Another Empty Space in the Sky - RIP Ron Despojado

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
Jeff

Another Empty Space in the Sky - RIP Ron Despojado

Postby Jeff » Mon, Apr 06 2015, 04:50 PM

It's going around Facebook, apparently happened this weekend from natural causes.

:(
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

goestoeleven

Re: Another Empty Space in the Sky - RIP Ron Despojado

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Apr 06 2015, 08:01 PM

This just sucks. I only met him a couple times, but he was a heck of a guy, and a phenomenal kiter.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Apr 06 2015, 08:50 PM

I really enjoyed watching him fly at Kite Party with Team Too Much Fun. Nobody turned a smoother bicycle spin than Ron. He wasn't fast and flashy, just so darn precise all the time. Nice guy, great flyer.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Mon, Apr 06 2015, 10:35 PM

Even though I never met him, I have watched him fly in videos and feel as if I knew him. He was extended kite family to me. I will miss him.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Apr 07 2015, 11:40 AM

Jeff wrote:... Nobody turned a smoother bicycle spin than Ron. He wasn't fast and flashy, just so darn precise all the time. Nice guy, great flyer.

And that was with a full sail in 20+ winds. Never could understand how he could be so smooth and precise with all the "wrong" equipment. I once told him I loved to watch him fly 'cuz he was so smooth and in control all the time. He seemed kind of insulted ... almost like he felt I didn't think he could fly fast and carefree. Loved his dry sense of humor ... he will definitely be missed.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Apr 07 2015, 12:18 PM

Jeff wrote:I really enjoyed watching him fly at Kite Party with Team Too Much Fun. Nobody turned a smoother bicycle spin than Ron. He wasn't fast and flashy, just so darn precise all the time. Nice guy, great flyer.

Yeah, a level of precision that I will never achieve, no matter how long I practice. Truly impressive, and you are both right - nice guy, and a dry sense of humor where you never knew if he was kidding (so best to assume he was kidding).

I think he might have also coached Conor Doran when he was auditioning for AGT . . . . he touched a lot of people, and will be missed.

BTW, looks like Kite Party next year will be dedicated to Ron.

Return to “Club Discussion”