Light wind kite

All about Dual Line Kiting.
Chris

Light wind kite

Postby Chris » Fri, Nov 03 2006, 10:39 PM

What would be a good light wind kite for a new dual line flier?
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Re: Light wind kite

Postby Babbman » Sat, Nov 04 2006, 06:59 AM

I've been told that the Benson Innerspace is a very low wind kite that's great..

http://bensonkites.com/kites/ispace.html

Then again, low wind flying is something that takes a while to master... or even get used to.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 04 2006, 08:53 AM

Do you want to do tricks or precision or just have fun flying around?
We need to get Tom, the guy that's been doing some real nice dual-line stuff at the last couple festivals to join our group.
Dan, from Kentucky, is also very knowledgeable. I'll try to get him to join our group as well.

ZippyD

Re: Light Wind Kite

Postby ZippyD » Mon, Nov 06 2006, 10:40 PM

Hi folks. Dan from Kentucky here. Mike has vastly overstated my dual line knowledge, but I'll weigh in anyway. :wink:

I am a huge fan of Benson kites and would never flat out tell you not to get an Inner Space. But if this is a first Ultralight, it may be a bit pricey. I would say to spend the least to get the most for the buck.

One possibility would be the swap meet on 'the other forum'. I notice there is a Jack In The Box Light posted for $75. I've never flown one, but I've heard great things about it. For a beginner kite, it should be grand. If you have to have new or want to spend more, then the field is wide pen. There are a lot of more than adequate kites out there in the 100-200 range.

Let me also second Babbman's comment. Light wind flying is a very touchy feely thing. Mike will tell you from quad and I can tell you from dual that it is more finding a place you and the kite agree than it is making the kite fly. This is from a thread on this topic from elsewhere:

"I have taught folks in light wind several times and I found myself saying,
"You're not so much controlling the kite as you are suggesting things to it." I wasn't trying to be cryptic (Snatch the 3d from my hand, grasshopper) but realized that wasn't very helpful. I have amended my non-advice.

In very light winds, I find it helpful to let the kite initiate turns and then guide it through once it starts in a direction. This is accomplished by *doing nothing*. The nose of the kite will pick what it wants. The rest can be as simple as pulling the kite through the remainder of the turn or gently throwing to get into a pancake/540 situation, but the crucial moment often requires you to not act or pull such a minuscule amount as to not be consciously perceptible. I hope this make sense.

Dan"

Anyway. That's a really long answer to a short question. I hope that's ok. I'll be more than glad to speak far beyond my knowledge in the future too.

Be well,
Dan

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Nov 07 2006, 07:17 AM

Welcome to the club young Dan! Hope we get you up to some of our flys now and then. And we'll save you a nice spot at the IKE club lounge at Grand Haven.

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Fri, Nov 10 2006, 12:21 PM

Mike wrote:Welcome to the club young Dan! Hope we get you up to some of our flys now and then. And we'll save you a nice spot at the IKE club lounge at Grand Haven.

Now that I am at this side of the "dualies" as you call them I have a question for Tom and or ZippyDan. As you may now know, I own Deep Space and UL-Gemini. Gemini is excelent for low winds, even for a rookie like me, but my question is: I have PRO DANCER wich is one the best for low or "0" winds, but is not made for tricks, Is there a way to make it trickable? .... I can understand it's a dificult question, but... can it be made that way?.
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

ZippyD

Postby ZippyD » Sun, Nov 12 2006, 09:31 PM

That's a great question that I can't match with any answer.

I've never much gotten in to modding my kites. I've been trying to work up the nerve to do some surgery on my Gem and Gem UL, but I just can't take the thought of ruining my Gems.

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Tue, Nov 14 2006, 01:04 PM

hi guys

well dan your right i own two pro dancers great low wind kite not real trickable but very persise.
there is another kite out in the 0-8 range desinged by dodd its the desire ul very trickable and not heavy on pocket book. just my two sense 8) . and for dennyI dont want to looklike this :mrgreen:

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Wed, Nov 22 2006, 08:37 PM

:nurse:
Chris wrote:What would be a good light wind kite for a new dual line flier?

I'd recommend the Easy Light by Level One. It's virtually indestructible. Does nice flat spin moves like axels and backspins. Not so good at the fade to flare type moves. But a really good all round kite for beginners in need of first UL. Won't break the budget.

[url="http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2620585440046839500qcrWjK"]Image[/url]
Clickable

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Nov 23 2006, 10:42 PM

A Prism Flashlight would be great for a beginner! They can do quite a few tricks very nicely and have very good precision.

If you would be interested in a used one, i might be willing to part with mine for a reasonable price; it is in great shape!

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Wed, Nov 29 2006, 12:57 PM

The Benson Innerspace is awesome. It is an Indoor kite that works good for outdoors as well, just dont take it out in anything over 5mph or you may start breaking leading edges. It is a little limited on the tricks it can do but it will do a 540 easy and make you look good doing it. Put it on its back and you just have to wait for it to hit the ground. It is nearly impossible (for me at least) to get it to recover once there. It can trick fairly well for a 0 winder, 360's are rock solid and easy to perform. I love it best in 0 to 3 mph winds. Axle's, limited cascades are nice and smooth.

The Innerspace has become my favorite kite on days that most people get skunked by the wind.

If you get one, I would suggest getting a couple extra 2pt rods, they are quite fragile and you may need an extra. The entire kite is framed in 2pt's.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri, Mar 14 2008, 07:42 AM

[youtube]H8J1c02uwdU[/youtube]
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri, Mar 14 2008, 07:49 AM

[youtube]LDpLrkiD8Tc&feature=related[/youtube]

-unknown

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Fri, Mar 14 2008, 06:18 PM

I just wanted to put out a couple other options for light wind kites. The Innerspace is really an indoor or zero wind kite. I will list out a couple other kites that I have flown and really like.

HQ Shadow - great kite that will trick very well down to 2-3mph winds. Little heavy for 0 wind flying. Priced very reasonable for it's quality and ability.
HQ Tattoo Zero - Can fly in 0 wind with a little work, will trick quite well in 1-2 mph. Not quite as good in 0 wind as the Innerspace but more trick capable in a the lightest of breeze.
Desire UL - as Chicagokite mentioned, great priced UL kite, not as good as the Tattoo or Shadow IMO but still a very nicely priced UL kite.
Prism Zephyr - Not quite a SUL kite, slightly heavy for a true UL kite but an awesome trickster in 3-4+mph winds and can do nearly every trick if your good enough to match the skill of the kite. Looks great too and has an awesome case/package.
Prism 3D - Great flying kite in the lightest of breeze, can be used indoors, limited on the tricks it can perform. Very attractively priced. For a little more money I would opt for the Tattoo or the Shadow.
Silver Fox 2.3 & 2.5 UL - Probably the heaviest UL's of the list, weighs barely more than the Zephyr (I think....may have to double check that). Great quality & build, capable of doing nearly any trick you can throw at them in winds starting around 3-4 mph. A very skilled pilot could probably do a lot more in lighter winds.
Widow Maker UL - If you got the money, this one rocks!

There are of course many other UL & SUL kites on the market, these are just some of the ones I have had the opportunity to fly personally.
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Fri, Mar 14 2008, 09:53 PM

Hi everyone... :-) after reading about the Light wind kites, I think I am going to try NIK NAK... :up:
( Designed by Jon Trennepohl and Wayne Brunjes. Sails sewn by Heads Up Kites, Pam Kirk and Mike Dennis. Made in the U.S.A. )
When I bought Pro Dancer, I did not know much about kites, but now I can tell if it is from John trennepohl...Is Good. :up:
Tomorrow I am going to Kite Connection and see if they have it in store. I have the felling that NIK NAK will do the tricks I want in 0 wind or very low winds.
What do you think? Has anyone flown one and can tell me about it. or I NAK ???
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Mar 14 2008, 11:29 PM

The Prism Zephyr is really quite nice! It flys in light, but not very light winds, and does trick very well, like awindofchange said. Mark Reed was flying a nice green one last year at Grand Haven.

The Desire UL is more of a precision oriented kite; it is not very well suited to tricking.

Haven't tried the Nik Nak. (Don't fly one if you have a knack for creating nicks.)

The Shadow is very reasonably priced, flies in pretty light wind, and tricks pretty nicely... though it is a bit wild and goosey... quite wild really; it sure looks cool!

Silver Foxes are really quite nice too... the UL version should be pretty good for somewhat lower winds. The 2.3 would be way more suitable for cool tricking.

The Sea Devil Light or Sea Devil SUL... real sweet, but high priced; i was flying my Light today after work... that kind of fun should be illegal! At first i thought that there was virtually no wind... so i didn't think i could fly (this was late)... but it was doing just fine after i brought the thing out. Even later, the wind really picked up... and it continued to fly without problems.

Sano SSLs are also superb... but, unless you bribe Paul or purchase a used one, they are no longer made. Mine are not for sale.

Benson Gemini ULs are a real blast and look very sweet and unique; plus they do rotations like no other dualies; they are made in Great Britain.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Fri, Mar 14 2008, 11:56 PM

Man..after watching ITrix's video, there is no way I am going for something else...I think. That pilot does it really nice and is a good salesman.
You know, now day videos "do" make an statement, cause anyone can writte about how good a kite is but don't know untill it flies..but by then your money is gone.
A video is a bit more impactant...
I enjoyed that ITrix video... :roll: Hmmm. an ITrix... :roll:
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Sat, Mar 15 2008, 01:18 AM

The NikNak is a nice kite but only slightly less old skool than the Pro Dancer. It does some basic tricks OK, but is pretty outdated. The iNak is a smaller trickier kite if you want to stick with Skyburner.
Allen Carter

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Mar 16 2008, 10:20 PM

i think, of the kites that i mentioned, that the Prism Zephyr is probably the best value for the money... and would be best for an intermediate flier.

Another really good value would be the A-Game Light from Jason in Indiana, from his Out of the Box studio. Very trickable and flies in very low winds... and very reasonably priced.

The new Soul, from Flying Wings, is supposed to fly down to 3 mph. That kite looks pretty decent and is supposed to fly very nicely... trickability is supposed to be quite nice (and better, for instance, than the Silver Foxes). But its price is a bit high. It would be interesting to try one of those. Looking forward to reviews on it in the near future.
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Mon, Mar 17 2008, 11:41 AM

Hector, you've got a Deep Space, right?

In that case a Zeph isn't going to get you much at the low end. A lot of people fly the DS in very low wind with no weights and the upper spreader removed.

For a tricky UL (not quite SUL) the HQ Shadow is very nice. Easy kite to do tricks with. I didn't find it wild as Tom did. That's the kind of thing that's pretty subjective with light kites. Then again, I only flew it for one afternoon and in excelent conditions. In 2MPH it was sweet. I bet it wouldn't be a good kite over 5MPH, but then you've got that covered.
Last edited by Kitehead on Mon, Mar 17 2008, 11:47 AM, edited 2 times in total.
Allen Carter

Return to “Dual Line Kites”