Babbman - 10' Spinsock

The result of our kite making adventures
Babbman

Babbman - 10' Spinsock

Postby Babbman » Fri, Feb 02 2007, 11:13 PM

Trying to catch up from last week still... I know everyone saw my spinsock but I wanted to put the photos of the build up here..

I decided to make one of these for several reasons...

1) It looked rather easy
2) It looked cool
3) I like things that spin
4) I wanted to use up some REALLY crappy material that I had sitting here

The plans came from Kitemongers plans at http://www.kitemonger.com/kiteplan/spinsock/index.html

This was really pretty easy to build except for the fact that I had to measure/splice/cut some crinkled and very thin material. I was also not too happy with hemming the long edges and then laying them on top of each other and seaming them... 4 layers of material with 2 layers of thread... all of it near the edge and it didn't leave much material to get under the presser foot.... I need to find a better way to do this when I make a 20 footer :shock:

I also changed the plan just a bit to use 4 colors rather than 3. Instead of making each piece 12" x 10', I made them 9" x 10'.

[albumimg]504[/albumimg]
These are just the pieces laid out before slitting them diagonally

[albumimg]505[/albumimg]
This is after slitting them. Thank goodness I have a big kitchen... since I don't have a ruler 10' long, I ended up taking each rectangular piece, measuring as instructed in the plan and then I took a piece of string and laid it on the marks. I then just took and marked along the string every foot or so and used those marks to make the cuts a little at a time. Seemed to work pretty well.

[albumimg]506[/albumimg]
This is one piece hemmed up.

[albumimg]507[/albumimg][albumimg]508[/albumimg]
2 views of the pieces sewn together. In retrospect, this was the easy part.

[albumimg]465[/albumimg]
The finished product before the club fly. No light or wind to test with... Just had to wing it and hopped it worked. That final seam was a real pain to keep lined up with the twist that had to be put in it... it didn't help that keeping it under the presser foot was so awfully difficult also...

[albumimg]465[/albumimg]
A close up of the tail section

[albumimg]511[/albumimg]
The finished product... and it actually worked! Well worth the time involved...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Re: Babbman - 10' Spinsock

Postby Chris » Fri, Feb 02 2007, 11:22 PM

It's a shame I didn't get to see all the cool spinning stuff on the last fly :(
But...I will on the next one :up:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Return to “Completed Creations”