Belvidere, Illinois middle school seeks guest speaker

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
KiteVoice

Belvidere, Illinois middle school seeks guest speaker

Postby KiteVoice » Fri, Nov 28 2014, 07:17 PM

A former officer of the Hoosier Kitefliers Society received the email message below. I agreed to pass it along to IKE to see if any IKE members are available and willing to help:

Subject: Kite Education
Ms. Warner-

Hello! My name is Julie Tapia and I am a teacher at Washington Academy in Belvidere, Illinois. Washington Academy is a STEM school and I teach technology integrated social science to 6th, 7th, and 8th graders.

My 6th grade class is going to be studying the invention and design of kites. We would love the opportunity to have a person who is an expert in the design and flying of kites to speak with our class, in person or via Skype.

The the students at our school have a strong desire and willingness to learn, but have low economic status. Due to this, the majority of our students do not have the opportunity to be exposed, in person, to many of the wonderful experiences our world has to offer outside of our community and classroom. This is why we strive so hard, at our school, to bring new educational experiences and opportunities to our students.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email and I would greatly appreciate any resources and/or contacts you may have that would aid me in this project.

Have a wonderful day and I look forward to hearing from you!
Mrs. Julie Tapia
WA - Technology - jtapia@district100.com

--
Julie Tapia
WA - Technology and Algebra
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

yepits

Re: Belvidere, Illinois middle school seeks guest speaker

Postby yepits » Mon, Aug 17 2015, 08:29 AM

I think everyone in the forum got a bit shy at the mention of the word 'expert'... :-P
[dropshadow=blue]...Hello, I'm Yepits and I'm a kite-a-holic.[/dropshadow]

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Aug 17 2015, 09:20 AM

Well, the other problem is that a lot of us are not retired yet, so that presents a bit of a problem (skipping work to go to the school).

I gave some very short STEM related kite talks at a boy scout airfest last summer, but I would not consider myself an expert.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Mon, Aug 17 2015, 04:47 PM

This post is from last November. No mention of anything since.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Return to “Club Discussion”