How do you wind your lines?

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Mike

How do you wind your lines?

Postby Mike » Thu, Oct 15 2015, 01:30 PM

The forum has been quiet, so....

How do you wind your quad-lines?
I've seen folks use 2 winders, one for the left pair and one for the right pair.
Some folks wind them figure-8 style, some straight.

What do you do?

goestoeleven

Re: How do you wind your lines?

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Oct 15 2015, 08:13 PM

Um . . . however Big Mike tells me it should be done?

Figure 8 on one winder. But do you start over or under / back or front? Loops hook on top or bottom before winding (how are you holding the winder)? And do you start from the kite or the handles? Attach bottoms to tops or vice versa?

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Oct 15 2015, 08:54 PM

I used to figure 8; then when I was on iQuad they wanted them straight; but I've gone back to figure 8.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Oct 15 2015, 09:09 PM

Ah, so you listen to Big Mike.

iQuad wanted them straight, huh . . . .

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, Oct 16 2015, 09:09 AM

Single winder, from kite to handles, winder held in right hand, using left hand to wind, attach top loops to bottoms at kite end, opposite at handles (if I remove the handles), loops on top with winder bungee knot facing up and right, winding over the winder start three or four windings figure-eight then straight about half-way down the line length, figure-eight about eight to twelve times to hold things in place, straight until about six feet before the handles, figure-eight from there to the handles, unwind a bit if the bottoms of the handles don't end up close to the end of the card and adjust between figure-eight and straight until they do(if I'm leaving the handles attached), bungee the handles to the card pistol-style. In addition, I regularly switch the lines from top to bottom and left to right in relation to the kite.

TMI? Confused?

I'll be happy to demo this method to anyone interested. It's not as complicated as it sounds, and can be adapted quickly and easily to anyone's individual style. This is the method I've developed with the intent of not having the lines stretch under unequal tension while sitting on the winder for extended periods and stretch equally while flying, simply to avoid having to equalize my lines, especially on the field when I should be flying instead. Seems to work. For the last four years I have not had to equalize any lines.

Your mileage WILL vary.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Oct 17 2015, 06:34 PM

Mark, why do you straight wind in the middle of your routine?

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Oct 17 2015, 09:22 PM

Mike wrote:Mark, why do you straight wind in the middle of your routine?

Straight winding is faster for me, but the loops come loose on the winder, so I throw in a few figure-eight windings in the middle and at the end to hold things together. I also don't like the thickness of completely figure-eight winding.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sun, Oct 18 2015, 08:47 AM

I'm confused that Mike is asking this most of all. Kinda shakes my confidence a little bit. Anyways, I wind straight. I wouldn't want to do figure 8 with the extra two lines. I usually have to figure out a couple of easy twists, but that's all.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Sun, Oct 18 2015, 09:55 AM

I wonder how many new Rev flyers we lose due to line winding frustration. I know I had fits at the beginning.

I wind straight with a few figure eights thrown in. Ending in the Rev "pistol." A bit of care winding pays dividends when next unwinding.

Bill

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sun, Oct 18 2015, 10:15 AM

Neither way, eight or straight, puts any twists in your lines if the ends are anchored. Any twists that get into your lines come from how the line is handled at both the kite and the handle ends of the winding process. When you park the kite LE down you put a half-twist in the lines. How you hold and move the winder at both the kite end and the handle end while winding up and while laying out the lines may put additional twists in the lines. Allowing one loop to slip through the other in the slot on the winder will end up putting the right lines through the left or vice versa.

"There is no right way to wind the lines except mine." (Read the sentence in quotes again. Say it out loud!) Yep, your way is the right way. Whatever method YOU use which results in the least amount of twists and/or tangles is the right way. Do it the same way each time and you will know what to expect. The only time I would presume to advise someone to find and use another method is if that person spends more than a minute trying to undo the twists, and even then I would feel awkward doing so unless my help is requested.
MARK

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Oct 18 2015, 11:15 AM

TMadz wrote:I'm confused that Mike is asking this most of all. Kinda shakes my confidence a little bit. Anyways, I wind straight. I wouldn't want to do figure 8 with the extra two lines. I usually have to figure out a couple of easy twists, but that's all.

Mike is starting a thread with a topic he knows will cause some discussion on the (quiet) forum . . . . I wouldn't read anything else into it beyond that.

Winding is a very personal thing . . . . I've found that my current method seems to work the best (for me) and I have a harder time unwinding lines wound up by other people. I tend to wind up as tight as I can, figure 8. It seems like if someone else wound up the lines, they don't come off the winder as easily for me. As Mark said, whatever works for you . . . .

. . . . there is a theory that straight winding twists the lines in a way that doesn't tangle them, but does open up the fibers of each line (allowing dirt to penetrate the lines).

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Oct 18 2015, 03:53 PM

haha. Don't worry TMadz, as Steve said, just getting some discussion going.

Before I joined iQuad, I mostly wrapped the lines around my handles and didn't use a winder much of the time. This was with 75' lines.
When I did use a winder, figure 8 was faster for me than straight winding. Then when I got used to straight winding, it was faster.

Straight winding adds a twist with every wrap around your winder.
Winding around your handles also adds a twist with every wrap (and there are more wraps around handles, thus more twists)
Figure 8 winding, adds a a twist and then an un-twist as you wrap.

Either way, when you unwrap, you undo the twists, so it doesn't matter.

So the controversy over figure 8 vs straight boils down to 2 things:
1. Some feel the straight wind comes off the winder better
2. As Steve said, figure 8 twisters feel it's better for the line. Maybe it's easier on the coating, maybe it's easier on the braid.

People strongly in the Figure 8 camp are Big Mike and Jeepster.

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Sun, Oct 18 2015, 08:59 PM

Speaking of the "Rev pistol." When Baressi was in town about a year ago I scheduled a private lesson. This was at Busse Woods. He was demonstrating line winding. And it ended in the Rev pistol. Which I shoved in my kite bag. About a minute later a Cook County cop drives over the park grass in haste to our location. He asks what do we have in the bag? John and I explain that it's just kite stuff. He ain't buying it and asks again. Finally John and I realize that he thinks he saw us put a handgun in the bag. After a few nervous laughs we show it to him and all was well.

Bill
in Wyoming

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Oct 18 2015, 09:03 PM

good story, Bill.
You seem to be having a good trip out West. Enjoy the scenery.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Mon, Oct 19 2015, 07:28 AM

I think I do what Baressi suggests in one of his videos (because none of my IKE friends were around when I got my first Rev). That said, it's been a while since I looked at the video, so it possible I'm no longer conforming! One point I remember from the video that seemed important was his advice to hang on to the lines after disconnecting them from the kite (maintain control of them), so as to keep the wind from blowing them around and creating more twists, etc.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Oct 20 2015, 10:11 AM

Mike wrote:People strongly in the Figure 8 camp are Big Mike and Jeepster.

Yep ...

kitemeister

Postby kitemeister » Sun, Oct 25 2015, 08:37 PM

Straight winding. It is just easier/faster to wind/unwind. When my wife winds up the line she uses a figure 8. I am thrown off for a quick second when it is time to unwind it. No big shakes though, keeps me on my toes.
Karl

Return to “Quad Line Kites”