Quad fly?

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Mike

Quad fly?

Postby Mike » Thu, Mar 01 2007, 12:15 PM

There's a proposal for the 4th Saturday of the month for a club fly awaiting approval over here.

That's not soon enough for me!

After coming back from SoCal, I'd like to get some quad fliers together to practice some team-type moves. We'll take whatever skill you have and work with it. It would be nice to have a set of moves we can do for the upcoming festivals. We don't have to be iQuad, just be able to fly a pattern and look like we meant to do it. :-D

Three things to practice on your own:
--holding the kite in a hover, upside down and right-side up.
--turning 180° while keeping the kite in one spot, more or less.
--flying backwards. This will be the hardest.

I would think we need 3 fliers at a minimum, 8 would be fantastic.

If the weather looks good, who can meet this weekend?

(Jim, Lynn, Hector, wanna move out to the Midwest? Housing is cheap!)

Jim Foster

Re: Quad Fly?

Postby Jim Foster » Thu, Mar 01 2007, 01:33 PM

Mike

One other thing for your flyers to practice: holding the kite in a verticle position, facing right or left.

I don't think we will be moving to the Midwest real soon. I don't have to tell you why, you were just here and know very well why. :lol:

Jim :revspin:
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Babbman

Re: Quad fly?

Postby Babbman » Thu, Mar 01 2007, 02:15 PM

I know for myself, unless we meet up here, it will be very difficult for me to get more time to fly when including drive time. Typically, I get an hour or so, here and there unless I schedule it way in advance.. but, I believe that Chris and I can get together more often on short notice and short periods of time (correct me Chris as I don't want to speak for you)... can we come up with a way for smaller groups to practice so that when we do meet for club flys, we can more easily do something constructive?

Is there a set routine we can work out that can be practiced this way?

Think about it...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Thu, Mar 01 2007, 07:14 PM

Babbman

Just practice the things that Mike has outlined, over and over again until you are comfortable with the moves. You can to that by yourself. Then when you get together with another quad flyer, you won't have any trouble flying right up next to them.

No particular routine, just the maneuvers outlined. When you get together with Mike, or some other flyer used to flying in groups, they will "call" the moves on the fly, much like a square dance caller calls dance moves.

That is what Lynn and I did to learn. Last weekend Lynn found herself comfortable flying in close quarters with fifteen other flyers.

Even if it is only for an hour or so, practice, practice, practice. You will be amazed how easy and how much fun flying with groups can be.

Jim :revspin:

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Mar 01 2007, 09:20 PM

I plan on writing up some basic maneuvers that groups seem to be doing. It's coming soon.
Bols/Balls, Follow, to the line, threading, with benefits, columns, slow and fast bursts, arches, pinwheels, radars, V's and mountains, Dosey Doe, and ?

But you can't really practice the group maneuvers without a group. It's about lining up with other kites, adjusting speed, and steering around and between other kites.

I haven't done any calling of moves, so I need to figure that out and to practice calling and putting different moves together that make sense.
That's why I'd like some folks to fly with who have lots of patience and also want to give some input to the whole process.

I guess two fliers can practice some of this stuff to a degree, you'll see what I mean when I get it written up.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Thu, Mar 01 2007, 10:48 PM

Mike

I don't know if you have downloaded it, but on the iQuad site there is a 16 minute video from WSIKF 2006 showing all of the moves you list. John seems to be in love with the "blender" and does it about half a dozen times with six and eight flyers, but apart from that many of the moves flow from one to another. Here is the link if you don't have it. The video is second from the bottom of the page.
http://www.iquad.us/videos.htm

Jim

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Mar 01 2007, 11:51 PM

I'm in for this weekend, when and where? I have such a bad case of CABIN FEVER, its unbelievable!!!! :shock: :shock: Let me know.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 02 2007, 08:21 AM

I knew I could count on you Ken!
Anyone else? Rizzuto?

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Fri, Mar 02 2007, 09:19 AM

I'M IN...
Just send my airplane tickets and I'll soon be calling the shots. :up:
I have Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays off.
That means I can leave Friday Eve. and come back Sunday Afternoon or late evening.
I AM READY... 8)
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 02 2007, 10:16 AM

I just checked Hector, last minute tickets are $700 roundtrip. If you ever want to come out here, it's normally around $200 if you book in advance.
Maybe if we do a 2-day club fly in Chicago or maybe Grand Haven would be a good visit.
(and I'm calling the shots! :P )

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Fri, Mar 02 2007, 10:25 AM

Mike wrote:I just checked Hector, last minute tickets are $700 roundtrip. If you ever want to come out here, it's normally around $200 if you book in advance.
Maybe if we do a 2-day club fly in Chicago or maybe Grand Haven would be a good visit.
(and I'm calling the shots! :P )

Great! I can deal with $200
Let's plan it well. Exact dates, times, fly return is important. and I can visit for a couple of hours some close friends I have in Chicago.
And just because you are local, I'll let you call the shots...this time. :up:

Hmm...very interesting... :LogoRevAni:

Watch out Illinois, Hector may be coming to town... 8)
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Mar 02 2007, 12:46 PM

Kwel Hector, Bring it on!!! :-D

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 02 2007, 01:17 PM

That's really great Hector! Will you be staying with your friend in Chicago? You are welcome to stay with me, but I live pretty far south of Chicago.
To get the most time, it would be best if we planned a club fly in the Chicago area. Has anybody been to the park where Chicago Fire flies? Isn't that somewhere out near the airport?

And we can take turns calling, since you will be our honored guest. :up:

p.s.
http://www.kayak.com/
is a good place to look for prices on flights

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Fri, Mar 02 2007, 01:51 PM

Okay, you guys do the planing event, better if it is a big one where you guys can bring all the new home made kites that would paint an unforgiveable acuarela in the sky.
I may be able to pick one floating holliday to be on for Monday that way I can take four days off, but that would be untill you tell me when the event is going to take place. Also I need to know that date for airplane reservation, and buy the ticket in advance. (I allready talked to my wife about it, and she said it's okay.) So, I allready have her blessing, and the posibilities are looking good.
I may be able to stay in with my friend, but I have to let him know in advance; that's another reazon for wanting the date waayyy...in advance.
LOCATION, LOCATION...it's important so that EVERYBODY from Ike Club, can participate, and since we are preparing ahead of time, there will be no excuses for not showing up. "that means EVERYBODY"
Hector

Editing note: Check Chicago Fire kite team, in google's search engine, and find out where they fly.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 02 2007, 04:16 PM

OK, I'll move these posts to a new thread and start a new topic for a major club fly.
Meanwhile, think about flying this Sunday, and read the next post on the next page.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 02 2007, 04:24 PM

For now,
here's what I was thinking of writing up for explaining common mega-quad-fly moves.
This is just a start, I have a lot more to add and I have to check the direction of the 180's on the "benefits" move too.

Tell me what you guys think. Can you understand these diagrams? Suggestions? Corrections?

I want to get it right here first, then I'll run it by John Barresi and Mark Lummas, and then I'll post the diagrams on all the forums.

My idea is for all quad fliers to have 120' lines and these diagrams so when we meet up at a festival we can mega-play if we want.
Attachments
mega-fly-test.jpg
what do you think?
mega-fly-test.jpg (39.02 KiB) Viewed 2993 times

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri, Mar 02 2007, 04:45 PM

Great job Mike, they look like fun!
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Fri, Mar 02 2007, 06:30 PM

Very well done!!!

Keep working Mike. :revspin:
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Mar 02 2007, 08:11 PM

Well done Ol' Chap!! Very simple to read and understand.
Tangle city here we come. :rotfl Looking forward to doing this stuff big time!!

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 02 2007, 09:02 PM

Ken and I are going to meet at Zahnd park in Champaign on Sunday.
Anyone who makes the drive down here gets lunch on me.

For Google map with directions click here.

According to the map, it's 2016 miles from LA. Anyone coming from there gets lunch and dinner!

Return to “Quad Line Kites”