March 24th Club Fly

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
Mike

March 24th Club Fly

Postby Mike » Tue, Mar 06 2007, 10:19 AM

The other thread was getting off track (my fault as much as anyones) so here we are.

We have [i]April[/i ]scheduled: April 28th, in Naperville.

This month, the scheduled club fly will be on Saturday, March 24th.

I had originally suggested Montrose Harbor, but Al said it wasn't a good place to fly.

If any of you Northern folks don't come up with a new idea, I'm gonna schedule it for Champaign!
We'd have it at Meadowbrook Park. The winds aren't as good there, but it has good public exposure, a great playground, walking trails thru restored prairie, and interesting sculptures throughout the park.

I want to settle this soon so people can plan. Suggestions for a location?

Draftnik

Re: March 24th Club Fly

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Mar 06 2007, 10:49 AM

The Rec Center or the North 40 are probably fit to fly on in DeKalb. The Rec Center is just a stones throw from the interstate and easiest to get to.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Mar 06 2007, 11:39 AM

Except DeKalb is even further from the hub of Chicago than Naperville.
We may have to have more than one fly per month for those that don't like to drive hours to fly a kite.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Mar 06 2007, 12:42 PM

Mike wrote:Except DeKalb is even further from the hub of Chicago than Naperville.
We may have to have more than one fly per month for those that don't like to drive hours to fly a kite.

or those who can't... :lol:

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, Mar 06 2007, 08:54 PM

Montrose is not good for show kites. Depending on wind direction, it can be nice for smaller stuff.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 07 2007, 10:17 AM

Draftnik, Ken, and Chris:
since you folks are going to have new kites from MAKR that you will want to show off and try out, why don't you chose a site convenient to the three of you?

Maybe the park for the Woodridge Kite festival that Dave mentioned. I looked at the Woodridge Park District home page and they haven't listed the kite event on their calendar yet, so I don't which park it's supposed to be at. But a little pre-publicity for the event couldn't hurt.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Mar 07 2007, 08:00 PM

Mike, i'd be interested in car pooling, like i just mentioned in the other thread.

One very nice place we'll have to try one of these times, for a Fly, is the Limestone Park place (west of Kankakee) that i posted in the kite flying map previously. It's a big spot (lots of room!) with few trees, and the public (in good weather anyway) is there a lot (but not to the point where it would crowd us out). The park is referred to by some other name... i'm not sure what it is... i'll have to ask my sister-in-law who lives nearby the place.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Mar 13 2007, 03:41 PM

Mike wrote:Draftnik, Ken, and Chris:
since you folks are going to have new kites from MAKR that you will want to show off and try out, why don't you chose a site convenient to the three of you?

Maybe the park for the Woodridge Kite festival that Dave mentioned. I looked at the Woodridge Park District home page and they haven't listed the kite event on their calendar yet, so I don't which park it's supposed to be at. But a little pre-publicity for the event couldn't hurt.

I think this may be a good idea. As soon as I find out which park it is, I'll post it.

Dave also has en event over at Morton Arboretum on the same day but there is very little room to fly over there... at least it would be close (within 5 miles or so)..

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Mar 15 2007, 11:20 AM

Is this likely to be in Woodridge? I could probably do that.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Mar 16 2007, 01:32 PM

So where are flying tomorrow, so I know how much gas to put in the truck?
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 16 2007, 01:42 PM

Hey Ken,
tomorrow is the 17th and the club fly is scheduled for the 24th :shock:
I think it would be great if we could get 3, preferably 4, rev fliers together this weekend though. It would nice to try and get some sort of team thing going.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Mar 16 2007, 02:11 PM

Mike wrote:Hey Ken,
tomorrow is the 17th and the club fly is scheduled for the 24th :shock:
I think it would be great if we could get 3, preferably 4, rev fliers together this weekend though. It would nice to try and get some sort of team thing going.

I'd like to do that but I have a meeting tomorrow for my video project... gotta get paid in order to play!

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 16 2007, 02:21 PM

OK, since Jeff can make Woodridge, let's make it Woodridge on March 24th.
It will also enable some folks to pop over to the Arboretum to fly a bit for David if needed.

Babbman, do you know the name of the park?

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Mar 16 2007, 02:38 PM

Mike wrote:OK, since Jeff can make Woodridge, let's make it Woodridge on March 24th.
It will also enable some folks to pop over to the Arboretum to fly a bit for David if needed.

Babbman, do you know the name of the park?

no, but I'm going to call the park district right now to find out...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Mar 16 2007, 04:00 PM

ok...

the event on April 19th is called the Emotion Explosion and will be held at Cypress Cove Aquatic Center, Woodridge, IL. This is a combination event that includes bike riding and some other things that used to be held as separate events. This is a pretty well developed area and there are lots of people living around here so most anything they do will have a good turnout.

there is a field to the south of the aquatic center which is where we would fly.

Check the map for pin #7 in the Kite Festivals section to see the exact location.

From what I can tell, this field seems to be kind of open and doesn't have any soccer/baseball fields in it... YET so it should be usable on the 24th. I'm still waiting to talk to the woman in charge to find out more. But, I will drive by the Field on Monday to get a better feel for the amount of space we would have and to see if they cluttered it with soccer and baseball trash.

One thing to keep in mind at this point is that both soccer and baseball and track are in full swing and most of the nice open fields we enjoyed this winter have been overrun by the unwashed masses of over-adrenalated kids and win-at-all-costs coaches... I've already noticed that last years unused fields are now teeming with kids instead of geese.

On the other hand, if this field is not available on the 24th, the field where the Osewgo Festival is going to be held seems to be huge and is completely open and free of sports fields with the exception of 1 baseball field at the North end. We could use that as an alternative as it is probably about 5 miles or so away from this one.

I would recommend the field I use in Lisle but it is all soccer and baseball field and I have no doubt that it is used up all weekend.

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 16 2007, 04:36 PM

Babbman,
I know you're extremely busy right now, but if you don't mind, I'll leave the exact choice of field up to you. If you can post the details on Monday or Tuesday. Maybe put it in the banner ("message from the staff") and maybe even start a new thread with the final details.

Thanks for checking it all out for us. :up:

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Mar 16 2007, 09:36 PM

:oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry about that, my head has not stop spinning since getting bac from MAKR, and another work week from HELL!!!! :evil: :evil: Would still like to get together tomorrow, cant on sunday I have a Rush game to go to. Missed last weeks home opener and not going to miss 2 in a row.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Fri, Mar 16 2007, 10:53 PM

The 24th just got bad for me as I will be going to pick up my repaired female blue devil so I can take her to France. No, Draftnik, She does not have a name either (nor does the male blue devil). I may well have to find a place to air out some gear this weekend to pack for France.
Alan Sparling

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Sun, Mar 18 2007, 12:48 AM

Everyone put on your hiking boots, grab a bag of kites, and head for Grinnell, IA on May 5th. Room for some big ones, a gym for indoor flying, and a golf driving range for SLK, and a BB field and soccer field for demos. Just a tad over 300 mile from my house, but I plan to be there.

[smiley smilie=4 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]Be There[/smiley]
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Mar 18 2007, 09:34 AM

kiteguy,
it's 300 miles for me too, but several IKE folks will be there. See this thread:
http://www.ikeclub.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=463

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”