Edge Binding vs Hemming

Looking for information on fabric and framework? Discuss it here.
Babbman

Edge Binding vs Hemming

Postby Babbman » Thu, Mar 08 2007, 03:37 PM

What are peoples thought on the benefits or disadvantages of edge binding over a single/double fold hem?

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

akillip

Re: Edge Binding Vs Hemming

Postby akillip » Thu, Mar 08 2007, 07:59 PM

I always use edge binding, it gives the kite a very nice finished look. Also, if you simply double hem you have to remember to add about a half inch to the fabric piece. If you don't you can end up with piece that does not line up right when sewn together.

Mike

Re: Edge Binding vs Hemming

Postby Mike » Thu, Mar 08 2007, 08:33 PM

For most kites, I think it depends on what you think looks better and whatever you like to sew.
With binding, you don't have to do that double fold, but you have to make sure you get the material all the way up into the binding. Or do a kind of fancy trick, of sewing the binding down, and then folding it over and sewing it again.
Also depends on if your using double-folded binding or single fold. Or if you're using one of those auto-folding attachments.
I usually hem, but sometimes I bind. It's mostly just whimsy and spur of the moment for me as to which method I'll do.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Mar 08 2007, 09:13 PM

The reason I ask is that since I'm contemplating a doublestar, I saw some pics where they had done a black edge binding that really made it look great... I can buy 1" ripstop strip from kitebuilder...I can probably come up with a jig that will crease the folds I need all at once, making the 60 yards or so of hemming a little quicker and easier...

I did have some problems with a double folded bias tape in getting it to sit against the edge of the fabric when I made a case a while ago...

I think I'll give it a shot... the parts are pretty expensive but the doublestar looks so great and unusual, how could I not give it a go?

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

akillip

Postby akillip » Sat, Mar 10 2007, 08:34 AM

If you want to fold and crease 1" ripstop. Set a Iron to the Nylon heat setting. Fold the fabric over and iron the fold. After a little practice, it should take just a few minutes to fold and crease the ripstop. If the frabric wrinkles then turn down the heat some. But you want the iron hot enough to set the crease.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Mar 10 2007, 01:07 PM

you can also try one of these things:
I've had mixed success with one, but I didn't play with it very long.

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/product/16308.html

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Mon, Mar 12 2007, 11:09 PM

I bought some of the Hancock bias tape makers. I do not like them.

I have a double fold binding attachment, but have had limited success. There is a learning curve, and the folks that make it to the top of that curve have excellent results.

Maybe someday I will be there.....
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Mar 13 2007, 08:06 AM

Chris Taylor has mastered one of those attachments. We should get him to give us a lesson. If he goes to Grand Haven, maybe we can talk him into bringing his equipment and giving us a demo in his hotel room.

I mean a demo of his sewing machine attachment.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Mar 13 2007, 08:36 AM

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

gutter time...

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Chris (aka Babbman)

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Wed, Mar 14 2007, 01:17 AM

I noticed the talk of using bias tape. Unless you can get 100% poly don't use 50-50 cotton / poly. Just like using cotton thread when it gets wet and dry's it shrinks. Stay with .75 or 1.5 oz x 1" or how ever wide you may want your edge binding. I hand fold mine as I'm sewing it on.

Another reason to edge bind is that it's simple and saves time, you can edge bind with hemming at all, although I would not do that on a larger kite.

And as said before it makes a good look to your kite, especially when the sail is light in color.

Banshee
Ceaser viveret ad remum dareris

Think MAKR 2010

Return to “Fabric, Spars and Fittings”