January Club Fly--when?

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
Knoted4ever

Re: January Club Fly--when?

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 07:44 PM

Mike wrote:I guess that's all the feedback were gonna get here.
Let's try the soccer field. Tom, can you tell us where it is? Maybe link to a google map?

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=na ... s+Illinois

Bring, besides your kites, a fine looking soccer ball, if you have one... it may justify our being there to the authorities at large! :wink:

It's at the corner of Bethel Dr. and Career Center Rd. in Bourbonnais.

It is not far from Perry Farm. Take Interstate 57 to Bourbonnais to Rt. 50; go south on Rt.50 to the first big set of lights (big intersection) and go west on Armour Rd. Keep going west past a stop sign and a small set of lights or two and get to the first big intersection (which is North Convent St. or also called Routes 45/52)... turn right (north) on N. Convent (there's a gas station on your left as you are about to turn right onto Convent, by the way); go a few blocks north (there will, to your right, be a small field and suddenly a road going to a small set of stores)... directly opposite of that (as you are going north on Convent) is Bethel Dr. (to your left); take Bethel Dr. west, going past a couple of stop signs. Then, as you continue to go west on Bethel... look for the soccer fields on your left, before you get to Career Center Rd.

If you don't like this spot, there are other fields on Rt. 45/52 that are out in the open with tons of traffic adjacent to them... which would be worth trying. i've flown at those too, once or twice.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 10:35 PM

Sounds easy enough, what time? The usual, 9ish?
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 06:47 AM

Do you mean here?

Be sure we don't go to Slater Park.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 07:53 PM

Mike wrote:Do you mean here?

Be sure we don't go to Slater Park.

Yes! Love that cool, fancy high-tech stuff! :up: i usually do not fly right by the baseball fields... i go more right adjacent to Bethel Drive. That square gray area in the middle of the green, at the north end of the soccer field area, is a large parking area, full of grey ground cinder-rock; that is where i usually park. That little speck close by the parking area is my Sea Devil... and the larger little speck is me doing the Jacob's Ladder.

There has always been porta-pots there whenever i have been flying. There was one still there in the colder weather; i hope it is still there. If not, there are fairly nearby places to go. i hope the weather will be OK! Get ready to play kite-soccer! i'm sick of it being dark after work with no flying to get in!

excerpt from Wallace Stevens (from Study of Images I):

It does no good to speak of the big, blue bush
Of day. If the study of his images
Is the study of man, this image of Saturday,

This Italian symbol, this Southern landscape, is
A waking, as in images we awake,
Within the very object that we seek,

Participants of its being.
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 09:22 PM

I posted the club fly as official.

I'm gonna be offline for about a week, so if anyone has questions, post 'em here and or at the announcement of the club fly and some other nice club member will help you.

Catch y'all later,
Mike

Sheyala

Postby Sheyala » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 09:37 PM

Hey, that's a lot closer then I thought it was! Only an hour away, plus traffic. Sounds great and the directions seem straightfoward. :) Looking foward to it!

Invis

Postby Invis » Wed, Jan 24 2007, 10:01 AM

I just got todays copy of "The Country Market" newspaper. IKE has the entire front page! Three color pictures (one is of MIMI from the kite fest) one pic is either Ken's or Chris's butt, (who had the hoodie on?) and one of a sled SLK. Great coverage! The only problem I see is that they announced the fly on the 27th at the soccer field...the privatly owned soccer field. I don't want to be a wet blanket but unlike Knotted 4 ever I have been removed from that field 5 or 6 time in the last 2 years while flying alone or with one other. One time the police were called and warned me of tresspass. The wind is great (best in the area) I guess we try and hopefully we are left alone. If not Perry Farm is 5 mins. down the road. You are also welcome here at Microtek but I know the public is less here. The newspaper office is next door to us. I will try to muster up additional copies before the fly Saturday. Great work guys, we can't buy advertizing this good!

Invis

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 24 2007, 10:54 AM

Invis wrote:I have been removed from that field 5 or 6 time in the last 2 years while flying alone or with one other. One time the police were called and warned me of tresspass.

The news article is great news...

The trespassing info is not... is there anyway we can call the police department or park district about the use of this field before we go to all the trouble of setting up, only to possibly get kicked off?

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 24 2007, 10:57 AM

also....

it sounds like we will have A LOT of stuff to put in the air.... since I an a newbie at SLK's, what do we need/what do you typically do when there is a bunch of stuff to put in the air?

I also have to put some line on winders for this but would like to know line lengths to use...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 24 2007, 11:17 AM

Here's the link for the Herald Country Market paper for when they post today's edition..

http://www.bbherald.com/News.asp

Chris (aka Babbman)

Invis

Postby Invis » Wed, Jan 24 2007, 11:39 AM

The field is owned by the school district. Part of it is under lease to the youth soccer league. It is a beautiful place to fly and with no soccer going on I wouldn't think we would be interfering with anything. With snow on the ground I don't know if any powers that be will be driving by the field to see if anyone is using it. (unless they read the front page). At this point asking permission may seem to them like putting the horse behind the cart. With the well written front page inviting everyone to the fly I would be inclined to show up and see what happens. My bet is if there is going to be trouble it will be waiting for us when we arrive. If so we should have a pre-made sign directing people to the other location. Maybe we will be fine.

Invis

Postby Invis » Wed, Jan 24 2007, 11:45 AM

The link you posted is for the entire newspaper (which has a limited subscribership) and is todays edition. The paper I get is a smaller, free version and goes out to everyone in the area. (much larger coverage) It comes in the mail every Wed.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 24 2007, 12:48 PM

Invis wrote:The link you posted is for the entire newspaper (which has a limited subscribership) and is todays edition. The paper I get is a smaller, free version and goes out to everyone in the area. (much larger coverage) It comes in the mail every Wed.

Well, poo... do they post it on the internet anywhere?

Chris (aka Babbman)

Invis

Postby Invis » Wed, Jan 24 2007, 01:29 PM

Sorry...I can't find it if they do.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Jan 24 2007, 08:30 PM

i've never been kicked out... and i've flown there for a long time. If we do get asked to leave, which would make my day, there is a big field very close by, straight down Career Center Rd. (i.e., the road the school's soccer field is on); it is just a little south on Career Center Rd. and Plum Creek Drive; it has traffic going by now and then, but constantly enough. Check the satellite map that Mike posted in this thread... and scroll down (south).

Then there are fields (also close by) on Convent (Routes 45/52) that have a lot of exposure to traffic. There's a field around Larry Power Rd. (E 4000 N Rd) around where it meets 45/52... and Sunridge Park is nearby, which is a large public field.
Tom P.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Jan 25 2007, 12:20 AM

Great exposure!!!! :up: :up: With ALL the new stuff that will be put up into the sky and the crowd that will be forming, I dont think it will matter where we end up. If we fly it, they WILL come!!! :rotfl :up: I cannot wait. Friday night is going to feel like xmas eve., NO sleep for me!! :rotfl

IS IT SATURDAY YET??

hu hu is it, is it saturday? :lol: :clubfly:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Jan 25 2007, 05:29 AM

I'm feeling the same way... I have so much new crap to put up that I am both apprehensive and excited... 8)

I finished my 'secret project' last night and tested it and it actually flew... It's really not all that exciting but I have to have something as a surprise... I must admit that I was really unhappy with the plans I worked from though... they made it very difficult to assemble and especially difficult to sew because of the hemming and seam placement... I will rethink the design and make an even bigger one next time.

Chris (aka Babbman)

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Jan 25 2007, 09:18 AM

We're not going to make it, and feeling very guilty for not getting KiteSlayer out there to fly with guys again. We won't miss many of these flies but will have to take a pass on this one.

Be sure, if the cops do show up, to point out Invis to them! :mrgreen:

Have a good time for us.

Oh and how did that article get into the paper?
TTFN,
Draftnik

Invis

Postby Invis » Thu, Jan 25 2007, 09:36 AM

Real funny Draftnik! :rotfl I'm planning on wearing a Knotted 4 Ever discuise so the local authorities will leave me alone! I have flown that field 50 time in the last 10 years and been thrown off half as many times. Unlike Knotted I must have a dangerous look about me. Of cource my quad flying IS AS DANGEROUS AS A GOAL KICK IN THE EYE. Who knows...maybe it was the commando outfit and the AK-47 strapped on my back?

Invis (except when on the soccer field)

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Jan 25 2007, 11:18 AM

Invis wrote:I'm planning on wearing a Knotted 4 Ever discuise ...Invis (except when on the soccer field)

:lol:
TTFN,

Draftnik

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”