Kitebuilder Spinsock Forum Thread

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
Babbman

Kitebuilder Spinsock Forum Thread

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jan 27 2007, 05:15 AM

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Re: Kitebuilder Spinsock Forum Thread

Postby Mike » Sat, Jan 27 2007, 06:20 AM

That's an amazing amount of ripstop and a lot of thread. It is very, very cool, but also surprisingly dangerous. Search the forum for more on Doug LaRock. If I remember right, about a year ago, Doug got hoisted up by one of the big kites. He was severely injured and spent a lot of time in the hospital.
I would search the forum to find it myself, but I'm afraid to logon. I've been away from the kitebuilder forum for a few weeks and there's probably 6 million posts to catch up on.

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Jan 27 2007, 07:33 AM

Here's the story from the Kansas City Kite Club site :shock:

This is why BIG kites deserve BIG respect!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

06/02/05

Kiters,

We are just getting news that over the weekend there has been a terrible kiting accident. Long-time kiter Doug LaRock was out flying his 60 foot delta and 120 foot spinsock when an unexpected 20 mph gust took him and his kite three stories into the air. Doug is in intensive care at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, WA with multiple injuries to his ankles, legs, pelvis, back, and lungs.

His wife Linda, reports on the event:
"He was trying to launch BAD [Big Delta] so he could fly his huge spinsock and the winds were fairly steady at about 10mph - perfect for the task at hand. A sudden gust of 20+ hit just as Doug was walking the kite back to the anchor and he instantly went up "higher than a 3 story building". They tried to get the kite back down but Doug could not hang on long enough and gravity did the rest. The kite landed on its own moments later with that big 3" aluminum spreader bent into a U."

Linda reports that both of Doug's ankles are broken, he has a fractured vertebrae, fractured pelvis and a punctured lung. He also has internal injuries and the doctors are trying to figure out where all the blood is going.

From all accounts, Doug LaRock was a conservative flyer, one who took extra safety precautions. It was just an unexpected wind gust that cannot be planned for.

If you are the praying type please hit your knees and say one for Doug and for Linda as she waits for updates on his condition. If you are not the praying type please keep them in your thoughts.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sat, Jan 27 2007, 10:14 AM

I am truly sorry.
And sad.
:(
Hector
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Jan 28 2007, 02:44 PM

vlieger, you have made some very large kites.
Any exciting adventures or problems you would like to share?

Return to “General Discussion”