24th Culb Fly

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
Kite Slayer

24th Culb Fly

Postby Kite Slayer » Sat, Mar 24 2007, 07:35 AM

are we going to fly to day :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :clubfly:

ttfn
kite slayer

Mike

Re: 24th Culb Fly

Postby Mike » Sat, Mar 24 2007, 09:34 AM

Have a blast KiteSlayer!
Post some photos for those of us who have to miss it.

I'm looking forward to flying with you again, maybe at tbe next meeting.
:LogoRevAni:

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Sat, Mar 24 2007, 05:30 PM

So did you guys fly today? I didn't want to chance the weather with a 2 hour drive. OBTW the get well kite arch is now posted on KBI, go see it, totally awesome.

Banshee
Ceaser viveret ad remum dareris

Think MAKR 2010

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Mar 24 2007, 06:24 PM

Here's the Babbman rundown... everyone else who was there, please feel free to post your recollections....

Chris and I were in Woodridge around 8:30 or so... foggy as hell and only a touch of wind... maybe 3 mph or so... I finally got the opportunity to put up my tetrahedron!... While the winds were not a steady 3mph, it was enough to launch and keep it up for a min or so... seemed to fly very well but got completely waterlogged quick... I don't like the connectors or the dowels for spars... but that's just me... I'm going to work out a better way to hold the tubing together...

After that, I left to go to the Arboretum to fly for Dave... just as Ken was showing up.

At the Arboretum, we had a very very small space to fly in and absolutely little wind...but I have to say that I was extremely impressed by Dave's Pro Dancers as they flew pretty well and seemed to really impress the people who came to the Children's Garden. Thanks to Dave for inviting me to fly and for lunch... If nothing else, I got a great opportunity to fly dual line in no-wind conditions... It was a pretty good time...

Chris came over around 1pm and relieved me and went back to Woodridge. When I got back, it was Ken, Jeff, Chris & Jim and a small gaggle of kids... It was nice to meet Chris and Jim finally... It was good to see Jeff again also... Basically, there was no wind and we flew nothing from the time I got back until we packed up and took off at around 4pm.

Even though flying was a wash, it was good to be around kite flyers today...

Thanks to my Mom for watching Elie for me today!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Mar 24 2007, 07:22 PM

This is for Chris...he asked the question today....

Fifth Third traces its origins to the Bank of the Ohio Valley, which opened its doors in Cincinnati in 1858. In 1871, that bank was purchased by the Third National Bank. With the turn of the century came the union of the Third National Bank and the Fifth National Bank, and eventually the organization became known as "Fifth Third Bank."

Hope that clears it up.

:lol:
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sat, Mar 24 2007, 07:23 PM

We gathered and did more kite talking then kite flying, which has it's fun too. Gossiped about everyone of you that didn't make it, so keep that in mind for the future. Na, just kidding. :-) Too many cool kites to admire and dream about.

We had 5 kids with us today so most of my time was spent keeping them all busy. Ken pitched in and helped out a bit, and Mike may have some competition for being our kids favoritest flyer. :lol: They were very disappointed and skeptical as to what sorta fly this would be without you Mike. Turns out they all had a great time and are asking when we go again. Personally, I'm looking foward to a more even parent to kid ratio! :wink:

As we pulled in there were 2 or 3 cars that also pulled in. People from the area coming to check out what was going on that said more were coming. I gave them a quick sketch of the days activities, but don't know if they got any further info. I hope they got over the Arboretum too.

I was great to meet Jeff, and Babbman, and see the others. A well needed break from the busy hum of life inspite of the poor flying conditions.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Mar 24 2007, 11:51 PM

Thanks, Jeff... one more of life's little mysteries solved! :up:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Mar 25 2007, 12:22 AM

As everyone said, winds were hard to come by today!!!

:evil: :evil: BAD MOTHER NATURE, BAD!!!!! :evil: :evil:

But Chris R. and I did get our double paras up. I tried to inflate Qbert, but no such luck. :cry: All who saw him were quite impressed. So for picture sake, I had one of Nathan's friends help me hold it up and out. So Jeff to get a shot of him. I dont know if he has posted it yet. If not maybe I can get out tomorrow and try again.

As Draftnik had said we manly just stood around and shot the breeze about the fests coming up and who was going where.

As always it was fun to see all that had made it out. We missed the ones who were not able to make it for one reason or another, but there is always next time!! and PLENTY of them to come!! :wink: :wink:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Sun, Mar 25 2007, 09:00 AM

Sorry to hear of the lousy weather, I'm glad we didn't come out there, although it would have been nice to see you folks. Still, someone had to take pictures, but, I didn't see any. It was suppose to be 65 degrees here to day with sunshine, so far neither. On to better WX.

Banshee
Ceaser viveret ad remum dareris

Think MAKR 2010

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Mar 25 2007, 09:13 AM

Frodos Majik wrote:So Jeff to get a shot of him. I dont know if he has posted it yet. If not maybe I can get out tomorrow and try again.

I got pictures and some video. I edited it together last night to make it look like there was a lot going on. ;) Got too late last night to upload, I'll put it up a little bit later...
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun, Mar 25 2007, 10:52 AM

It was good to see other members at the fly :up: Even though the winds didn't cooperate, it was still fun, at the fly AND at the Arboretum! Thanks Dave for inviting us out, I had a great time :mrgreen:

It was really cool to see Babbman's tetrahedron, very neat kite!

[albumimg]732[/albumimg][albumimg]731[/albumimg][albumimg]730[/albumimg]
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sun, Mar 25 2007, 11:12 AM

The smile on that guy, tells all... :-)
PURE SATISFACTION...
and enjoyment... :up:

Is that you Babbman?
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Mar 25 2007, 11:21 AM

Hector... that would be me!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sun, Mar 25 2007, 12:48 PM

Nice kite, even greater kiter grin! :-D
TTFN,

Draftnik

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Mar 25 2007, 04:27 PM

That Tetrahedron looks cool! :up:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sun, Mar 25 2007, 07:36 PM

You are going to make as many cells as Bell did, aren't you?

The Frost King had 1300 cells and the Cygnet had 3,393. Draftnik, you should be happy, these experimental kites had names! :-D
Alan Sparling

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Mar 25 2007, 08:23 PM

I'm going to do 42 cells as it IS the answer to life, the universe and EVERYTHING.

:rotfl

Chris (aka Babbman)

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Mar 25 2007, 08:30 PM

in all seriousness though, I was very impressed with the lift and stability... that one has 34 cells and was up in about 3 mph winds... if they were sustained winds, it would have just been pinned where it was...

My goal is to refine the design a bit and make it very easy to connect blocks of cells together. I think it would be cool at a club fly to have everyone bring a 10 cell or so version of it and be able to connect them together for a mega tetra fly...

In all, the kite is pretty easy to build and ends up costing less than $1 per cell...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Mar 25 2007, 08:35 PM

Babbman wrote:.. 42 ... IS the answer to life, the universe and EVERYTHING.

:-D The reference is to the wonderful 5 book "trilogy" by Douglas Adams.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Mar 25 2007, 08:39 PM

Babbman wrote: I think it would be cool at a club fly to have everyone bring a 10 cell or so version of it and be able to connect them together for a mega tetra fly...

That sounds like fun. And if you're thinking big--when you have a final version, publish it for the club. Then when we have all the kinks worked out as far as clear instructions and assembly, etc. You can publish it over at Kite Builder. And then, at festivals we can have a grand ascension in which we really have just one large kite going up. It would have to be pretty darn strong though. Hmmm, maybe it wouldn't work for a large number of kites.
What do you think?

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”