Spring Club Fly

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
Mike

Re: Spring Club Fly

Postby Mike » Sun, Mar 04 2007, 05:02 PM

I totally get that Tom.
We can try to do a carpool if you want, since I'd be coming from Champaign.

In the spirit of moving things around. What about doing this months fly at Montrose Harbor?
That would be north and east of our normal flies and closer for Wisconsin folks. Also would meet some new people and maybe Dave would join us.

Banshee, I'm too old to camp :oops: , but if others are up for it we can organize something.

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Sun, Mar 04 2007, 05:08 PM

I'm also too old to camp, I have a pop up camper. All the luxury's of home, even a refrig for beer, ah, er food.

Banshee

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Mar 04 2007, 06:08 PM

Mike, that is brilliant... I love the idea....

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun, Mar 04 2007, 06:50 PM

I'm in...let's do it!! Maybe David could bring a few things to play with? :wink: (Yes, Dave, I've been talking to Babbman :twisted: )
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sun, Mar 04 2007, 10:33 PM

You need to make sure that the City does not have some large event scheduled that day. Also, I am not so sure that you will get many people driving in from Naperville to check it out which was a stated goal.

But I have say that my real objection is that I just don't like this field. The hill makes for challenges for show kites, I have flown from the top and on the side of the hill. The wind flowing over Cricket Hill makes for interesting turbulence, and my kites are not as maneuverable as a Rev. Which means that I can not avoid the large patches of mud in the areas my kites would fit. I don't expect that the grass has filled in since Dec 26th.

The bottom line is that sport kites can maneuver around the bad spots and the soccer leagues, big single line kites can not. I have flown show kites here five or six times, I can not think of one where it was not a struggle. I will take a pass on this one.

Maybe next month.
Alan Sparling

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sun, Mar 04 2007, 11:28 PM

Sorry, just disappointed to move from a close flat field, to a more distant hilly/muddy field I have struggled with in the past.
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 05 2007, 07:12 AM

Al,
thanks for the feedback. The Naperville fly is in April, and is still scheduled to be there.
Since that's on the west side, I'm looking for a new place to fly in another part of town.
I don't know Chicago well at all, so I'm open to any suggestions you might have.

-Mike

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Mar 05 2007, 09:50 AM

We'd be up for a camping trip sometime this summer!
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 05 2007, 12:03 PM

you guys should camp at the Grand Haven festival while I stay in a hotel! :-D
They have a campground right on the beach.

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Mon, Mar 05 2007, 12:43 PM

Too late for a site. I reserved mine the first day it was openned @ 5:00pm and there wasn't much left at all. You can try as someone may have cancelled they're rervations.

Banshee

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Mar 05 2007, 06:33 PM

If you want to camp in G.H. try here... www.campersparadiseinc.com/
The wife and I stayed here last year, simple nothing grounds and cheap, plus its right up the street from the hotel Mike will be at.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Mar 06 2007, 08:45 AM

Taking a pack of kids to GH to camp would be border line torture for everyone if swimming isn't an option. :wink: Flying kites on the beach, would be great, but not quiet enough. May is just not ideal swimming weather. Someday, we'll make it there, but not this year.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Mar 07 2007, 07:44 PM

Mike wrote:I totally get that Tom.
We can try to do a carpool if you want, since I'd be coming from Champaign.

In the spirit of moving things around. What about doing this months fly at Montrose Harbor?
That would be north and east of our normal flies and closer for Wisconsin folks. Also would meet some new people and maybe Dave would join us.

Banshee, I'm too old to camp :oops: , but if others are up for it we can organize something.

Mike, i'd be interested in car pooling possibly. If you would drive, i'd be happy to pay for gas.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”