Pakistan: 11 Dead, 100 Injured In Kite Flying Festival

Cool links from the internet
Jeff

Pakistan: 11 Dead, 100 Injured In Kite Flying Festival

Postby Jeff » Mon, Feb 26 2007, 09:29 PM

Not a cool link, but I wasn't sure where else to post news.

:shock:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/World/?jp=CWSNSNGBGBSN

At least 11 people died and more than 100 people were injured at an annual spring festival in eastern Pakistan celebrated with the flying of thousands of colourful kites, officials said today.

The deaths and injuries were caused by stray bullets, sharpened kite-strings, electrocution and people falling off rooftops yesterday at the conclusion of the two-day Basant festival, said Ruqia Bano, spokeswoman for emergency service in the city of Lahore.

The festival is regularly marred by casualties caused by sharp kite strings or celebratory gunshots fired into the air.

Kite flyers often use strings made of wire or coated with ground glass to try to cross and cut a rival’s string or damage the other kite, often after betting on the outcome.

Authorities temporarily lifted a ban on kite flying that was imposed last year following a string of deaths at the festival.

Lahore Mayor Mian Amier Mahmood said that the two-day permission to fly kites ended yesterday and the ban has been re-imposed.

Police arrested more than 700 people for using sharpened kite strings or firing guns and seized 282 illegally held weapons during this year’s festival, said Aftab Cheema, a senior Lahore police officer.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Hector Herrera

Re: Pakistan: 11 Dead, 100 Injured In Kite Flying Festival

Postby Hector Herrera » Mon, Feb 26 2007, 09:39 PM

Very good info Jeff!
One of my fellow co-worker mention something about it, but wasn't sure what it was nor where.
I am glad that we fly our kites under certain level of civilised control, and most kite fliers I have met if not all, are very nice, friendly people. Not a bunch of uncontrolable "people".
Very good Jeff. Hey by the way, start getting ready for next year KP I have the feeling that it's going to be better.
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Mon, Feb 26 2007, 11:12 PM

Sadly it happens every year in Pakistan and India. Most of the fatalities are due to manja (line coated with powdered glass as to better cut the opponents line). Line gets cut, falls across the road and catches on something do it does not fall to the ground, motorcyclist comes along, line hits his neck and there is another fatality. Authorities have tried banning kite flying, banning manja and suggesting that motorcyclists mount a vertical pole in front of the handle bars to catch the line. Nothing has worked to date.

However, it must be quite a sight in Ahmedabad, India with tens of thousands of kites fighting from the rooftops. Does not make up for the fatalities, but I would love to see it.
Alan Sparling

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Feb 28 2007, 08:08 PM

One of the doctors where i work, who is from India, has very fond memories of when he flew fighter kites there. You should see his eyes light up when i mention kite flying! It is quite a national sport/activity in India and neighboring regions. He expressed interest in coming to one of our Club Flys when the weather gets warmer. i just hope that he doesn't go after my dualies while in a crazed frenzy! :shock:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Wed, Feb 28 2007, 09:07 PM

I expect that he will have the same reaction as an Asian gentleman we met out at Busse Woods in years past when it was a very popular flying spot. He spoke little English, but we finally explained how US fighter kite competition worked.

He response: No cut? No cut? (His obvious opinion was "Why bother?"
Alan Sparling

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Mar 02 2007, 11:01 PM

The doctor at work, from India, (actually) seems very cognizant of the fact that, during our Flys and Festivals, we fly without trying to crash anyone else's kite. He still seems very keen on giving it a try and experimenting with "non-violent" kite flying!
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Mar 03 2007, 11:32 AM

I hope he can make this month's club fly. It would be very cool if had some fighters and could share his way of flying too.
I'll trade some quad lessons for some fighter lessons.

Return to “Cool Links”