IKE eddy arch

The result of our kite making adventures
Chris

IKE eddy arch

Postby Chris » Sun, Feb 04 2007, 12:47 PM

Well, it's confirmed; Babbman and I have finally lost it! :shock:

I called him to ask if he would help on the maiden flight of my eddy arch, in which he replied"are you nuts?" I quickly agreed to that statement, and we were on our way :mrgreen:

We are now official members of the "Subzero club" :kid: Weather for Aurora at the time: -1 below zero, 10-15 mph winds with 24mph gusts, wind chill -22 below!!!!!! :kid:

So before we are committed here are the pics :mrblue: :mrgreen: :mrviolet:

[albumimg]518[/albumimg]

[albumimg]520[/albumimg]

This is what happens when you try to pound a stake into frozen ground :flex:

We are currently looking for people to join the Subzero club......any takers? :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :eek
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Re: IKE eddy arch

Postby Babbman » Sun, Feb 04 2007, 01:17 PM

I knew Chris would call today... and even though I thought it was nutz to go out in THIS weather, there was no way I could refuse... so in the end, we were BOTH nutz...

Here's what my thermometer looked like when I left:

[albumimg]523[/albumimg]

And yes, it was pretty cold, but you know what? In the excitement of this adventure, We didn't really feel cold out there...

Chris did a really nice job on the arch and it just flew when we stretched it all out... really spectacular...

Here's some of the pics I shot:

[albumimg]524[/albumimg][albumimg]525[/albumimg][albumimg]526[/albumimg]
[albumimg]527[/albumimg][albumimg]528[/albumimg][albumimg]529[/albumimg]
[albumimg]530[/albumimg][albumimg]531[/albumimg][albumimg]532[/albumimg]
[albumimg]533[/albumimg]

Proud to become a member of the subzero club with Chris!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Hector Herrera

Re: IKE Eddy Arch

Postby Hector Herrera » Sun, Feb 04 2007, 02:25 PM

It's... way... too much for me. :shock: I pass the subzero club's membership :|

I was told not to mention how it is in my area... :roll: & I almost did... :oops:
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Feb 04 2007, 02:40 PM

Hector Herrera wrote:It's... way... too much for me. :shock: I pass the subzero club's membership :|

I was told not to mention how it is in my area... :roll: & I almost did... :oops:

Yes you did! You edited yout post!

76 & 6-9mph winds...

8)

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Feb 04 2007, 04:09 PM

That's fantastic guys. The arch looks great!
Most of us are already members of the sub-freezing club, but how long do you have to be out flying a kite to be a member of the sub-zero club?
Are going to have patches or merit badges? :-D

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Feb 04 2007, 04:15 PM

Mike wrote:That's fantastic guys. The arch looks great!
Most of us are already members of the sub-freezing club, but how long do you have to be out flying a kite to be a member of the sub-zero club?
Are going to have patches or merit badges? :-D

Long enough to put something in the air and take pictures of it... :up:

I think the appropriate badge of honor would be:

Chris (aka Babbman)

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Feb 04 2007, 11:37 PM

Arch looks great Chris!! If i would have only known that the Bears were not going to show up for the game, i might have made a road trip out by you too. I am willing to join the Sub Zero club. :twisted: Just a matter of dressing according. Layers and layers, looked like you were pretty set up. Just missing the yellow goggles. :rotfl
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Feb 05 2007, 08:00 AM

I actually had a pair of Smith ski goggles, but seeing as I don't ski(tried a few times, didn't really appeal to me) I got rid of them...would come in handy now though!
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Sheyala

Postby Sheyala » Mon, Feb 05 2007, 09:58 PM

Lovely kites, the arch looks amazing agains that winter sky. You guys are dedicated. :D Going to work was cold enough for me! Definately would be a good time to break out those pocket size hand and foot warmers, did you take any? Still have your nose? How about all your fingers? *grin*

Babbman, think that hat could fly if it had the right bridle? ;) It'd only be fitting...

Awating spring's thaw,
Victoria

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Fri, Feb 09 2007, 08:27 PM

Your home made Kites are beatifull, :up: , you have the coldest weather of the whole USA, I think if we get more pictures of blondy, shelaya, the athmosphere will warm up a bit more. :oops:
Indeed we need natural beauty, to spark our forum...don't you agree?
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Feb 09 2007, 09:49 PM

Sheyala wrote:Lovely kites, the arch looks amazing against that winter sky. You guys are dedicated. :D Going to work was cold enough for me! Definately would be a good time to break out those pocket size hand and foot warmers, did you take any? Still have your nose? How about all your fingers? *grin*

Babbman, think that hat could fly if it had the right bridle? ;) It'd only be fitting...

Awating spring's thaw,
Victoria

Dedicated? you bet! You saw us in Bourbonnais... cold there too but we stuck it out...lol... The arch was really cool up against that frozen sky... we only lasted 1/2 hour though before our faces were red and toes cold...

A flying Dunce Cap... Brilliant! I think you could bridle almost anything and fly it... There is a video here somewhere of a guy who bridled up a tent and flew it... and I heard a story from awindofchange where a guy bridled up a lawn chair and flew it...lol I would love to have seen it...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Feb 09 2007, 09:59 PM

Hector Herrera wrote:Your home made Kites are beatifull, :up: , you have the coldest weather of the whole USA, I think if we get more pictures of blondy, shelaya, the athmosphere will warm up a bit more. :oops:
Indeed we need natural beauty, to spark our forum...don't you agree?

Actually, It's been colder in the past... I remember a few years back in 78/79 with massive amounts of snow (we had 23' drifts across our road) and temps with wind chills in the -70's for a few weeks at a time... it was horrible... I remember the snow piled up to our roof and a one lane road with snow piled higher than you could see over all the way out to our school.... our house was 50 degf for the entire month of Jan... I listened to Rush (A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres) over and over during that time and putting it on now takes me RIGHT back to that time....

Looks like Sunday is going to be a heatwave with temps in the 20's... too bad the wind looks meager for that day or I'm sure Chris and I would be out there...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sat, Feb 10 2007, 09:09 AM

I remember those blizzards and cold! Vividly.

Mom was so sick of being cooped up in the house with 3 kids! We put on every stitch of warm clothing we had and went outside to play at -40. Snow had blown and drifted high around the barn and shed and was prefect for tunneling. One area we got big enough to use as a main room in our tunnel. With the sun shining through the snow and the wind at bay outside the drift, it was really pleasant in there.

Must be something about all that cold clear air that seers things into our memories.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Feb 10 2007, 11:06 AM

Wow.
I've only lived in Illinois since 1990 and this patch of weather we are having right now is probably the coldest I've had to deal with.
I've had the occasional day below zero in the past, but not this many successive days.

The forecast looks like we may get up close to freezing in the next couple days. Who knew that I would ever be looking forward to temps in the 20's!

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Feb 11 2007, 12:25 AM

Very nice Eddy Arch! It really was cold out there; i didn't do any kiting. i might go out tomorrow or on Monday, but there's still a lot of snow on the ground here... so maybe not; we got around 6 inches! i also like the group Rush, Babbman, and A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres are excellent!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Return to “Completed Creations”