REV kite problem

Looking for information on fabric and framework? Discuss it here.
kristaps

REV kite problem

Postby kristaps » Wed, Nov 12 2014, 06:05 AM

Hi everybody!

I have a big problem with my homemade rev kites. My hobby is making kites, so i' ve made two rev kites. One is 2 m for fun, and other is 3m for power. Both flies great, but big problem is with the place where vertical spars connecting with leading edge :(
The vertical spars are rubbing on dacron sleeve making holes in dacron, also rubbing on leading edge spar so badly, especially on power kite. After 4 hours of flying horizontal spar walls was rubbed on half of their thickness :mad:
So i've checked plenty pictures with original rev kites, and i didn't see the solution, because they also have a simple dacron sleeve for leading edge with extra dacron on connection points with vertical spars, same as me, but mine kites have this problem with rubbing. :-|
Maybe on original kites they use different material fabrics under connecting points? How can i sort this problem out?
And do i need to use bungees on top connecting points of vertical spars, or i can use just a line?- asking, because one of my versions about that problem is: top side of vertical spars at the moment are on bungees, maybe there is too much motion and flexability, so static connection with line wil help?!

If somebody knows what to do, please tell me!

Thanks a lot, and have a nice windy days! :up:

Kristaps.

goestoeleven

Re: REV kite problem

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Nov 12 2014, 06:45 AM

Kristaps

Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest posting pictures of your build to see if anyone has any ideas. I'm not a builder, so I'm pretty sure I don't know the answer to your problem. The bungies at the top are pretty tight, and usually people make the bungies at the bottom of the verticals tight as well, so there's not much motion. The dacron used on revs is relatively tough, and I've never had a significant problem with wear at that point. That said, the SUL rev doesn't even use dacron in the leading edge, and it's not worn on my SUL.

Are you in the area? Maybe you could meet up with some IKE rev flyers and show us the kites. Then we could make suggestions.

Edit: What kind of rods are you using? I've seen rev rods wear small holes through the sail fabric (not the leading edge) through abrasion (but only after many hours of use)

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Nov 12 2014, 08:54 AM

kristaps wrote:Hi everybody!
The vertical spars are rubbing on dacron sleeve making holes in dacron, also rubbing on leading edge spar so badly, especially on power kite. After 4 hours of flying horizontal spar walls was rubbed on half of their thickness ...
So i've checked plenty pictures with original rev kites, and i didn't see the solution ...

That does seem like an excessive amount of wear for such a short amount of flying time. It would be good if you could get with a Rev flyer and let him/her look over your setup. The top bungee on a Rev is rather tight, which keeps that joint from moving very much and sawing through the Dacron.

You can't see Rev's solution in any pictures, 'cuz it's hidden out of sight between the leading edge and the reinforcing "patch" at the crossover point. If you get your hands on a Rev and peek between the patch and the backside of the sleeve, you'll see a small piece of Kevlar material. Rev places that there for a little cushioning and to prevent spar-on-spar wear.

Cheers and welcome to the forum,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Nov 12 2014, 12:19 PM

I'm guessing Kristaps is from Latvia? So it might be a bit of drive to get to a club fly.
Tom is right (of course), there's a kevlar patch to protect the sleeve and spar.

Kristaps, how did you find this forum?

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, Nov 12 2014, 08:11 PM

If you are flying on a sandy beach and scoop enough sand into the leading edge sleeve, the sand will put very much wear on everything very quickly. If the openings at each end of the leading edge sleeve are large, then you can get much sand into the sleeve very easily.

The other thing that may be causing the wear is the finish, or lack of finish, on the spars you are using. If they have a rough surface and no finish (lacquer) on them, they will act like sandpaper.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

kristaps

Postby kristaps » Thu, Nov 13 2014, 06:17 AM

goestoeleven wrote:Kristaps

Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest posting pictures of your build to see if anyone has any ideas. I'm not a builder, so I'm pretty sure I don't know the answer to your problem. The bungies at the top are pretty tight, and usually people make the bungies at the bottom of the verticals tight as well, so there's not much motion. The dacron used on revs is relatively tough, and I've never had a significant problem with wear at that point. That said, the SUL rev doesn't even use dacron in the leading edge, and it's not worn on my SUL.

Are you in the area? Maybe you could meet up with some IKE rev flyers and show us the kites. Then we could make suggestions.

Edit: What kind of rods are you using? I've seen rev rods wear small holes through the sail fabric (not the leading edge) through abrasion (but only after many hours of use)

Thanks for your answer! :up:
Yes, the top bungees i had too loose, so its problem #1! Too much motion in there, from your all answers i found all my problems, a lot of thanks!
No, I'm too far from your country, in my country i think I'm the only one who flies rev kites. Also we have no kite clubs, maybe in future i should start this kite movement also in my country!? :-D

kristaps

Postby kristaps » Thu, Nov 13 2014, 06:27 AM

Mike wrote:I'm guessing Kristaps is from Latvia? So it might be a bit of drive to get to a club fly.
Tom is right (of course), there's a kevlar patch to protect the sleeve and spar.

Kristaps, how did you find this forum?

Mike is right, I'm from Latvia! Looking solutions on Google i found this forum, so decide to ask for help from people with experience in this field. So #1 problem is top bungee too loose; #2 is kevlar thing.

Thanks for your answer, Tom and Mike! :-D

Kristaps.

kristaps

Postby kristaps » Thu, Nov 13 2014, 06:45 AM

makatakam wrote:If you are flying on a sandy beach and scoop enough sand into the leading edge sleeve, the sand will put very much wear on everything very quickly. If the openings at each end of the leading edge sleeve are large, then you can get much sand into the sleeve very easily.

The other thing that may be causing the wear is the finish, or lack of finish, on the spars you are using. If they have a rough surface and no finish (lacquer) on them, they will act like sandpaper.

Thanks for answer! :up:
I using spars with polished nice finish, but i'm flying in the beach. I found that my top connectors have bad sharp end, so they eat my LE off. So it was too loose bungees on top causing connector rise up and rub with its sharp end. (they made from alu tube, and they it self are polished, but cuted end is not too rounded, so i will make the ends nice and round). ;)

So all together there are several problems: #1 bungees too loose; #2 bad connector finish; #3 no kevlar

Can i use nylon sleeve on those connectors, to protect dacron?

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Nov 13 2014, 02:51 PM

The nylon sleeve would probably help.
If you can't find kevlar, try putting some other sort of material between the sleeve and the spar end cap. Something that would be easy to replace. When the extra patch starts to wear thorough, but before it starts to wear out your sleeve, put on another patch. Here in the US you can find denim patches for clothing that glue on or iron on. That might work? Or maybe they would just accumulate sand :)

kristaps

Postby kristaps » Thu, Nov 13 2014, 04:06 PM

Mike wrote:The nylon sleeve would probably help.
If you can't find kevlar, try putting some other sort of material between the sleeve and the spar end cap. Something that would be easy to replace. When the extra patch starts to wear thorough, but before it starts to wear out your sleeve, put on another patch. Here in the US you can find denim patches for clothing that glue on or iron on. That might work? Or maybe they would just accumulate sand :)

My idea is to sew on velcro patch, under it will be kevlar. So on top i can put whatever i want, because of velcro properties. It also can be just plain empty velcro, i can change it whatever is needed! So After dacron sleeve will be kevlar, then velcro, then velcro (plain or with some extra material), then connector.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Nov 13 2014, 04:53 PM

You know, there is another approach . . . instead of a cap bungied to the rod, you could put a t-connector onto the leading edge (leading edge spar passing through the "t"). . . . I've seen that approach used on other sport kites. Then there would be no abrasion because there would be no movement.

The problem for you in Latvia is supply of connectors. I'm guessing you might not be able to run down to the corner kite shop and get an appropriate fitting. Here we can just place an order and get the parts in a few days by mail, but I suspect shipping to your country would make it cost prohibitive.

kristaps

Postby kristaps » Thu, Nov 13 2014, 05:18 PM

Hi!
Yeah, i have been thinking about that, but it would be a bit heavy, and not to comfortable for assembly and disassembly.Also when i need to change frame to SLE it will not fit in. I could find some connectors on ebay from UK, i've done this before for my other kites. There will be solution with extra patches and kevlar. But thanks for info. You all are very helpfull over here.

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Thu, Nov 13 2014, 06:41 PM

Looks like you've got some good ideas from the folks here. I can be of no help. But I sure would like to see a few of your creations and your flying locations if you get a chance to post a few photos.

Bill

kristaps

some creations

Postby kristaps » Fri, Nov 14 2014, 07:51 AM

So those are my creations. :-)
I also made 3,5 square meter double para sled for aerial fotography, i didn't tried it yet, no picture of it at the moment.
phpuP9eKLAM.jpg
REV vented
phpuP9eKLAM.jpg (75.89 KiB) Viewed 2298 times

phpGK9u1TAM.jpg
power REV vented
phpGK9u1TAM.jpg (67.86 KiB) Viewed 2298 times

phpxcS4bMAM.jpg
dual turbo
phpxcS4bMAM.jpg (75.72 KiB) Viewed 2298 times

phpIotMRwAM.jpg
seagull
phpIotMRwAM.jpg (32.71 KiB) Viewed 2298 times

phpIz7nZjAM.jpg
winged box kite
phpIz7nZjAM.jpg (64.51 KiB) Viewed 2298 times

phpIUCznQAM.jpg
sled kite
phpIUCznQAM.jpg (56.22 KiB) Viewed 2298 times

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Nov 14 2014, 08:00 AM

Very nice looking kites!!

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Nov 14 2014, 08:03 AM

I like the seagull!

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Fri, Nov 14 2014, 08:20 AM

Nice kites! And that beach looks great, too.

Bill

Return to “Fabric, Spars and Fittings”