What's The Difference?

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
NewbFlyer

What's The Difference?

Postby NewbFlyer » Sun, Feb 25 2007, 05:41 PM

Alright so!...My curiosity has gotten the best of me :oops: , so I'm forced to ask a dumb question. What's the difference? I got the whole 4-line thing, but other than that, what's the difference in performance, size, and anything else relevant. Thanks for your help and putting up with my newbyness. :(
-Shane

Sheyala

Re: What's The Difference?

Postby Sheyala » Sun, Feb 25 2007, 06:58 PM

I'll let the fanatics go into more detail ;), but basically - with the four lines, you have an amazing amount of control. A quad kite can stop dead in midair, fly backwards, etc. I had a chance to fly one in January, and it was a startling change from the dual kites I'm used to. Good stuff, though. :)

Take a look at this video:
[youtube]Mj0FAhBmSwU[/youtube]

(edit: I simply can't figure this board out. Experimentation follows....)

Link

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mj0FAhBmSwU"]Link[/url]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mj0FAhBmSwU

/end experiment. I have no idea why everything looks prefect on preview and fails after submitting.
Last edited by Sheyala on Sun, Feb 25 2007, 07:43 PM, edited 4 times in total.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Feb 25 2007, 07:24 PM

Victoria...

Take a look at your previous post (click on edit) and look how I did the youtube embed...

if you look at all the icons above the color bar on the right side when you are posting a message, you will see a bunch of different types of media that you can embed... youtube is one of them. When you want to post a youtube file, click on the icon and then enter the text after the = from the url...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Sheyala

Postby Sheyala » Sun, Feb 25 2007, 07:41 PM

[strike]*chuckles* Right, but none of the BBcode works for me. Take a look - I broke it again simply by editing. It's acting as if I have BBCode disabled in my posts, but that's not the case unless it's in my forum prefrences somewhere.[/strike]

Sure enough, it was disabled in my control panel. Apparently that overrides the little checkboxes below. :shock:

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Feb 25 2007, 07:57 PM

NewbFlyer wrote:Alright so!...My curiosity has gotten the best of me :oops: , so I'm forced to ask a dumb question. What's the difference? I got the whole 4-line thing, but other than that, what's the difference in performance, size, and anything else relevant. Thanks for your help and putting up with my newbyness. :(
-Shane

Shane, your question is very general so I'll hit some of the highlights... you are encouraged to keep asking on specific issues and types...

single line, dual line, quad line, power kites and a little of everything else in between.

Sizes are fairly standardized on the stunt kites for the most part although Revolution has some fairly large kites (Powerblast Series) and power kites (typically foils of some type) range from 1 meter in size to double digits... Single line kites are all over the place in all respects.

Power is a function of a lot of different variables. Obviously, larger kites typically have more power. Some Revolution kites are large and float like a leaf in a light wind with virtually no pull... when the wind speed increases, the pull increases significantly. Power is also a function of placement in the wind window.

Most of my experience in with quads... I've been flying all the Revs except 2... the Powerblast 4-8 and the indoor. I also fly Ozones and have the Imp, LD Stunt and Riot. I have 2 Dual Lines but don't fly them much. I am currently experimenting with Single Lines both in flying and building...

While we wish that IKE was the end all of places to get Kite information, we really are still building our forums as we just opened for business, so to say, in October of last year.. Feel free to explore this forum as well as any of the other forums on the internet. There is a forum out there for almost every taste and I can guarantee that as you explore, not only will you learn, but you will find new things that you want to learn about.

What we WOULD like is for you to feel that IKE is your home for all things kite. Never hesitate to bring things you find on other forums back here to discuss and learn about. There is an incredibly diverse group of people here who are knowledgeable in all different areas and it's really quite amazing how open and giving everyone is with their knowledge, experience and love of the sport.

I started kiting just last April and in the last 10 months, I realized just how myopic I was when I first started and how much more there was... 10 months later and I am still learning, discovering and falling in love with the sport all over again virtually every day...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun, Feb 25 2007, 09:25 PM

:ditto
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Feb 25 2007, 11:44 PM

Wonderfully put Babbman. :up:

Shane I would like to say "Welcome Aboard", and you can dont need to lead in with "I have another dumb/stupid question" for there are NO stupid questions. Only dumb people for not asking. :wink: :wink: For every one of us here were in your same place at one time or another. Even if some wont admit it. :oops: :lol:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Feb 25 2007, 11:59 PM

Thanks Sheyala, I was feeling your pain too with not being able to post links, etc... till you opened my eyes about the control panel. DOH!! :shock: :oops:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Feb 26 2007, 10:14 AM

With Revolution quads, you can start and stop on a dime.
Here's a sequence a quads flying at Kite Party ("KP"):

We're all experienced quad fliers, but we had never flown together before.
Attachments
kp.gif
kp.gif (128.79 KiB) Viewed 1590 times

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Feb 26 2007, 03:59 PM

That's cool, Mike! :up: Looks like a bunch of bugs flying around! :rotfl
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Feb 26 2007, 07:12 PM

I gave some kid I didn't know my camera and told him to take tons of photos and keep taking them. He did a great job, and took enough to make it look like a movie. And I even got my camera back!

It was a blast, that was the largest mega fly I've ever been in.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Feb 27 2007, 12:01 AM

Too KWEL!!! I am so jealous!!

breath on you.

-------

Ken

NewbFlyer

Postby NewbFlyer » Tue, Feb 27 2007, 03:28 PM

Mike, where was this awesome picture taken?
-Shane

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Feb 27 2007, 10:31 PM

Kite Party is a festival in Huntington Beach, California.
I just got back from there.
The quads flying in the photo are two professional teams, iQuad and Team Too Much Fun, and 3 Ike members: Jim, Lynn and myself.
Mark Lummis of Team Too Much Fun designed the KP letters by drawing in the sand and telling the rest of us where to fly.

A few more photos can be found at Rev's forum:
http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=265

Return to “Quad Line Kites”