February Club Fly--when?

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
Mike

February Club Fly--when?

Postby Mike » Mon, Jan 29 2007, 07:42 AM

OK Chris, you call the first dates.
I'll be gone from the 14th thru the 27th so I'll understand if I have to miss out this month :(

Chris

Re: February Club Fly--when?

Postby Chris » Mon, Jan 29 2007, 06:34 PM

Right now, the 10,11, and the 18 look good. I'll know for sure in the next day or two. The 17th is a maybe, due to the fact I have to find a sitter for the half day Lori works.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Invis

Postby Invis » Tue, Jan 30 2007, 08:56 AM

The 18th is Gwen and my birthday. What a way to celebrate!

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 08:59 AM

The 10th & 11th is Kites over the Bay and the 17th is Color the Wind so it looks like I will be gone again. Don't move the fly for me as I will probably be sick of cod weather flying after three full days in the ice.
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 09:26 AM

brrrrrr. I don't blame you. Any club members interested in attending either of these festivals?

Kites over the Bay is in it's third year.
Map with driving directions.

Color the Wind
Map and driving directions

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 05:12 PM

We're going to Color the Wind.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Feb 01 2007, 08:53 PM

So when and where are going to be Chris?
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu, Feb 01 2007, 09:15 PM

What days work for you, Ken? And have you thought about a spot nearer to you, or does it matter?
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Feb 01 2007, 09:27 PM

Any of the 3 mentioned, would be fine by me. The 18th I might be hurting just a little. I have a Mardi Gras party to go to. :twisted: But it doesnt matter.

As far as a place closer to me. the only place is next to the airport. Which might be a problem with all the SLK's we have been making. :oops: Need to take a road trip to find somewhere that would be between us.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Feb 02 2007, 08:48 AM

Draftnik, you and your family missed the last meeting, do you have a preference?

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sat, Feb 03 2007, 04:20 PM

I'm not sure any of could suffer this cold weather two weekends in a row, or driving very far. So we may have to pass this month too. :(
TTFN,

Draftnik

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sat, Feb 03 2007, 06:30 PM

i'm inclined to agree with you, Draftnik! The weather that we are having is truly brutal! It looks like it's going to stay that way for some time. Whatever happened to the Greenhouse Effect? (Speaking of Greenhouse Effect, i think of what Chris said, at Perry Farm, about Chlorine and all of the innumerable swimming pools in our area... and the tons of Chlorine that's used in them; there's no talk of substitutes for that major contributor to the depletion of the Ozone layer.)

My wife and i were driving back from the Mall today, and she sarcastically said: "You are going kite flying as soon as we get home... aren't you?!" i replied, even more sarcastically: "Yea, right!"
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Feb 03 2007, 09:05 PM

Knoted4ever wrote:My wife and i were driving back from the Mall today, and she sarcastically said: "You are going kite flying as soon as we get home... aren't you?!" i replied, even more sarcastically: "Yea, right!"

My wife looks at the longing on my face and then looks at the thermometer... and laughs...

how wretched is that...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun, Feb 04 2007, 10:20 AM

Seeing as the bottom has dropped out, I think the Feburary club fly should be a kite project of some sort. If we hold it in my area, I voulunteer my basement for a work shop. I have chairs and tables, you folks can bring a bit of ripstop and your sewing machines. If you need to bring your kids, feel free, Maddy will enjoy it. If I host it, any weekend will work.

How about ideas for a project? Train, eddy arch, banners, line junk......

If anyone is interested, let's start planning!

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Feb 04 2007, 04:12 PM

For those that don't sew, fighter kites can be done with or without sewing.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Feb 07 2007, 05:42 PM

Have a great time in balmy California, Mike :!:
Right now i'm ill due to the lack of flying and need a :doc: !
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Feb 07 2007, 06:33 PM

Thanks Tom, I'll be thinking of you guys. But you know? Whenever I've gone to California, there always seems to be a warm spell that hits Illinois. So maybe it will warm up for you next week!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Feb 07 2007, 11:13 PM

Mike wrote:Thanks Tom, I'll be thinking of you guys. But you know? Whenever I've gone to California, there always seems to be a warm spell that hits Illinois. So maybe it will warm up for you next week!

Yes, it will be some 20 deg warmer than it is now...

Have fun Mike... I'm sure that Chris and I will be out sometime on Sunday as it's supposed to be 20!... and I have a 68 cell Catherine's Wheel and I'll have a new almost 4 meter rotor to try out by then!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 08 2007, 08:38 AM

A 4 meter rotor? That's huge! Is a rotor like a bol or basket?
And a 68 cell catherines wheel!
Dude, with all the stuff you've already made you will own the sky!
We'll have to rope off an area at the next festival just for you.
Or how about a section just for people named Chris? (with a guest membership for Ken :-D )

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Feb 08 2007, 09:12 AM

Mike wrote:A 4 meter rotor? That's huge! Is a rotor like a bol or basket?
And a 68 cell catherines wheel!
Dude, with all the stuff you've already made you will own the sky!
We'll have to rope off an area at the next festival just for you.
Or how about a section just for people named Chris? (with a guest membership for Ken :-D )

I'm not messing around anymore.... :up:

The 68 cell (it was supposed to be a 64 cell but I screwed up my count somehow...lol) is really big.... it's amazing how exponential the sizing is! almost 600 feet of bridle in 2 tiers... I just wish I could fly it and get outside long enough to connect them all inside of each other..

The rotor is from over on the Kitebuilders forum.

I had some 1.5oz, 60" wide so I decided to build it full scale... cut out 12 rectangles 55.75" x 15.5" and will cut them diagonally to get my triangular pieces... each one has a folded hem and right now, I just need to figure out how (and how others) hem it down to the sharp edge that sits as the inner ring....... the full diameter is just short of 4 meters and is going to use a lot of bridle as there is an attachment at both the inner and outer ring, all cascaded down to the swivel...

Tonight, I start sewing... Then, I'm going to have to build some kind of heavy lifter to get all my crap up in the air at once... I like the Trefoil Delta shown in this thread holding the rotor up http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewt ... ight=rotor.

I suppose by the time you get back, I'll have a few things done as I just can't seem to find the energy to sit down and do nothing... Elie REALLY wants a 'Spikey Ball' too so I'll have to get going on that one..

Chris found a nice sewing store this week near us and they seem very interested in what we are sewing up... either that, or they are just amazed that there really are men out there who can be man-ly and like to sew...

I was also talking with Chris about projects we could do as club projects, especially since the weather sicks... I mentioned that banners/feathers, etc with the IKE logo might be a good project for 'club sew' rather than a 'club fly'until the weather breaks and we can stand outside for a few hours...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”