probably ask her to write a brief note granting me the right to share dad's kites just to cover some bases. You will probably see it first on my web site. If you want I will share what as photos here also.

Mike,

Thanks for the info on the paper kite calendar. I searched the web and the 2008 Calandar should be available soon from Wall Mart. If anyone has info on how I could purchase the 2006 or 2007 calendars, let me know.

Thanks everyone for your interest and help

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Mar 29 2007, 08:59 PM

i saw this on eBay while i was looking through kites stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kite-Building-Book- ... dZViewItem
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Mar 29 2007, 09:30 PM

As much as I'd like to be the first to see those kites again, would it be better to wait and see if you can get them published first? I mean like in Kiting.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Return to “Introductions”