We Outa Fly Our Colors

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Draftnik

We Outa Fly Our Colors

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Mar 26 2007, 05:33 PM

I've had serveral people ask me who did the IKE logo, and compliment it. It is nice, Mike. I think we outa work out some banners that show off that logo.

Here's some doodles to get the ball rolling...not so orginal. Flight feathers from a bird and a borrowed form to give the logo flight.

[albumimg]740[/albumimg]
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Re: We Outa Fly Our Colors

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 26 2007, 05:58 PM

I like them! I was just doodling around yesterday myself, but I like your's better.
I like the one on the left best.
What do you think about adding big letters I K E on there too? It would stand out from a distance.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Mar 26 2007, 06:03 PM

I was thinking of the 4 squares of the logo stacked on each other with the images of kites in each square... I'll mess around also...

I have about 15 yards of 200 denier cloth on order from Steve in our colors... even more in ripsop

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Mar 26 2007, 06:25 PM

Babbman wrote:I was thinking of the 4 squares of the logo stacked on each other with the images of kites in each square... I'll mess around also...

I have about 15 yards of 200 denier cloth on order from Steve in our colors... even more in ripsop

Oh good! I was wondering who'd whip outa a few dozen. :P It'd take 36 or more to rival Skywalker. :lol:

The squares idea is good! Premier used to make a thin banner that was all squares. I have a small one that you could take a look at if you'd like. The thin banners look good no matter how the winds blowing.

The thing with putting text on it is it's not easily a two sided image. The kites and squares would be. Maybe it's iconoclastic (what was that term Knoted used?) but kites that make their statement w/o using words, are classy.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Mar 26 2007, 07:40 PM

The kites and squares would be. Maybe it's iconoclastic (what was that term Knoted used?) but kites that make their statement w/o using words, are classy.

that was my thought also... if we want letters on them, I'd say to make the letters detachable so that they can be turned to match the wind direction... or something like that... I'll dude up some of my famous drawings and post them later tonight...

if we can finalize a design, then if everyone made 2 or so, we could have a hell of a display, don't you think?

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Mar 26 2007, 11:51 PM

ok... here's some of my ideas... nothing fancy... my artistic abilities aren't good...

[albumimg]741[/albumimg]

I have no idea if some of them would work, especially the squared off version..

On the one in the top row, middle, I was thinking that the center portion that has IKE in it could be made of heavy banner cloth with IKE on both sides, that way, no matter which way the wind is blowing, it will read properly. Also, all of the radii would be the same as the top portion...

my daughter yelled at me for using HER markers on this...lol

Chris (aka Babbman)

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 12:08 AM

I like the one top middle a lot. I think it would look great with a bunch in a row and or cornering out the spot we are flying at.

Also I think that just having symbols and not I K E on it too, will be lost with newbies. If the lettering is on it, it may peak the interest of asking " What does I K E stand for?" They are simple square letters so cutting them out would not be to hard to do. Not like say an "S".

Just my $.02.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 08:25 AM

All the banners don't have to be the same, as long as they have the colors and logo style kites on them in some fashion.
I think having some of Draftnik and some of Chris's style would be cool.

I agree with Ken, I think we need the "IKE" on there. Illinois Kite Enthusiasts and the Web address would be good too, but that's a lot of cutting...
Ken, can your print shop vinyl cutter cut thru ripstop if it was spray glued onto a paper backing? That would be cool to get the letters pre-cut. How about cutting that sticky backed dacron that sail maker use? Even better
Anyway, without the IKE it looks a little too like a generic kite banner to me.

The IKE to be read both ways: I have heard that some people put a piece of tyvek in between a double layer of fabric to block the letters from one side showing thru to the other side.

As far as the banner shape goes, the square one works if you put a spar along the top and affix it in some way to the top of the pole.
The top,middle would usually use a fishing pole rather than a banner pole, with the pole curving along the top part of the curve of the banner.

How about the top middle banner in a different shape?
Mix some of those with Draftniks.
And add one or two that are all red with the text spelled all the way out in white?

And finally, all those banners can get pretty noisy in the wind unless they are of some design that uses a lot of tension to keep them stiff. I was noticing a tear-drop shaped Verizon banner the other day that seemed to avoid noise, but I didn't really care for the shape aesthetically.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 08:54 AM

Better get your own markers, Babbman. :-) I like Bman's top right.

Also love the bargello pattern on the left. Reminds me of these [albumimg]742[/albumimg] and I'd like to make something along these lines sometime, with Linda's permission.

Another thing to maybe? keep in mind if we have multiple builders on these, is to KISS-keep it simple silly- or we could end up with variation, or too few builders able to make them. Keeping the applique work confined to a single piece would make it possilbe to have one person do just the applique piece and others making the banners. Cranking out a bunch of generic banners, to use as is, until they get the applique on them.

Hope that all comes off as constructive.. All of these are good viable possilbities, I'm just giving the mechanics of it a glance over.

Mike, I'd like to see your ideas. You all can quit fussing about these sketches too! They're just sketches and we all have the imagination to understand what's intended. Cocktail napkin sketches accepted here. :)
TTFN,

Draftnik

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 09:11 AM

I can't draw this up now but...

Imagine the top middle banner and add about a 6" wide, solid color panel that runs the height of the banner along the edge that slips over the pole. Put the Web site address in there on both sides...?

Chris (aka Babbman)

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 09:14 AM

Mike wrote:And finally, all those banners can get pretty noisy in the wind unless they are of some design that uses a lot of tension to keep them stiff. I was noticing a tear-drop shaped Verizon banner the other day that seemed to avoid noise, but I didn't really care for the shape aesthetically.

Linda was telling me what she did to get her banners to quiet down. I don't remember for sure now, but I think she fluffed them up somehow to soften them. I'd definately check with her, but maybe put them in the dryer on no heat? They're still going to make noise, just not that crispy new fabric noise.

Another thought, is tails off the top of the banners...not sure it'd be really visable, but maybe we could get our web address on those. There's the traditional tails for the feather banners or Mrs. Banner herself (Linda again :-)) had some other banners at MAKR that reminded me of flamingos.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 01:06 PM

Jim's $.02

If you place the I K E letters on the banner, each in a horizontal orientation, one under the other in a vertical manner, they will be the same viewed from both sides, except for the K.

I would think you would also want the web site on the banner. It's such a great site. It to would be backwards from one side, but anyone who would go to the site, could certainly figure it out. It's done that way all the time.

Don't get too crazy trying to make it the same from both sides, nobody else does.

Jim :revspin:
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 02:24 PM

Two cents more from Jim.

Perhaps something like this. Play with colors and perhaps add kites or the IKE logo at the top.

Jim :revspin:
Attachments
Ike Banner.JPG
Ike Banner.JPG (22.46 KiB) Viewed 3299 times
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 02:42 PM

I like the idea Jim.
Do you think the small print will be readable when the flag is blowin' in the wind?
That's a lot of sewing of little letters, I want it to be worth it!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 03:34 PM

I'll redo my mock up of the one we discussed above and add in the web address, etc...

because I'm still so new at this... does anyone have a feel for how much material it would take to make this?

Also, I was going to do this in 200 denier cloth from kitebuilder... good enough or should I go 400?

Chris (aka Babbman)

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 05:01 PM

Another idea

If the small print is not too small, it will be readable. I would say make the "small print" as large as you can and space it evenly across the bottom. It should be fine.

If your banner is 36" across the bottom, you need 15 characters, leaving 3" at each end, leaves 2"per character. The "i", "l" and "." don't need 2". You should be able to fit it in. Play with it. I'll try to find photos of banners with such lettering. Another option is to run the www........ down the banner.

You might want to use a font with block letters to make it easy for the www....
Jim
Attachments
Ike banner 3.JPG
Ike banner 3.JPG (23.74 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
Ike banner2.JPG
Ike banner2.JPG (23.95 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
Last edited by Jim Foster on Tue, Mar 27 2007, 08:55 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 06:06 PM

Wow! I just looked and the denier is 60" wide?!

If we do this thing

\/ /\ \/

we could get 3 banners outa a width of it that would be +20" wide, if we stagger the shapes right. Then it's just a matter of how tall we want the banners, and what we wanna use for poles.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Mar 27 2007, 08:09 PM

I have plotting capabilities up to 36" wide (minus margins) and whatever length. Paper templates for the banners can be made to size using a plotter. Can also create pdf's to whatever size with grid for lining up multiple pieces of paper.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 28 2007, 07:12 AM

The plotters sound excellent. The perks of being of Draftnik I assume.
What file format do you like the drawing in? I can send you the logo in that format for a test.

Also, Jim sent me a link that I think is worth looking at. It's a fellow who makes banners.
Here's a series of photos for a work in progress for Monkey's banner (Monkey is a member of iQuad and had one of the first Rev web pages, back in the day).

Also check out the same fellow's home page and the link to other banners under Skyflyer Design / Banner Gallery.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Mar 28 2007, 07:50 AM

.dxf if you've used a CAD program is best. I can plot .pdf,.jpg too. Not colored in would be best too.

Can do .gif, wpg, bmp and a host of others that I'm less familar with but can use.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Return to “Sewing”