January 27, 2007 Club Fly

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
Mike

January 27, 2007 Club Fly

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 09:15 PM

Time: 9:00 am until Dark.

And here are directions from Tom:

It's at the corner of Bethel Dr. and Career Center Rd. in Bourbonnais.

It is not far from Perry Farm. Take Interstate 57 to Bourbonnais to Rt. 50; go south on Rt.50 to the first big set of lights (big intersection) and go west on Armour Rd. Keep going west past a stop sign and a small set of lights or two and get to the first big intersection (which is North Convent St. or also called Routes 45/52)... turn right (north) on N. Convent (there's a gas station on your left as you are about to turn right onto Convent, by the way); go a few blocks north (there will, to your right, be a small field and suddenly a road going to a small set of stores)... directly opposite of that (as you are going north on Convent) is Bethel Dr. (to your left); take Bethel Dr. west, going past a couple of stop signs. Then, as you continue to go west on Bethel... look for the soccer fields on your left, before you get to Career Center Rd.

Mike

Re: January 27, 2007 Club Fly

Postby Mike » Sat, Jan 27 2007, 07:27 PM

Wow! A great day! I seem to have hurt my hand and I'm having difficulty typing, so I'll have to leave it to someone else to summarize our day.
But a really, really, really, big pat on the back to Chris for the publicity! There was a big article in the local paper and it brought several people out to watch us and to participate. I think we got a couple new club members and have introduced some new people to kiting.

The forum software shrinks the photos, but I think you can almost read this. Just keep clicking on the photo to make it larger:
[albumimg]466[/albumimg]

Again, mad props to Chris!

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jan 27 2007, 07:35 PM

Click here for a larger version of the article.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sat, Jan 27 2007, 08:05 PM

i had a great time today at the Fly in Bourbonnais. It was great seeing some of you again (and meeting the new people). There was Sheyala, who was, with great precision, flying her dual line in the rather rapid winds; and Gwen, her husband, and son Joe, were there flying very well and watching with interest; hopefully, they will be new members! Bob was there flying his trusty Beetle; alas, he had no computer... but we'll keep in touch with him via phones. Babbman and Ken had their fancy homemade stuff out there; and it was more than impressive! Superb work you guys! Steve, Invis, Mike, Ken, and Matt were flying their quads... doing a fantastic job! The public stopped by periodically and watched and even participated! It's a shame that the flying pig was not at the event; my mother-in-law couldn't make it! :wink:

That Country Market front-page newspaper article that Chris initiated was quite a pleasant surprise! i'm sure that it was a factor with bringing in the public on-lookers... and it introduced new people to the club!... Fantastic! Thanks so much, Chris!

It was very nice talking to you all at the Donut Store. Now that we know we can take the freezing elements in stride... we can have next January's Fly at the top of Mount Everest!

Mike... On the way home, it was getting dark (as i had to stop at Petco to enquire about a new parakeet for our classroom and whether they accept IL.Board of Educ. vouchers) and, as i was driving... all of a sudden my pants started emitting a bright light that was pulsating!... it was that LED Mini-Light thingy that you gave me; i had forgotten all about it... and my flashing pants, that were still quite damp, by the way, were quite the surprise as i was driving along! (i had enough surprises with my pants today!) That Mini-light is sure bright! Thanks much again for that!... i'll have to get a bunch of them for the Naperville Fly; they will be perfect! And Mike... there was a copy of the Country Market Paper, that i noticed at the pet store, adjacent to the front door, and they told me that i could take it... so no need to return the copy that you now have!

There may be a vicious rumor circulating... that i flew a quad kite from the Darkside for a while, at the Fly, and had a big smile :mrblue: on my face. Do not believe any such nonsense; i am much too involved in deep Yoda-like philosophy and goodness to be tempted over to the Dark Side of the Force. My saber-sword (i.e., kite bag with internal glowing Mini-light) is ready for the next encounter... and (like Luke Skywalker) i will continue with practicing my flying... so as to quell, once and for all, the 4orces of dark evil that rage across our galaxy.

My wife this evening, on her way home from babysitting in Kankakee, almost hit a gigantic deer; thank goodness she is OK! i suspect that they come to lick the salt on the streets, from the plows and de-icing; it is a very precarious situation!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jan 27 2007, 09:45 PM

it was really a great day today... everyone was in a great mood and lots of people stopped by to see what was up.

I'm not going to deny that it was rather chilly... it was... but MY excitement in getting up all the stuff I have made over the last month and in seeing all the stuff that Ken made and the thought of a whole, uninterrupted day of being with the rest of IKE made the chill seem like nothing... except in my fingertips....

On the drive down, from Aurora, it took me 1:20... on the way home, 1:45... I believe that on the weekends, 88-294-80-57 is the only way to go. It may be a few more miles but not having to deal with any city traffic more than makes up for it. On the way home, I took 57-80-55-59-30... all the traffic in Plainfield was pathetic and I will never go that way again. BUT, once they open the 355 extension to 80, I can see this drive taking only 1:15 or so....

Chris, we missed you... but I called Chris on the way home and filled him in on what was going on.

Tom... you kill me... just go ahead and admit that 4 line control, while different, is a blast... it won't diminish you in our eyes... and remember, WE are the ones that count...lol

A funny story... Early in the day, Tom and I met for only the second time since October... we reintroduced ourselves again and talked for a few mins... I went back to my car, took off my sunglasses and put my regular ones on... When I walked back to where Tom and Mike were, Tom looks at me and introduced himself again... :rotfl ... didn't recognize me without the sunglasses!... It was pretty funny...

I got to put up everything I had except for my Rok... The flowform flew great but I had it on too short of a line... I had no idea what to expect with it so I was real conservative. I put all 3 Catherine's Wheels and my 10' spinsock on the line and it held it up as well as could be expected on the short line... I don't think the 24' tubes helped with lifting but I had to put them on... Next time, I'll plop a drogue on it to see if it makes a difference... At the end of the day though, I saw the flowform laying on the ground about 100 feet from where it should have been if it was grounded... then I noticed that the line had snapped and my stuff was kind of everywhere... I have a feeling that the way I had the caribiners on the line holding up the CW's may have been the problem.

My Circoflex flew surprisingly well in the strong winds... I had one pretzel and one snapped line. Thanks for grabbing it Steve! A 50# line wasn't good enough I guess....

My Sled was up and down all day... Glad it relaunches itself well... it didn't like the choppy winds all that much but looked great with 2-48' and 1 96' tail on it... not much pull though

The Catherine's Wheels worked GREAT... I didn't realize what they really looked like until I watched some of the video I took... The spinsock worked very well also and I was VERY happy with the 50# ball bearing swivels that I put on all my spinning things.... cheap and worked well all day. I'll get them all strung up inside of each other for the next fly... I think I'm going to build a 60 cell version in the same color scheme..

Ken, your spinsock looked great also and it was a great idea to use the material you used... Gus was OUTSTANDING and your sled was WAY better behaved than mine... Colors really pop and your drogue was excellent... great job...FYI Ken, the bearings I used came from Sports Authority in the fishing section. #50 and about $1 each

I was happy to see everyone else there and pleased to meet a few new people...

I love this sport and especially love being able to share it with others... this club was a GREAT idea and very much needed...

Looking forward to the next club fly!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Jan 27 2007, 10:06 PM

Thanks guys, I'm glad things went well for the fly!! :up: :LogoRevAni: All was not lost for me though, I managed to get out for a couple hours, and get most of my single line stuff up. The winds up here were pretty nasty. Gusty and all over the place. The only kites that flew exceptionally well were my flowform, and rok. I almost couldn't get the rok down. I was amazed at the PULL :shock: It pulled WAY harder than my sled or flowform. I had to get a couple of gusts at better than 20 mph; the fiberglass spars held up fine though :wink:

I was glad to get out, but definitely not the same as flying with my IKE friends :(

I also managed to throw together a half size circoflex today (man are they easy to build!!!) Only problem is I have no spars for it :rotfl

Post pics from the fly, I have to see the kites!!! :bash: :bash: :bash:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jan 27 2007, 10:30 PM

Here's my pics...

Some thing I thought I had pics of ended up being video shots...

[albumimg]467[/albumimg][albumimg]468[/albumimg][albumimg]469[/albumimg]
[albumimg]470[/albumimg][albumimg]471[/albumimg][albumimg]472[/albumimg]
[albumimg]473[/albumimg][albumimg]474[/albumimg][albumimg]475[/albumimg]
[albumimg]476[/albumimg][albumimg]477[/albumimg][albumimg]478[/albumimg]
[albumimg]479[/albumimg][albumimg]480[/albumimg]

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Jan 27 2007, 10:42 PM

Very cool folks, very cool!!!!!!! :up: All the homemade stuff looks AWESOME :mrgreen: :mrblue:

Looks like IKE could use a lot more banners! Yes Babbman, I think you could have used another 75-100 feet on the Parasled to get it up into the smoother air. I have problems with mine in the gusty winds also, if it's not high enough. In steady wind it's a very stable kite!

I guess spinsocks are the new thing; I guess I may just have to make one :twisted: Thanks for the pics.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

stevebell

Postby stevebell » Sun, Jan 28 2007, 12:22 AM

Great fly, today! Nice member turnout, lots of new people, and great winds! (and no Po-lice!) :wink: I'm glad we got away with the location...much better area and conditions than Perry Farm. If we talk to the right people we might be able to make this a regular club fly site.

It's always a treat to fly with you guys. (Missed you Chris, Draftnik, KiteSlayer, etc.) Nice to put a face to the name, Sheyala. (Did I hear you say 'I might need to get one of these' after flying a REV???) :revspin: :twisted: (BTW, is there any significance to your screen name? Sounds cool, but where does it come from?)

Gwen, husband (name?), and Baby Joe, welcome to the club! I wish I could have seen you flying the Hawaiian, but I was busy with a vented REV. (Gotta get me one!)

Mike, Chris, and Ken, thanks for letting me fly your vented REVs. My EXP was way too squirelly (sp?) to fly well in the stronger winds we had. And Mike, it is always a pleasure flying next to you. My skills always improve just by watching and trying to copy what you do! And rumor has it that there is another vented in the club, but it didn't show its' face. Just having too much fun with your REV II, or what, Denny? :shock:

Quite a spectacle today. Looking forward to the next :clubfly: !

Steve (AKA Crash)

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Jan 28 2007, 10:19 AM

I'm glad y'all had such a good time! It was great meeting Victoria and Gwen.
I'm hoping the fellow from India will find us again. I'd like to learn about the Indian way of flying fighters from him.
I got an email from Katie and sent her plans on making a pocket-sled. I encouraged her to join us here on the forum with any questions.

I'm already looking forward to the next fly. Chris, since you missed out this time, why don't you start a new thread with your first choice
of days for February.

Knoted4ever, you sure have exciting pants :-D I'm glad your wife survived the deer encounter unscathed. I almost hit a deer once too, it felt like my hair stood on end like in the cartoons. A scary experience.
And though you may try to ignore the dark side, many of the best fliers out there fly both dual and quad. Think of how well rounded you would be! And your difficult pants would be lighter once you spend the all that cash on Revs!

Invis

Postby Invis » Sun, Jan 28 2007, 11:24 AM

I really enjoyed flying with everyone again. And meeting new members. Especially one with the same birthday as me! BTW Happy birthday Joe's dad!

I just got a chance to read Fridays Kankakee Journal (the daily paper in this area) and saw that SOMEONE (we wont mention any names just that this guy is a great Rev flier, has a beard and drives up from Champaign) Got us a spot in the "what's happening this weekend " section of the paper.

A short blurb about the club, our website and the fly.

Next cold weather fly I am bringing the MR HEATER, my Wind River gas stove to heat some coffee and hot choclate and glove liners (like Ken's).

See ya next fly!

Invis (or as I'm better known to the Bourbonnais Police...Knotted4ever) :rotfl

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Jan 28 2007, 11:48 AM

I only have a quick moment to type right now...

It was BLAST once again and will post pictures and my full run down of the days event from my eyes later tonight!!! :up: :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Jan 28 2007, 03:26 PM

i wish you guys could have seen how that Mini-light illuminated the whole front of my car; while driving in the dark, it was quite a shocker! :shock: i must have moved slightly, which was enough to activate the little on/off button.

The pics look very nice, Babbman! Those Catherine's Wheels sure were cool!

quote from Yoda:

“Remember, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Luke... Luke... do not... do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor or suffer your father's fate you will. Luke, when gone am I... the last of the Jedi will you be. Luke, the Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned, Luke. There is... another... Sky... walker.â€
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

stevebell

Postby stevebell » Sun, Jan 28 2007, 08:30 PM

..."Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny..."

Seems to me that you started 'down the dark path' Saturday! :revspin: :revspin: :twisted: :revspin: :revspin:

Steve

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Jan 28 2007, 09:46 PM

Well another club fly has come and gone. :cry: But it was another GREAT turn out!!! The best yet to date, and that is all a in a HUGE :thanks: to Chris and the reporter from "The Country Market" whose name is Aimee McSparin.
When I got home and was able to finally read the entire article, it all most brought a tear to my eye, No joke!! What a story to sum up our feeling about flying. But that is no surprise, because Aimee got quotes from our words from our postings. I think I remember reading from 1 of Chris's posting that she was checking in here. Right Chris? Thats why, Mike you didnt remember talking to her but had your words.
The flow of cars through the parking LOTS (both sides of the field) were none stop all day long!! :shock: :up: Some got out and flew their own kites or had their hands on some of Mikes pocket sleds, or even tried their hands at flying the revs. Others came with cameras in hand, one of them was even a reporter from "The Hearld" - Bourbonnais edition. Locals residents please keep a look out for it. Grap extras for some of us. :wink: :wink: :-) The guy taking the pictures told me maybe around mid week. Then of course there were the ones who just stayed in their cars and watched for awhile.With all the SLK up it looked like we did have a winter festival going on. Not just a :clubfly:. What a site to behold.
Babbman's surprise for us was his 10ft spin sock, which looked great, just bumped me out just a little, cause that was my big surprise too. :roll: I guess great minds think alike. :rotfl Great work on ALL your stuff too Babbman. :up: Love the C/W's!! and your shot of looking through it at the rest of the kites up in the sky.
As Steve said, it was great to be able to put faces with the names we have met here, and have met out at the field, who have already and will be joining the forum. Invis that is a great :idea: with bringing out thecamp gear for hot drink and warmth. As far as my gloves go, I got them from Sports Authority, all they are is a pair of liners that have gold strips and a pocket to hold a hand warmer in it. :wink: I know Invis really wants to look just like Michael Jackson though. "HEE, HEE" :rotfl I will post all the pictures on a separate post on account of all the typing i just did!! :shock:
One last thing for those of you that were not able to make it, you were all surly missed. :cry: But your spirits were with us ALL and had brought the winds with them!! Thank You!! :mrblue:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Jan 28 2007, 10:07 PM

Here are the shots I took...
Attachments
Victoria being shown a trick from Tom.jpg
Victoria being shown a trick from Tom.jpg (59.59 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
following though her trick.jpg
following though her trick.jpg (58.35 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
shot of the parking lot.jpg
shot of the parking lot.jpg (69.27 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
Babbman and his creations.jpg
Babbman and his creations.jpg (50.21 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
Gus being posed for his shot.jpg
Gus being posed for his shot.jpg (56.19 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
my wind sock.jpg
my wind sock.jpg (30.46 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
Babbman's wind sock.jpg
Babbman's wind sock.jpg (44.81 KiB) Viewed 1572 times

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Jan 28 2007, 10:18 PM

Frodos Majik wrote: Babbman's surprise for us was his 10ft spin sock, which looked great, just bumped me out just a little, cause that was my big surprise too. :roll: I guess great minds think alike. :rotfl Great work on ALL your stuff too Babbman. :up: Love the C/W's!! and your shot of looking through it at the rest of the kites up in the sky.

Thanks Ken... I am humbled... I felt pretty bad on the spinsock from my end also as I would never want to intentionally upstage anyone... but I have to say one thing... your use of non-kite material is great and really opens up a HUGE range of possibilities at very affordable prices... your spinsock was excellent and I really thought your sled was exceptional in all respects... especially in it's stability.... while my sled was up and down all day... Ideas and implementation of the pockets at the leading edge was great also... and BTW, Gus was just plain awesome... the material that you used seemed perfect and I have to find some of that for myself...

we all really need to make sure that we document our builds and share the ideas, successes and failures as much as possible... I find that lots of pictures are really helpful... I have a bunch of the spinsock as I built it....

I've decided that I am going to build another spinsock in my trademark blue/white/red but going for 20' this time and am going to extend the loose ends out longer than the plans call for... I am also going to do at least one more Catherines Wheel in the same colors... if I take the progression of Gary Engvalls out, I have a 24/36/48 and the next should be a 60 cell version... I think though that I will make it a 64 cell version as I like the bridle to thin out a little more (64/32/16/8/4/2) If I go 60, then I get 60/30/15

After that, I have a thin Bol template cut out (100 pieces are required) and will SLOWLY work on it as I will go broke on bridle line for it... :shock:

Then, over the next few months, I will make a matching set of Catherine's Wheels in the yellow/green/majenta I did for the other Circoflex. On these, I will make them 8" in depth suitable for light sticks... I want something unique and cool for the Naperville night fly coming up this year..I sure hope there is a good wind for that one!.... there is also some interesting neon lighting that is getting better with a smaller battery... I'm going to investigate this further...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun, Jan 28 2007, 10:27 PM

Cool pics Ken :up: All the new stuff looked awesome :mrgreen: I just started a new project tonight... I don't know if it's going to be secret or not though :P Anyhow great turn out, and thanks for the samples Ken; I think to start though, we should stick to B/W, unless we get enough people to buck up then maybe move up to color. I would like to keep it simple... just enough to fill folks in about IKE and what we do...besides sew! :rotfl

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Jan 28 2007, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the props guys. :oops:

Chris we'll pick up discussion in right place on the rest.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Jan 29 2007, 09:08 PM

Great pics! i'm glad you didn't post a picture of my wet pants, from the front :!:

Please refer to the posting of "Newest Rev still a mystery"; there is critical information there about a potential crisis within our organization involving possible espionage and stealth :!:
Tom P.

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”