Greetings From California

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Babbman

Re: Greetings From California

Postby Babbman » Wed, Feb 14 2007, 11:30 AM

My back hurts just from seeing that..

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:17 PM

Oh, Mike. That makes me wish I could come help. What a job. The last time I shoveled snow was Christmas at my parent's cabin in Big Bear about 1966. I didn't rest enough during the job, and was sick for three days from oxygen deprivation due to the altitude. No fun.
See you here, you may want to bring a pair of shorts. It's supposed to be 77 in Mission Viejo on Friday. It should cool off down into the mid 60s for the balance of your stay

Jim 8)
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Feb 14 2007, 02:09 PM

Well thanks Jim, next big snow I'll wait for you to come on out :-D
We don't have big snows like this very often. It's been years since we've had to shovel this much at one time.

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Feb 14 2007, 04:21 PM

That's brutal :shock: I'm just glad the wind died down, the drifting snow was making me crazy! I'd clear my drive in the morning, only to do it again when I got home.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Feb 14 2007, 04:34 PM

Mike wrote:Well thanks Jim, next big snow I'll wait for you to come on out :-D
We don't have big snows like this very often. It's been years since we've had to shovel this much at one time.

We've really been pretty lucky in the last few years... as we mentioned before, 78-79 was the biggest year...

here's an interesting chart on yearly snowfall since the 1880's..

The 70's seemed to produce some of the snowiest seasons on record...In 78-79, we had a total accumulation of 89.5 inches and much of the winter was below freezing so it didn't melt very fast... I lived in Elburn (near Johnsons Mound) and I remember the plows were accidentally pushing cars up and over the piles of snow on the sides of the roads as they were just left in the middle of the road when they got stuck... My dad and my brother and I spent several weeks helping the country dig out cars from sides of the roads... Add to that the intense winds that blew all that snow around... it was unforgettable... Also, because the High School was about 5 miles west of Elburn, it was closed for much of January... I think we only had about 3 days of school that whole month. They used an end loader to dig a 1 lane road out to the school and you couldn't see above the piles of snow as you were driving so it was incredibly eerie...

About many years ago on Valentines day, I was doing a field service call at Lever Brothers in Gary, IN which is about a 1.5 hr ride for me... I left the plant around 3:30pm in my manual transmission Celica and there was already about 3" of snow and it was falling heavily... as I got on the Skyway, they started closing roads down behind me... as soon as I got off the skyway they closed it down, as soon as I got off the Dan Ryan, they closed it down, etc... since it was rush hours, there was no way to get the roads plowed and it was a creeping, slow mess... no where to go and no way to pull over and stop... I had to potty the entire way... I finally arrived home at 11:30pm... as I hit the last toll booth on I-5 (as it was then known) for me, I rolled down my window to pay and a truck came along side and completely splashed the entire car with a thick sheet of slush.... I was completely covered... talk about adding insult to injury...

as much as I hate winter, I have learned to appreciate it in some ways... I lends itself nicely to allowing an appreciation for normal temperatures and for me, it's acts as a transition point for the year... much like sleeping acts as a transition between days... Also, if it weren't for winter, I wouldn't have the incredibly interesting memories and experiences that I have had.... Like flying an Eddy Arch in -1 degF windy weather... :wink:

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Feb 14 2007, 06:11 PM

I hear what you're saying Babbman.

However, the forecast as I leave Champaign:

Tonight...Partly cloudy. Colder. Lows around 3 below. Northwest winds around 10 mph. Lowest wind chills around 15 below.
Thursday...Bitterly cold. Mostly sunny. Highs around 12. Northwest winds around 10 mph. Lowest wind chills around 15 below.

What I wake up to on Friday:
Friday: Mostly sunny. Highs 73 to 78 near the coast to 78 to 83 inland. Light winds becoming north 15 mph in the afternoon.

I don't think I'm gonna miss the cold very much :rotfl

Next year, grab the kids and take 'em to Disneyland, the beach, and Kite Party!

(actually, I probably wont have the frequent flier miles for next year, so who knows if I will even be able to go....)

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Thu, Feb 15 2007, 08:38 PM

Babbman, You mention Lever Brothers Company!
I worked for Lever Brothers Company, Los Angeles Plant years ago, untill the plant closure... :(
I was doing real good there, my salary was $19.99 per hour in 1994!
My yearly salary was ranging in the 60 to 65 K. on those days.
I worked for Lever Brothers Co. almost 9 years! from 1986 till 1994.
I was a Packaging Machine Mechanic, and worked in Powders soaps, liquids soaps, and bar soaps departments!
We did Surf, lever 2000, Dove, (bars and liquids) and others.

It was a disgrace when they shut down the L.A. Plant...We were earning good salaries, good benefits, etc.

What kind of service do you do for them? or are you still do them?
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Feb 15 2007, 09:26 PM

Hector, I work for a Systems Integrator and we put in the original Lever 2000 soap lines in Gary back in the very early 90's... We also did several liquid soap lines and a bunch of other work over the course of many years...

We haven't done anything for them for quite a while... But lately, we have been doing a lot of work for Dial and I've worked on programming soap lines a lot. I also do lots of work for a plastics manufacturer and have tons of experience in programming Extruders, feed systems material transfer systems and anything else that contributes to making raw plastic...

Very interesting and satisfying work at times... very frustrating at others... as in any job.

Chris (aka Babbman)

Return to “Introductions”