Hello From A Guy Who Has Got No Clue As To What He's Doing!

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
NewbFlyer

Hello From A Guy Who Has Got No Clue As To What He's Doing!

Postby NewbFlyer » Sat, Feb 24 2007, 10:31 AM

Well I recieved a kite for my 14th birthday (I am now 15) and took to flying the kite pretty quickly. I'm quite horrible and don't have much of an idea of what I'm doing! I can launch the kite well, and do turns and such, but nothing more difficult! :oops:
-Shane

Babbman

Re: Hello From A Guy Who Has Got No Clue As To What He's Doi

Postby Babbman » Sat, Feb 24 2007, 10:40 AM

Shane, welcome!

We all horrible at first....lol... you are young and have a lot of time to get good though... I started flying last year when I was 43...

What are you flying? Where are you located?

Don't be afraid to ask questions... we have flyers of all types here and everyone is happy to help!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

NewbFlyer

Postby NewbFlyer » Sat, Feb 24 2007, 01:15 PM

I fly a New Tech M80 and am in Northeastern Illinois
-Shane

Sheyala

Postby Sheyala » Sun, Feb 25 2007, 07:05 PM

Welcome!

As he said, everyone starts somewhere. Don't worry, it'll come fast. :)

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Feb 26 2007, 09:41 AM

Hey Shane, welcome to the club.
We some great dual line fliers in the club who will help you out. As soon as the weather warms, we have a club fly, hopefully you can make it.

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Mon, Feb 26 2007, 09:07 PM

Sheyala wrote:Welcome!

As he said, everyone starts somewhere. Don't worry, it'll come fast. :)

Hi Sheyala !!! :shock:
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Feb 28 2007, 07:53 PM

Welcome, Shane! :mrblue:

i still have my New Tech M80; it's a fantastic kite! i love the way it does rising fades!

If you show up at one of the Club's Flys (when the weather gets better), i can show you a few neat things. Also look under Dual Line in the Sport Kite Section, for some beginner tips. :wink:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Thu, Mar 01 2007, 01:42 PM

Welcome to the forum Shane. There are a lot of wonderful people on here that are more than willing to help you advance your flying. Don't worry too much about doing every trick on the market, that isn't what makes kite flying special. Its the fun you have while flying that counts. Just have fun and really get in tune with the kite so that you know every little move and how the kite reacts to it. When you get more and more in tune with the kite the tricks will be much easier to learn (if that is what you want to do).

But, if you are an aggressive person who wants to jump in with both hands (he he he) then there are some awesome online sites that can start you on the road of slack line tricks.

First, we have a movie on our site that shows the Benson Deepspace in action. This vid was shot with Tim Benson and Andy Wardley who could probably fly a lawn chair better than I can fly the Deepspace...but nonetheless it is really awesome and inspiring to watch. Here is the link.

http://www.awindofchange.com/images/ben ... pspace.avi

To learn how to do those things in that vid, you can check out these pages which have some awesome online tutorials.
http://www.andywardley.com/kites/index.html <-- Andy Wardley's site.
http://sportkiteflyer.spaces.live.com/P ... e.aspx?_c= <-- Randy Greenway AKA RandyG
http://www.prismkites.com/prism2006/ <-- Prism Kites
(For Prism, click on the "how to" link at the bottom of their page and go to the "trick animation" or "Video" sections)

We also have all of these links on our site if you would like to bookmark them for easy reference. The link page is:
http://www.awindofchange.com/lesson.html

The video's and online tutorials are awesome to watch and give you some great insight on how the different tricks are performed. The ones that I highly highly highly suggest you start with is "Stalls" and "Ground Recoveries". Those will save you tons of walking time as well as give you the basic fundamentals on all the other stunts.

The best thing you can do is to hook up with others in your area. The video's are great but you will learn much faster with someone right at your side helping you on your way. Again the better your feel and the more comfortable you are with your kite, the easier it will be to pick up on the slack line stuff.

Don't forget to have FUN!!!

Hope that helps...I am sure you will have tons of questions after viewing/trying the above. Don't hesitate to ask.
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Mar 01 2007, 01:50 PM

who could probably fly a lawn chair better than I can fly the Deepspace

:rotfl

you should tell that story sometime, Kent...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Return to “Introductions”