I had to get it, and it's broken already...

All about Dual Line Kiting.
yepits

I had to get it, and it's broken already...

Postby yepits » Fri, Aug 07 2015, 08:11 AM

So the HQ line of kites has me, kite line and winder (lol)! I came across a Ion Jungle at the shop I've gotten my kites at, and couldn't resist the idea of an 81" delta in my hands! It flys with such ease and power too, I was awestruck at its ability to handle such a wide envelope of wind speeds...

Now the sad part...

I've acquired quite a flock of noobs who like to go fly with me, and one has an older son who is just as excited as he is about flying. With a newfound sense of generosity, I happily handed the controls over to the young aspiring pilot. And then he smashed it into the ground. The center rod had a safety strap that blows out in case of such an accident, neat. So I reset the Velcro, checked the rods and bridle, righted the kite to launch it again (probably shouldn't have in hindsight) and went off to assist other flyers getting started with other kites...

WhAP!!!

He crashed it again, laughing at how overwhelmed he was by a kite... It was then I grounded him from flying it anymore, bagged it and went on with the day.

Went to the park with a bunch of people this last weekend, and took it out to give my accomplished 10 year old pilot daughter a shot at it, again. She was the one to fly it for it's maiden voyage :) ...only to find one of the horizontal rods shattered at one end. (Sadface) I'm sending HQ an email as to the process of replacing it as quickly as possible since it's one of the favorites in my quiver. I am really hoping I can have the part before the retreat. It's an awesome sail. Oh well.
[dropshadow=blue]...Hello, I'm Yepits and I'm a kite-a-holic.[/dropshadow]

KiteVoice

Re: I had to get it, and it's broken already...

Postby KiteVoice » Fri, Aug 07 2015, 10:24 AM

With dualies especially, if you aren't breaking them you aren't practicing enough! When I started with a Flying Wings Alpha+, I quickly found some online kite shops where I could order replacement spars of the correct diameter. Usually, they came longer than needed and I use a dremel tool to cut them to the appropriate length.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Fri, Aug 07 2015, 03:47 PM

Agree with jay. It happens when you are a noob, but the curve is supposed to straighten out. Contact them for the specs and you can buy parts replacement parts yourself much cheaper.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

yepits

Postby yepits » Sat, Aug 08 2015, 07:48 AM

I would consider a third party supplier for the part, however it's a hybrid rod. It's a fiberglass reinforced one, but the fiberglass ends partway through, giving way to a hollow shaft of extruded carbon, which seems a bit more complex to me, than just ordering a similar one not from the OEM directly. There has been some serious thought put into the engineering of it, and I don't want to unbalance this awesome sail. When it did, it flew so effortlessly, and in higher winds... wow, it pulls like a truck! Ha! I want a bigger one now!! Lol, I'm addicted, so what?!? Heck, I'm working out the details of getting a five meter Beemer right now too!

yepits

Postby yepits » Wed, Aug 12 2015, 01:04 AM

OMG!! Well my new rods are on the way, 23$ shipped... not sure if that's a great deal, but they are OE spec replacements. And... I won the Beamer!! When it rains... you know the rest!

Return to “Dual Line Kites”