Babbman - Circoflex II

The result of our kite making adventures
Babbman

Babbman - Circoflex II

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jan 13 2007, 06:07 PM

Here's my latest Circoflex... colors don't look all that crisp in twilight but it flew...

I changed the weights a bit from my 1st Circoflex and will be changing this one back to match it... it was a bit squirrelly this way.

I couldn't hardly unfold it for it wanting to fly right out of my hand...

Only bad thing was that as I was folding it up, a spar cracked in half. I don't think these are the same as what I have in the red/white/blue one. I thought for sure that I ordered the same but these came in white and my others were black and a touch more rigid IMHO... Obviously, they are stronger also... :x

[albumimg]404[/albumimg]

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Frodos Majik

Re: Babbman - Circoflex II

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Jan 13 2007, 06:37 PM

Looks good, the colors should pop nice in the sunlight. 8)
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Jan 13 2007, 07:31 PM

:( Did it damage the ripstop at all? That sux :cry:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jan 13 2007, 07:35 PM

Chris wrote::( Did it damage the ripstop at all? That sux :cry:

Nah... no damage... the spar is so flexible that there was hardly any pressure on it...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Jan 15 2007, 02:04 PM

Very nice! :up: You guys are sure getting good!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jan 20 2007, 08:47 PM

Well Well.... I finally had some time to look at my broken spar...

[albumimg]450[/albumimg]

if you look close, besides the fact that it shot through the sail, the spar didn't break... it was the ferrel that broke in half.... the only thing I can figure is that I didn't have the spar pushed all the way in.... regardless, I have to replace the whole thing as the ferrel was superglued to the spar... I have replacements coming... sooner or later if kite builder gets their act together..

Chris (aka Babbman)

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Jan 20 2007, 10:08 PM

Try some CA debonder, it may soften the glue enough to pop it off. Just make sure to clean the debonder off before re-gluing :wink: I think brass ferrules may be in order :idea:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Jan 22 2007, 08:08 AM

Impact will sometimes break a superglue bond.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jan 22 2007, 11:08 AM

Chris wrote:Try some CA debonder, it may soften the glue enough to pop it off. Just make sure to clean the debonder off before re-gluing :wink: I think brass ferrules may be in order :idea:

The problem I will have is getting the piece that is already glued (superglue) on to one of the pieces... I'll probably try dremeling it but I have a feeling that it will just shred the end... I'll probably just order another set and as they snap, replace them..

The only real problem I see is that Steve doesn't have .125 brass ferruls which is why I didn't order them in the first place...

Anyone have a good suggestion for getting the superglued ferruls off?

Chris (aka Babbman)

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jan 22 2007, 11:52 AM

On the ferrul problem...

I talked with Steve at Kitebuilder for a little while and here's the solution we came up with..

because my ferruls are superglued on, I'm going to leave them as is and we are going to use a .157 ferrul over them to stiffen them up. This should take care of the problem I have with 2 completed circoflexes...

Brass has a snapping problem also which is why Steve started carrying stainless steel ferruls... so my next one will be using them...

I'm still going to build a really big circoflex but I think I'll consider using one continuous piece of fiberglass for that one...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 23 2007, 11:24 AM

I had luck getting super-glued ferules off by smacking the spar vertically onto the ground, ferrule end first. The shock often loosens up the bond.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Feb 02 2007, 10:48 PM

I'm happy to report that this Circoflex is now repaired... had to remove all the bridles and just put the 157 ferrules that Steve sent me over the existing ones and it's as good as new... even made a bag for this one too....

Now, for want of wind and warmth... I have NO desire to go out in temps below 20 degF... in the dark no less...

One good thing that I noticed is that it is still almost not dark when I get home now... Spring is a comin!

Chris (aka Babbman)

Return to “Completed Creations”