My new homemade power kite project- REV beast

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
kristaps

My new homemade power kite project- REV beast

Postby kristaps » Thu, Apr 09 2015, 05:21 PM

Hi!

Here is my new homemade kite video. Kite is 3,22 m long, so it have area of 2,2 square meter. Its a bit bigger like blast 2-4. A wind was moderate 5- 6 m/s, but kite pulled me like crazy :evil: , so i called him REV beast. Excellent kite, only leading edge too flaxy. So i should find some other light and stiff spars. At the moment it's bamboo and you wont believe me its nearly the same weight like carbon tube, my other power kite had 12mm carbon rods, but they cracked in straight lines, after i hit a ground- so too expensive to buy them after every crash. But maybe with roll wrapped carbon fiber tubes would be much better, those were solid carbon fiber rods, made from carbon fiber threads i think, they are for rc planes and other flying rc things. So i found some bamboo- at the shop tested them on diameters, flexibility and weight, so i took only them who was stiffest, lightest and good in diameter. So for my other power kite 2,7 m long they were perfect, but now my new kite is 3,22 m long, so same bamboo ones are too flexible. You can see it in the video. hope you like my REV beast.

Always have a nice wind on your holidays! :up:

video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8cd9AoOwlo
Last edited by kristaps on Fri, Apr 10 2015, 03:17 AM, edited 1 time in total.

makatakam

Re: My new homemade power kite project- REV beast

Postby makatakam » Thu, Apr 09 2015, 06:42 PM

Looks great and flies great. Good build.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

kristaps

Postby kristaps » Fri, Apr 10 2015, 02:54 AM

Thanks! Can somebody explain me how to do bicycle spin, moon walk and spin around kites center not around wing tip..?

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, Apr 10 2015, 01:46 PM

kristaps wrote:Thanks! Can somebody explain me how to do bicycle spin, moon walk and spin around kites center not around wing tip..?

Are you a KiteLife subscriber? If you are, you can watch or download the tutorial videos. Specifically, "Bicycle Spin" and "Travelling Bicycle" are the ones you should see. Annual subscription cost is $32.95US. This is a very active forum with many of the world's-best flyers taking part who can answer all kite-related questions, and there are free raffles every month for kites and kiting equipment. I'm not trying to sell you anything, just letting you know about it in case you are not already aware of it. You can also check the Revolution Kites website and forum, that is free, for tutorial videos that may be available.

As for explaining how those rotations are done, I can only give you a very basic explanation here because it would take an hour of typing to explain it in full. That is why I recommend the videos.

The moves that you mentioned are best learned by moving smoothly from one basic position to the next. Start with an upright hover, move to vertical hover facing left, move to inverted hover, move to vertical hover facing right, move to upright hover. That completes one rotation. If you keep the center of the kite in the same spot you have completed a bicycle spin. If you move the center of the kite left or right (or in any direction, up, down, angles, circle, square, etc.) you are doing a cartwheel if the kite spins clockwise while moving right, or a moonwalk if it spins counterclockwise.

Confusing, right? That's why it's easier to grasp by watching a video or if someone explains it while you are flying together. If you let us know which country you are in, we can possibly suggest someone for you to contact for help in learning, and it's more fun flying with others than flying alone.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

kristaps

Postby kristaps » Fri, Apr 10 2015, 02:20 PM

Thanks a lot for answer! I"m from Latvia, and i think i"m only one over here who is flying REV kites..

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 10 2015, 06:54 PM

I learned to fly while living in a small town in the middle of cornfields, far from a big city.
I didn't know any fliers either.
Until I started this club :)

RonG

Postby RonG » Wed, Jul 29 2015, 07:00 PM

Wow very nice Mike. Looks like all you need is a harness, a parachute and you'd get a free ride to 7000 feet, let one line go, pull your chute open and parachute safely back. Can't be them savings!

Return to “Quad Line Kites”