Beginners' Tricks

All about Dual Line Kiting.
Knoted4ever

Beginners' Tricks

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 09:11 PM

Basic Tricking ---- Axels and Stalls

At the last Club Fly :clubfly: , i was helping with a couple of the basic tricks, which i would like to quickly review here. Winds were a bit brisk and even choppy that day, but nevertheless, people were still doing very well.

Tricks take time to learn (but learning in itself is a load of fun!)... oftentimes one has to try at them for many sessions before any progress is noted at all; never be discouraged... unless you get physically hit by a huge load of bird droppings!

STALLS:

One of the first things that one needs to learn, when wishing to trick a dual line kite, is how to put the kite into what is called a "Stall" or "Snap Stall". This maneuver involves getting the kite to hesitate in the air, cutting off its natural momentum, thus placing it in a basic position wherein you can get it to do a number of trick-oriented things that, otherwise, would be difficult to do. Stalls, in and of themselves, do not merely have to be a means to an end; if done properly, they can even look very impressive by themselves alone. The kite is moving along, then suddenly is freezing in the sky, which can be quite impressive indeed!

The action which you are performing, when doing a Stall, is getting the kite to negate the friction of the wind on the sail. So you are getting the kite to dump wind from the sail and suspend itself without as much wind momentum.

One of the best ways to do this is to think of yourself as if you were holding the steering wheel of a bus that has its steering wheel on more of a horizontal (rather than vertical) plane. Have your hands as if they are holding opposite ends of that steering wheel without sliding or letting go.

1.First get the kite toward the outer edge of the wind window (i.e., at the edge of where the wind pulls the kite); go slowly, let's say with the kite going toward the right!
2. Tilt the kite nose up by suddenly pulling your left hand.
3. Simultaneously push with your right hand (remember: as if you had those hands affixed to that steering wheel!)
4. Then quickly reverse by pulling with your right hand and pushing with your left.
5. If you do this rapidly (in quick succession) like you are shaking that steering wheel back and forth like a rather crazed bus driver... you will have a nice Stall; watch the nose of the kite and try to have it end straight up at 12 Noon.
6. Shake the wind right out of that baby with those opposing motions! Walking/moving forward, toward the end of the process, may also help to keep the kite in a nice Stall; the amount of forward motion would be adjusted according to the wind conditions at the time.

AXELS:

They say that once one learns how to do an Axel, one is hooked... one wants to learn more and more tricks!

There are many forms of Axels and a number of ways to get the kite into an Axel. Some of the techniques for putting kites in Axels, on some of the Training tapes and DVDs, seem OK... and others seem rather absurd, to me; but that's just my honest opinion.

Here's how i suggest doing them (which may or may not be right 4 U):

1. Stall the kite or place it slowly at the edge of the wind window (fairly high up in the sky). For our purposes, let us say that we are on the left side of the wind window.
2. Have the kite's nose facing to the left with little or no momentum to the kite (i.e., the kite should basically be Stalled, though it can be flying gently to the left without much momentum).
3. Pull your right hand back and downward moderately, getting the nose of the kite to turn up and toward the right; this movement is a bit more like a light pop toward the end of its movement (rather than merely being a pull).
4. Right before the nose of the kite hits High Noon, pop your left hand down and back with a nice, quick but moderate pop.
5. As you are popping with your left hand, still tug the right hand down a little but then quickly give measured slack with your right hand.
6. Immediately after, give slack with the other (left hand) so that now both hands are giving measured slack. Give enough slack so that the kite spins horizontally, around 360 degrees.

Timing is everything! You can also, once you get good, give the kite a little additional help by again giving a little pull with the right hand as the kite comes around toward you again, toward the end of its 360 degree rotation; this keeps the nose down (from being uplifted) and helps with the spin!

There are also Spin Axels, Axel Landings, Axel Take-Offs, and a number of other Axel oriented moves, like the Half-Axel and Half Axel-to-Fade... and a lot of other neat Axel-type stuff...

One other thing.... You need a nice trick oriented kite to do these things. Invest in a better kite (save up and get a nice flying-machine) and you will be far better off than trying to do tricks with a kite that is not designed to do them well; in other words, try to get a decent, trickable stallion kite, not a Merry-go-round thing that will keep you going in circles! Some new trick-worthy models are coming out, or already exist, that are very reasonably priced.

from Emily Dickinson:

Too happy Time dissolves itself
And leaves no remnant by --
'Tis Anguish not a Feather hath
Or too much weight to fly -
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Re: Beginners' Tricks

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 01 2007, 08:06 AM

Thanks Tom,
those are very clear instructions.
Have you tried any of the entry-level trick kites? Are there a few that you can recommend?

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Thu, Feb 01 2007, 01:19 PM

Great instructions, very well put and said. One thing I have found for an ultra flat axle is to stall the kite and move towards it slightly so that the kite just barely starts to back up, just as if you were going to land the kite. At that moment initiate the axle. The kite used will make all the difference in the world.

As for some beginner kites some that quickly come to mind is the following:
Flying Wings Acrobatx - Retail $80.00 (for the price you wont find a better tricking kite)
Flying Wings Silver Fox - New kite this year - initial reports look good. Priced slightly more than the Acrobatx.
Premier Addiction
Premier Nighthawk - this kite was designed by Jon Trennepohl & Wayne Brunjes and tricks like a pro.
New Tech Big Bang
Prism E2
Prism Hypnotist - previously called the Mirage
Prism Quantum

Most of the above kites can be purchased for $150.00 or less and will do nearly everything you throw at them.

Just my suggestions - I am sure there are others who will add to this list.
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Feb 01 2007, 08:05 PM

awindofchange wrote:As for some beginner kites some that quickly come to mind is the following:
Flying Wings Acrobatx - Retail $80.00 (for the price you wont find a better tricking kite)

This brings a smile to my face... my 1st REAL kite purchase was the Acrobatx and guess who sold it to me? :-)

Kent was the only person I called who had one in stock and he took the time to explain and talk to me... Also, I'll never forget one thing that Kent told me that day...

"if you want something REALLY cool, get a Revolution"

How absolutely prophetic those words of wisdom were....

Of course, I would have never guessed just how deep into the waters I would venture since that fateful day at the end of last April... and here I am...

Gee, THANKS, Kent.... :up:

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Feb 01 2007, 09:43 PM

awindofchange wrote: One thing I have found for an ultra flat axle is to stall the kite and move towards it slightly so that the kite just barely starts to back up, just as if you were going to land the kite. At that moment initiate the axle. The kite used will make all the difference in the world.

That's also a very good way to axel. In fact, it's the way that i had first learned to axel... which is like what Dodd Gross teaches in his Flight School DVDs/videos. i prefer the way that i had described, however... which cranks out very flat axels without the need to hesitate much beforehand; i can do nice repetitive axels in hurricane (or near hurricane) conditions.

This list of kites that you suggest seems very nice for trick-seeking beginners! i still have an E2... those are pretty nice. The Silver Foxes look like they would be excellent... and the upcoming and reasonably priced David Gromberg Temptation, FireFly and Charisma kites also look to be most excellent (and will even come with roll-bars)!
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 09:02 PM

I'm just going back over this after the lesson you gave me yesterday, Tom. How about if I post some of the video that I took while you were showing me the axel...?
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 11:05 PM

That is a splendid idea, Jeff! Just edit out that first erroneous part, when i was talking to you and the winds were high, at one point, i messed up a little bit (while thinking, not flying); just go more with what i did a bit later... which looked better (and i was still talking).

Maybe we can do more trick tutorials now and then and add them for IKE's website! :mrblue:
Tom P.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Apr 23 2007, 12:03 AM

All righty, here we go. :up:

[googlevideo]6223635781230416405[/googlevideo]

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Apr 23 2007, 09:57 AM

Nice! :up:
Jeff, go ahead and start a new topic titled Tom's Trick Tutorial Videos or something like that.
We can collect Tom's video's there.

Now we just need a second videographer so we can film Tom and the kite simultaneously and do a picture in picture kinda of thing.
Some slow-mo would be good too.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Apr 23 2007, 10:42 AM

Mike wrote:Nice! :up:
Jeff, go ahead and start a new topic titled Tom's Trick Tutorial Videos or something like that.
We can collect Tom's video's there.

Now we just need a second videographer so we can film Tom and the kite simultaneously and do a picture in picture kinda of thing.
Some slow-mo would be good too.

Ha! You beat me to the punch.

I was just thinking that I might recut that with a couple slo-mo takes.

Also, I wasn't really filming with the express idea of making a tutorial, but I was thinking after the fact, if we do this again, how would I improve it? Two things...first, assuming there is one camera filming, have him run through two identical takes so that I could possibly do a split screen or inset. Second, put a wireless mic on him for clear audio. (I have one on order as it happens.)

IKE is on Image too!

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Apr 23 2007, 10:00 PM

Cool! :up: i'll work on having more plastic surgery done so that i'll be more presentable to the public.

Also, closely review what i had written (previously) above regarding axels.

Seriously, though, i have loads of written stuff on how to do tricks (from different suggestions by different people at different times)... some of it is good and some of it has real flaws and imperfections; i know what worked for me, though, and what didn't. What i wrote (by hand) was often revised some later, in relation to what worked best for me. i would be able to use a lot of it for tutorial stuff; only the best stuff would be used, though, refined! Some stuff is even rather unique, like the Moebius to Fade thing that i did a lot in the larger video that Jeff graciously uploaded.

It finally downloaded, on my dial-up system... and i'd just like to mention that the winds were pretty high when Jeff videotaped me. Axels done in more reasonable winds would look better. Some kites do flat axels and are better than others for that; some are easier to axel than others. Some kites can do pretty flat axels even in very high winds... such as the Benson Gemini kites and the Benson MiniGems. Also, once you get good at doing axels in this basic way, there is a thing or two that you can further do to make them look even better... which we can go into later.
Tom P.

Return to “Dual Line Kites”