Quad Line Length

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
CrashDive

Quad Line Length

Postby CrashDive » Fri, May 29 2015, 11:29 AM

Hi. I am new at this and learning so sorry if I have a lot of questions here in the next couple of weeks. I have heard of people flying with different line lengths with the Rev. Down at the Wildwood Kite Fest I am understanding they had longer line lengths which gave them more forgiveness. Where I live its rolling farm land or forests. Large level nicely mowed fields are very hard to find. But I see a lot of smaller areas with a lot of potential. I am wondering about shorter lines which will allow me to fly in smaller tight areas. Is there a guide to line lengths? Where could I go to buy or have someone make them for me since at this point I am mostly clueless. Feed back and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeff

TMadz

Re: Quad Line Length

Postby TMadz » Fri, May 29 2015, 01:28 PM

Stock length is 80'. Team flying standard is 120'. 120' lines give you slower reaction time and forgiveness on moves. If you're flying by yourself 80'ers are great. Some people cut down old, broken or worn lines to 30'-40' for small area flying. Much quicker response. Indoor line lengths are anywhere from 12-20'.

If you're just starting, try to stick with 80' lines. Shorter than that will confound you and we wouldn't want to lose a kite flier.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, May 29 2015, 07:16 PM

Jeff,
My concern with the smaller areas you're talking about is that they might have crummy wind. If there are nearby trees or hills they will make the wind "bumpy". That's a difficult condition to fly in. It's worth driving a bit to find an open area with clean wind. It especially helps when you are learning.

As Todd said, I wouldn't go shorter than 75' or 80' for learning.

For line sets, you could try giving the super nice folks at http://route66kites.com a call. That's Big Mike's store--you met him at Wildwood.
Their website is in transition right now. They used to be thekitesite.net, but are changing their name. Try calling: 815 953 8303

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Fri, May 29 2015, 08:10 PM

Jeff, a couple of small things. Since you're space limited, the rule of thumb is 100 ft from obstructions for every ten feet of height (give or take a few). The wind needs space to smooth out after going around or over trees/houses/hills/etc. Revs can accommodate that some, but smoother wind is better. Also, pay attention to line stretch. Periodically check to make sure all four lines are within 1/4" in length of each other. It does make a difference. It's easy to adjust them. There are plenty of tutorials available to watch to learn these things, but you're always welcome to ask. Let us know how it's going.

TMadz

Jeff, a couple of small things. Since you're space limited, the rule of thumb is 100 ft from obstructions for every ten feet of height (give or take a few). The wind needs space to smooth out after going around or over trees/houses/hills/etc. Revs can accommodate that some, but smoother wind is better. Also, pay attention to line stretch. Periodically check to make sure all four lines are within 1/4" in length of each other. It does make a difference. It's easy to adjust them. There are plenty of tutorials available to watch to learn these things, but you're always welcome to ask. Let us know how it's going.

TMadz

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, May 29 2015, 08:45 PM

tmadz - you trying to boost your post count? Triple post!

I agree with both tmadz and mike. When you are starting 75-80 feet is about the minimum you should use, and driving to find a good place to fly is well worth it. When I started out, I used a couple fields that were medium sized, but had trees around, and now I realize the wind is terrible at those locations unless it's coming from a particular direction. It did not help my learning to be dealing with bumpy wind as a beginner. If you look around on the satellite pictures of google maps, you might find some good locations. A couple of the local favorites are a set of soccer fields (i.e. where they have 4-5 fields for youth league play) and another group of sports fields at a local middle school (which is on the edge of farm fields so has no obstructions to the south).

The last thing I can add is to find some other rev flyers in your area - your flying will improve no matter which field you fly on if you can find time to fly with others. It's worth driving quite a ways to their fields if you can get some pointers and fly with others. Plus it's just more fun.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, May 29 2015, 09:34 PM

TMadz wrote:Jeff, a couple of small things. Since you're space limited, the rule of thumb is 100 ft from obstructions for every ten feet of height (give or take a few). The wind needs space to smooth out after going around or over trees/houses/hills/etc. Revs can accommodate that some, but smoother wind is better. Also, pay attention to line stretch. Periodically check to make sure all four lines are within 1/4" in length of each other. It does make a difference. It's easy to adjust them. There are plenty of tutorials available to watch to learn these things, but you're always welcome to ask. Let us know how it's going.

Just in case you missed it. :jester:

Getting out to fly frequently will make up for flying in bad wind, but will take longer to learn because you'll constantly be fighting the wind, and won't know if it was you or the wind that caused something to go wrong -- or right. It's just gonna take longer to gain basic control, but it's not impossible. I did it and so can you. The spots I learned to fly in were mostly small neighborhood parks, with lots of trees and homes surrounding them. If you move towards the downwind end of wherever you intend to fly, you will find the wind to be a bit steadier there.

If there is a hill, fly over the front of it where the slope compresses the wind. A mild slope that faces the wind can be super sweet. Last time I checked, there were a few hills in Pennsylvania.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sat, May 30 2015, 08:08 AM

goestoeleven wrote:tmadz - you trying to boost your post count? Triple post!

I've had some extra time the last couple of days. Been too busy to fly much so I'm jonesing.

CrashDive

Postby CrashDive » Sat, May 30 2015, 08:45 PM

Thanks Guys! I will stick with my stock lines for now just because I don't want to mess anything up and not know how to fix it. Unfortunately the closest serious kite clubs are either in Washington DC or Pocono's. Both are at least two hours away. Kite flying in my area is not a big thing, people actually look at me like I am nuts when I talk of flying mine. When the winds pick up it would be nice to have somewhere close, one of those tighter areas I've seen, to pack up quick and be there to catch some wind. Guess that is all the fun of it.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, May 31 2015, 12:47 PM

I would say that a 2 hour away club would easily be worth the occasional trip.
In my opinion, a better flying field plus help from advanced fliers is worth the gas and driving time.

My closest fliers are more than 2 hours away!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Jun 01 2015, 10:28 AM

TMadz wrote:Jeff, a couple of small things. Since you're space limited, the rule of thumb is 100 ft from obstructions for every ten feet of height (give or take a few). The wind needs space to smooth out after going around or over trees/houses/hills/etc. Revs can accommodate that some, but smoother wind is better. Also, pay attention to line stretch. Periodically check to make sure all four lines are within 1/4" in length of each other. It does make a difference. It's easy to adjust them. There are plenty of tutorials available to watch to learn these things, but you're always welcome to ask. Let us know how it's going.

That's funny ... Shelton Cooper does things in sets of three also.

TMadz is correct that you should be ten times the distance away from an obstruction's height up-wind from where you're flying to allow the wind to smooth out. But, you should also be three times the distance away from an obstruction's height DOWN- WIND from where you're flying ... winds back up and become turbulent when approaching obstacles.

Cheers and good flying.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jun 01 2015, 12:28 PM

As long as we're doing rules of thumb, here's a rule that uses your thumb:
Sight along your outstretched arm with your thumb up, like painters in cartoons do.
The building or other wind obstruction should be smaller than your thumb.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Jun 01 2015, 12:50 PM

Mike wrote:As long as we're doing rules of thumb, here's a rule that uses your thumb:
Sight along your outstretched arm with your thumb up, like painters in cartoons do.
The building or other wind obstruction should be smaller than your thumb.

So, does that mean that Big Mike has to be further away than others?

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jun 01 2015, 08:04 PM

nope, because he has a longer arm.
Of course, he does have gorilla sized hands, but I think it still works well enough.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Jun 01 2015, 08:58 PM

Ah ha, the thumb length vs arm length turned on the light bulb. Had to do it ... measured thumb length and compared it to the eyeball-to-thumb dimension. Turns out it IS approximately 1 to 10. Thanks!
Of course it's not exact, but a tattooed line on my thumb will tighten up the accuracy!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 02 2015, 07:08 AM

I'll be looking for that tattoo.
You can also add some lines along the rest of your hand, and then with the addition of a plumb-bob maybe you could measure the angle to your kite. Add some trig tables to your wrist and voila! You can figure out how high your kite is flying. :)

CrashDive

Postby CrashDive » Thu, Jun 04 2015, 08:52 AM

Poor Big Mike and he's not here to defend himself! I was able to find a nice thumbs up place to fly on a local military base providing the Apache's and Blackhawks are not flying. I just had to show my old fart retired ID card to the MP's. Now I just need more wind. Can you send me some please?

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Mon, Jun 22 2015, 06:48 AM

It's Hulk hands!

RonG

Postby RonG » Tue, Jul 28 2015, 09:39 PM

Am new. Just got a Rev kite and have a 75 foot line set and a 120 foot line set. Glad I got the 75 foot line. Have not used the 120 foot line. Would recomment getting 75 - 80 foot line to learn on. Very responsive and for me when learning responsiveness is everything. Also the "walk of shame" at 120 feet can quickly destroy ones enthusiasm given the newness and aprehension about flying quad lines successfully a first time quad line kite can bring.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks

Ron in South Elgin

Return to “Quad Line Kites”