Swapping a Kite to the Same Lines Question

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
basicbill

Swapping a Kite to the Same Lines Question

Postby basicbill » Sun, Oct 19 2014, 08:45 PM

So I was out again today practicing my Rev flying. The wind picked up and I decided to replace my standard sail with my vented kite. It's really the first time that I've had to do that now that I think about it. I've seen others do it. But I've never paid attention to what is the most efficient or generally accepted method of swapping one kite for another onto the same lines.

Assuming the handles are staked and the Rev is leading edge down. Should one place the "new" kite behind the old? Or in front somehow between the lines? Should the top or bottom lines be detached first? Does it matter?

Or am I over thinking this? Just remove all the lines, lay the "old" kite down and attach the "new"?

Bill

goestoeleven

Re: Swapping a Kite to the Same Lines Question

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Oct 19 2014, 10:29 PM

IMHO, no wrong answer as long as neither kite takes off on you. Safety first.

Not sure which is most efficient, of if it really matters. Safest method is probably to take all four lines off (starting with the bottom lines which are on "top" if the kite is leading edge down). I've done it probably as many different ways as are possible - including all the ways you describe. If I'm in a hurry (i.e. we are swapping kites for a routine at a festival), I think I tend to put the new one in front and swap each line in turn (just because you don't have to redo the larks head knot).

I'm sure someone else here will tell us what they think is best and safest.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sun, Oct 19 2014, 11:02 PM

That's why I'm getting extra sets of handles and making spare 120' lines. Put out a couple or three kites at a time to avoid having to switch.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Oct 20 2014, 09:41 AM

I keep it simple and do it like goestoeleven. I remove the brake lines (they are on top when the kite is upside down) first so that the kite lays flat and then remove the rest of the lines. I attach the new kite upside down, attaching the brake lines last.

Return to “Quad Line Kites”