MAKR

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
Draftnik

MAKR

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Mar 12 2007, 10:05 AM

MAKR proved once again to be a perfect ending to winter. A chance to hang out with kiters from all over the country, see old friends, make new ones, and thoughly enjoy an indulgent two days making kites. It all went by too fast and I'm counting down the days until MAKR 08. The 20th year, btw of MAKR, and the theme is pirates.

IKE had a good presence at MAKR. Ken and Chris were busy spreading the word about the club. There was also some encouraging comments and compliments for IKE. I expect we'll have a few new members join up, and hope they'll give us a hello here on the forum.

As always, kiter generosity was prevalent everywhere at MAKR. Sharing everything from knowledge and equipment, to laughs and tears, and many treasured gifts. I managed to kill my machine, and was quickly outfitted with a Viking to use. Our kids were even included in the waves of MAKR generousity. KiteSlayer was given a set of dual line handles, that solicited an "Awesome!" outa him. Our youngest recently turned 5 and was delighted with a very special birthday miniature kite for her.

Once I finish them, I'll have a penquin banner, a tiki kite with a raven on it, and a snowy owl kite. Lotsa birds this year and more then a few of them were outright loons. :wink: I got to sit and talk with dropniks about dropping things from kites. Also got to see Jerry Houlk's(?) immaculate craftsmanship on his bear and rig. Betsy Agar and the PIGS Alot crew were efficient and entertaining as ever the beautiful penquin banner class. Barb Meyer encouraged everyones creativity and her class was very theraputic for it. Paul Fieber's calm nature, background music and excellent instruction made for a great morning enjoying the process of creating kites. Starstruck at seeing the Cliff Quinn, I finally gathered my courage to introduce myself. He and wife are as warm and caring as they are knowledgeable. And Dave Ellis forever remains my all time favorite kite builder.

I missed seeing Mike there. Had a blast with the IKE members and still basking in the MAKR glow, not ready to face the week, and looking forward to a much needed nap today.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Re: MAKR

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 12 2007, 11:19 AM

Wonderful! So glad you had a good time. Any photos? Especially of the "birds of a feather" theme?

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Mar 12 2007, 11:26 AM

I'm so disgusted that I didn't give MAKR a though until well after I couldn't arrange my schedule (or pocketbook) to go... that's what I get for discovering the thrill of building until December of last year...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

JJ

Postby JJ » Mon, Mar 12 2007, 05:50 PM

Hey all,

I just remembered that we had a surpise attendee at MAKR this year. It was Ken McNeil from Blue Moon Kites. He is orginally from Rockford. It was very cool to get to talk to him.

Just thought I would pass this along,

JJ

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 12 2007, 06:11 PM

that is cool.
Still waiting on photos :-D
What did y'all learn about dropping stuff? The RC way of doing it intrigued me and I know Chris and Ken used to be into RC so I'm expecting something interesting at the first festival IKE attends.

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Mar 12 2007, 09:22 PM

OK, now that the MAKR buzz has worn off, and my feet are now planted firmly on the ground, I have to say, MAKR has got to be one of the COOLEST 8) things I have ever done! I don't even know where to start...

I didn't really know what to expect when I rolled in Friday night. But when things got started Saturday morning, WOW....

Everyone there was fantastic. All the instructors were top notch, and I learned a TON of cool things. Especially in Cliff Quinn's structure class. It was supposed to cover structure of kites (spars, fittings, etc...) but we ended up making a very cool kite :mrgreen: :mrblue: (see album) as a group.

I think the best thing about the entire weekend was all the folks that I met. It was really cool to finally put faces on a lot of people in IKE and over at kitebuilder :!: :!:

I'll fill every one in at the next fly. All I can say is :up: :up:

I am counting on a very large IKE presence for next year, because I am NOT going to miss it if I can help it!!!

I am still excited about the whole thing :bash: :bash:

Almost forgot...here's some of the pics I took, feel freee to add to the album! http://www.ikeclub.org/Forums/album_cat ... &user_id=5
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Mar 12 2007, 10:59 PM

RRRRRRRR MATTIES!!!!!

Now that I have had some time to rest up and stop my head from SPINNING, I can say with out ANY DOUBT, this was by far the best time I ever had making kites!!! I WILL be at MAKR next year!! :mrgreen: As Draftnik and Chris has said before me, I am counting the days. :up:

It was GREAT to be able to put faces on so many screen names, as well as putting my face with others to my screen name. It was nice to finally meet Dave Ellis and Grant Lovett. I had taken their class and made a few tumbling cube kites. Very well done Guys!! :up: :up:

I am so ready for ANY indoor flying in the future with my miniatures...

My favorite is the Eddies. I can fly them as a single, in a train of two or three at a time. :mrgreen: I will load up the pictures I had taken into Chris's album. (link above my posting)

Babbman dont beat your self up too bad, there is next year!! :wink: :wink: Plus with Chris and I being there this year, we can show you the ropes. :-) Mike everyone was disappointed that you were not there. :( All are hoping that you can make it next year with us. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Mar 13 2007, 12:02 AM

How could I have forgotten this? :oops:

It was so kwel, I went there with no kites in the truck and came home with 12 kites. Ten that I had made and two that were won in the raffles!! :mrgreen: One was a delta made out of a bed sheet, very kwel colors. Could not pass it up just for that reason and the one in this picture, it is the Double DC off to the left side of this shot. It colors are white, blue and pink.Image

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Mar 13 2007, 10:06 PM

Was able to get out after work tonight to fly for awhile. Here are some shots of the kites I won...

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Mar 13 2007, 10:19 PM

Awesome Ken!! :up: :up: How did they fly? What kind of pull does the DC have?
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Mar 13 2007, 10:29 PM

They look good Ken. I'm glad someone got to go out an enjoy the weather today.

In the MAKR pics is that Banshee's tiger rok in the widows? And who's was the red and white checkered kite and what's that style of kite called?
TTFN,

Draftnik

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Mar 13 2007, 10:30 PM

The double DC was no worse then the double parasled of mine. I used a dog stake to anchor it and it held fine. Little bouncy in the winds we had tonight, but not too bad. As far as the delta, I think I will use it to hold up QBert.

Draftnik, I don't know who's kites were whose other then Chris's Rok, which was the ying/yang center piece. I just thought they ALL looked great with the sun behind them!! As far as the red and white checkered, not sure which one you maybe talking about. The red and black one, I think is from the Larkeys, I believe it was a rok. They had a sheet of paper taped to it, showing all the different ways you can throw it together with just three shapes.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Mar 13 2007, 10:30 PM

very cool

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Mar 13 2007, 11:41 PM

Frodos Majik wrote:The red and black one, I think is from the Larkeys, I believe it was a rok. They had a sheet of paper taped to it, showing all the different ways you can throw it together with just three shapes.

No, I forgot Larkey's was red and black. The one I mean was like a very thin rok. Red, white and black. Is that a modified rok or something else?
TTFN,

Draftnik

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Mar 14 2007, 05:45 AM

I think that is called a noodle. The red, white, and grey one, was Barb's. I guess that's the one they keep messing with her about putting into the raffle :twisted:

The tiger Rok is Banshee's. The applique on that is beautiful!

-unknown

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Mar 14 2007, 05:47 PM

If you guys are interested in getting together Saturday night to work on MAKR projects let me know asap.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Mar 14 2007, 10:47 PM

Draftnik please pass on a big :thanks: , but I will take a pass. Snowy is going to take a back seat for now. I have a few other projects I want to try to finish before next weekend, for Kentucky's fest. When I do get back to snowy and run in to any problems, I will be sure to PM you for help. :wink: :wink:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Barbara

Postby Barbara » Thu, Mar 15 2007, 08:00 AM

Just sittin here soakin up all the good messages, helps make all the work worthwhile!!
The tall skinny kite in red-white and black was mine. I call it a Skinny Rok because of the framing. It is framed just like a rok, one vertical spar and 2 horizontal spars, then finished off with a cascade bridle. Typically a noodle kite has multiple horizontal spars, each one bowed.
The multiple horizontal spars keep the sides more vertical, on this the sides bow in to give a really cool 3D shape and make the graphics look way complicated.
Extra points given to all that noticed it was the basis for the MAKR pin.
You know, what I would really appreciate are some photos printed out for the scrapbook. Either print 5 from your computer and send them to me with a short note, or use an on line service. Every week I make at least one stop at the Wal Mart or Sams Club, both in Maple Grove MN. You could send your phontos there, then I could pick up.
OK, now I really have to think about unpacking, first the top layer of MAKR stuff, then dig down to the Fort Worden stuff that never got put away.
Get out the red pen and mark off the second weekend in March 2008, and for many years to come
Barbara

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Thu, Mar 15 2007, 03:15 PM

Just a note of greeting to Frodos and Chrizz. It was a pleasure to meet you. I'm glad that we had the opportunity. Chrizz, do you know anymore Bear jokes?

Banshee
Ceaser viveret ad remum dareris

Think MAKR 2010

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Mar 15 2007, 10:02 PM

Right back at ya Banshee. Looking forward to doing some flying with you sometime in the future!! :up: :mrorange:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Return to “General Discussion”