My First Outdoor, Short Line, Rev Fly

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
basicbill

My First Outdoor, Short Line, Rev Fly

Postby basicbill » Sun, Jan 11 2015, 04:24 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while. Attaching a set of short lines to one kite for use during the winter. Making it quick and easy to assemble, fly and then disassemble. I knew that John Barresi had used a short line Rev kite during many, if not all, of his videos when he traveled the country for five months in 2014. I had met him when he passed through our area in the Fall. So I got in touch and asked for some advice. He suggested 30 foot lines and to wrap the lines around the handles. Leave the vertical spars in the kite and simply fold the kite in thirds by pulling apart the leading edge.

So with some line help from Big Mike and Anne ( The Kite Site) I made myself a set of 30 foot lines and rigged them to my original Rev kite, my EXP. I assembled the kite and laid out the attached lines and handles along the hallway of our house. I tried the handle roll up a few times until I was confident that it would work. Then I "folded" the kite in thirds with the lines attached and rolled onto the handles. Today I took it to the local park for the maiden flight. The lines rolled out with only a couple of easy to remove twists. I soon had the kite airborne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N5GAZR16P4
http://youtu.be/8N5GAZR16P4

Shown in the video are my first few minutes. Fun. And I soon realized how small the wind window was. I hope that I can fly a bit more often now this winter.

Bill

goestoeleven

Re: My First Outdoor, Short Line, Rev Fly

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Jan 11 2015, 05:22 PM

Bill -

NICE! I love short lines for exactly the reasons you describe. I wouldn't recommend short lines as the first choice when you are brand new to rev flying because of the tiny wind window, but they are great once you have the basics down.
- Fast & easy to set up & take down
- Can fly in much smaller spaces (I've flown in my dad's back yard, and it's tiny).
- I also find it helps me get more controlled because you have some a small window to fly. You have to be able to stop, turn, etc. because the window is so tiny on short lines. It makes you quicker to react, just out of necessity.

When you get back on your 120s, you'll be grinning because the window will feel HUUUUGGGGEEEE and you'll have FOREVER to fly from one side to the other.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sun, Jan 11 2015, 05:23 PM

Cool -- Things happen faster, but it's exponentially more fun. I didn't see that EXP before. Looks good against the snow.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Jan 11 2015, 05:27 PM

makatakam wrote:Cool -- Things happen faster, but it's exponentially more fun. I didn't see that EXP before. Looks good against the snow.

All revs look good ;-)
. . . . well, OK, some of the sail patterns are "interesting"

I thought for sure we'd be seeing the new mid-vent or spiro . . . .

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Sun, Jan 11 2015, 06:06 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Bill -

NICE! I love short lines for exactly the reasons you describe. I wouldn't recommend short lines as the first choice when you are brand new to rev flying because of the tiny wind window, but they are great once you have the basics down.
- Fast & easy to set up & take down
- Can fly in much smaller spaces (I've flown in my dad's back yard, and it's tiny).
- I also find it helps me get more controlled because you have some a small window to fly. You have to be able to stop, turn, etc. because the window is so tiny on short lines. It makes you quicker to react, just out of necessity.

When you get back on your 120s, you'll be grinning because the window will feel HUUUUGGGGEEEE and you'll have FOREVER to fly from one side to the other.

Steve,

You were one of my inspirations for trying short lines after seeing you use them.

Bill

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Jan 11 2015, 06:11 PM

Thanks. Mine are about 36-37 feet sleeved. I used a couple lines from a (crappy/stretchy) 120 foot set to make them. The other two lines became a dual line 120 set, and I think I used the remainder to make a 20 foot set that has since been cut down to about 12 feet for indoor flying. The "shorter than" 40 foot set are my go-to lines for quick fun (and for messing around at festivals in between 180Go! stuff).

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Jan 11 2015, 07:48 PM

Cool (pun intended)!
And your flying improves in every video.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Jan 14 2015, 11:48 AM

Well done! I always set up a kite on 40 foot lines when I am flying with the team. Catches and throws are fun, plus it is easier to interact with the crowds on short lines.

grigorib

Postby grigorib » Mon, Feb 02 2015, 07:48 PM

My short lines are 50'. I had a great beach-along walk flying a rev in onshore wind with those. Right enough not to slalom between the palm trees and not having to wade either.

Robbie

Postby Robbie » Wed, Feb 04 2015, 03:29 PM

Sweet!!! Well done Bill. You look right at home with the short lines. I can't wait for warm weather I want to fly so bad.
Fly High and Fly Safe

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Mon, Mar 16 2015, 08:09 PM

Out again today on the short lines. (Three days flying in a row. Wheee!) Got out the thirty foot lines and my new mid-vent. Gusty winds at about 15 to 20 mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VT8ytgZL6s
https://youtu.be/9VT8ytgZL6s

Nothing fancy. I'm getting better at the tip landings. I have several Rev flying goals this year besides improving generally. One is to keep my arms down. I find them inching upward. At least I now realize when I'm doing it and try to correct. Another goal is to learn to spin the kite around its center while it remains in one place. I can kinda turn 180 degrees from vertical to vertical, but can't make it all the way around without the kite moving. Usually a lot. Practice, practice I reckon.

Thanks for watching.

Bill
Last edited by basicbill on Tue, Mar 17 2015, 02:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Mar 16 2015, 08:30 PM

Good work. Practice, practice. Looking good.

We can talk about bicycle spins the next time we get together.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Tue, Mar 17 2015, 06:31 AM

Looking better all the time. Short lines amplify every movement, good to practice on. If you can hold it steady on thirties, it'll be a piece of cake on one-twenties. Work on crawling around the window like we talked about on Sunday.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 18 2015, 09:24 AM

That looks very good for 30' lines in strong, gusty winds. I think if you tried a full vent in the same winds it would be easier.
Looking forward to flying with you all at the end of the month.

basicbill

Short Line Rev Fly in 360 Degree Video

Postby basicbill » Sat, Mar 21 2015, 08:48 PM

Time got away from me as I spent about three hours with the short lines today. First up in the early day's gusty winds was my usual standard. Then the winds dropped to about 5 mph for a while, so I switched to my "Rainbow Gradient" spiral kite which has a set of diamond rods installed. This was my first day of more than just a few minutes with this kite.

IMG_20150321_123146662_HDR_1.jpg
IMG_20150321_123146662_HDR_1.jpg (181.69 KiB) Viewed 2146 times

I also had a new gadget to try out. A 360 degree video camera. A Kodak SP360. One of the first of these type cameras. So I set it up on a low tripod and flew the kite nearby. It's strange to watch the video... and I was there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i7u0uNDO6A
https://youtu.be/6i7u0uNDO6A

Bill

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Mar 21 2015, 09:06 PM

Beautiful kite! Funky video!

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Mar 21 2015, 09:57 PM

That is strange. I watched it and I am still confused. I'm guessing it's like trying to map a sphere on a flat surface.
MARK

kitemeister

Postby kitemeister » Sun, Mar 22 2015, 05:22 PM

The camera is really cool! I hope you will be bringing it next weekend. Try having the camera be set close to you. You can then see your hand movements and the immediate effects it has on the kite. I think it would be a great training aid.

Where did you get the kite? I don't see it in their available designs. I like that it is so colorful.

Karl
Karl

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Sun, Mar 22 2015, 06:01 PM

kitemeister wrote:The camera is really cool! I hope you will be bringing it next weekend. Try having the camera be set close to you. You can then see your hand movements and the immediate effects it has on the kite. I think it would be a great training aid.

Where did you get the kite? I don't see it in their available designs. I like that it is so colorful.

Karl

Hi Karl,

Thanks. Those spiral kites came out last Autumn. A limited run I believe. Mark bought a couple, too.

Bill

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Mar 23 2015, 10:06 AM

Rev has some limited run designed kites. You gotta keep on top of their offerings. The spirals were pretty popular.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Return to “Quad Line Kites”