Higher Wind Rev Advice Wanted

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
basicbill

Higher Wind Rev Advice Wanted

Postby basicbill » Thu, Jul 24 2014, 08:10 PM

I had the itch for more Rev practice yesterday. During the day it was too windy for my EXP. But in the evening the winds came down to below 15 mph. Although there were the occasional gusts above that. I figured I'd chance it. So I'm doing my usual practice when a gust hits. Wham! And I'm stepping forward a couple of feet to catch it as the kite flexes. The gust dissipates, I land and wonder how close that I was to a problem. It happened one or two times again although not as violently.

The EXP is rated to 15 mph. There's probably some margin to that. But just suppose a person wanted to get ready for the Autumn winds. What would be a good choice for a higher wind Rev? I've been looking at the Rev web site and reading various online opinions. The Rev 1.5 SLE Vented is rated to 25 mph. There are others with higher wind ratings but I'm not sure that I'd want to fly in winds much above that anyway.

What say you? Thanks.

Bill

Mike

Re: Higher Wind Rev Advice Wanted

Postby Mike » Thu, Jul 24 2014, 08:43 PM

Any of the vented kites would do you well. I'd choose from the SLE Vented, the New York Minute 2 Vent or the B-series vented.
Vented kites are very good for learning on when flown at the lower end of their wind range. The venting slows things down and smooths out the gusts, that gives you a bit more time to think.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jul 24 2014, 08:53 PM

Agree with Mike. Only bit I'd add is that most people go for what's called "full vent" for the second kite. There is a "mid vent" option that has one vent instead of two. That's a good choice for a third kite . . . although there are a few IKE members who own more than three revs and don't have a mid vent . . . :roll: :oops:

PS . . I think the NYM two vent is somewhere between the mid vent and full vent on the other 1.5s, while the NYM three vent is a bit more the "full" vent SLE . . . . just to add to the confusion. Disclaimer: I don't own a NYM (even though they are quite nice) and haven't actually measured the venting area, so this is from memory.

PPS . . . my memory is faulty . . .

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Thu, Jul 24 2014, 09:35 PM

I bought an EXP first. Then I bought a full vent. That covers a wide range. If it get too high and you don't feel comfortable with the full sail, go to the full vent and you'll be fine all over again. If it drops where the full vent has a problem staying in the air, go back to the full sail. the overlap will take care of any issues and most fliers have more than one kite set up at a time to take care of that eventuality. I just got a mid-vent and I'm loving it, but a full vent will cover you fine. Listen to Mike. He is a Rev expert.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Jul 24 2014, 10:21 PM

Definitely full-vent. I have 7 or 8 Revs now, and that's not counting the home-made ones, no mid-vent yet. Have had no problems covering various wind speeds. Sometimes I'll set up a full sail and a full-vent and switch from one to the other as the wind changes.

I will finally have a mid-vent sometime this year when my suite of B-Pros and Zen arrive. Just placed the order with Big Mike yesterday.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jul 24 2014, 10:24 PM

TMadz wrote:Listen to Mike. He is a Rev expert.

Yep.

And thanks for explaining the wind coverage. I forgot to mention that they basically overlap in range.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jul 24 2014, 10:25 PM

makatakam wrote:I will finally have a mid-vent sometime this year when my suite of B-Pros and Zen arrive. Just placed the order with Big Mike yesterday.

:shock: :shock:
You hit the Powerball or did you give up smoking?

Either way, good for you!

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Fri, Jul 25 2014, 08:04 AM

Looks like a full vent is the way to go. May think about getting one down the road.

Something else. I couldn't understand what the whole "no snag" handle thing was about until it started to happen to me. A quick shake of the lines seems to un-snag them, but I can see where snagging might be bad when it happens at the wrong time. I know that folks modify their handles. That doesn't appeal to me. And there are no snag handles for sale. But did I see somewhere that there is an IKE member who makes or modifies handles?

Bill

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jul 25 2014, 08:16 AM

Mikey Devereaux (Darkspark on the forum) makes awesome handles! If you go to the forum index page, there's a tiny link for a members list. you can look him up, and send him a PM.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Fri, Jul 25 2014, 09:58 AM

Bill you can modify them in about ten minutes with wall anchors and screws. you don't need to be too handy, just cautious about metal spurs. it's easy and worth it. I bought an extra hundred feet of bridle line which is more than I'll ever need for leaders. I could give you a few feet to redo yours.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jul 25 2014, 10:41 AM

another vote for Mikey's handles--they are well made by a perfectionist and work great.
Clicking here should allow you to PM him.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jul 25 2014, 12:48 PM

Mike wrote:a perfectionist[/url]

That's an understatement! :up: :-D

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Thu, Jul 31 2014, 07:48 AM

Somehow I missed this earlier! Thanks for the nice words about my handles! Although I would say picky, not perfectionist. Otherwise I would never sell a set because they are never just right.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Thu, Jul 31 2014, 08:58 AM

Darkspark wrote:Somehow I missed this earlier! Thanks for the nice words about my handles! Although I would say picky, not perfectionist. Otherwise I would never sell a set because they are never just right.

Nothing wrong with pride in quality workmanship. The best way to go. :up:

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Sun, Aug 03 2014, 08:23 PM

Full vent for sure... I was watching "Gremlins" while reading this and didn't see anyone mention FRAMES. having different frame sets really helps. Everyone has an opinion on what they like, but I have a great collection of blemished Skyshark frames from Jon at Kites and Fun things..... I think you've heard of them :)

He can cut them or you can and they are very inexpensive and they are also SMOOTH so they may not wear on the sail as bad.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Mon, Aug 04 2014, 12:57 PM

You may want to give your sky shark spars a light coat of clear spray paint. Some have a good clear coat, some may not. If not, black carbon will get on your hands and your kite. We have many skyshark spars we have purchased over the years and have found this to be true.
I would also say that we have never had a skyshark spar fail. No splits or breaks ever.
I should also say that we usually use Rev spars and in the many hundreds of hours we have flown we have had only one Rev spar break on it's own. We broke another with a head on crash.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Sun, Aug 10 2014, 07:03 PM

This is what I ended up with. Had the urge and the cash so made the plunge. It arrived this week thanks to "backdraft." Flies great. Better than the EXP in that kite's upper wind range. Mike was right as far as I'm concerned when he wrote, "venting slows things down and smooths out the gusts, that gives you a bit more time to think."

P1360971.jpg
P1360971.jpg (192.29 KiB) Viewed 2251 times

(I think this rig needs a black bridle. Does anyone make those?)

Bill

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Aug 10 2014, 07:43 PM

Nice! I've got the same kite in purple & black.

Urge & cash are not a good combination for me . . . especially when it comes to kites. I'm getting a little itchy . . . really ought to sell some first.

One note - the vertical rods always go on the back of a rev, even if it seems like the caps naturally would have the rods on the front. You'll like how it flies even better after you make that change.

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Sun, Aug 10 2014, 07:50 PM

goestoeleven wrote:
One note - the vertical rods always go on the back of a rev, even if it seems like the caps naturally would have the rods on the front. You'll like how it flies even better after you make that change.

Well I'll be a suck egged mule. (Always wanted to use that.) It does seem backward the way the caps are. Thanks!

Bill

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Aug 10 2014, 08:02 PM

basicbill wrote:...
(I think this rig needs a black bridle. Does anyone make those?)
Bill

I can check to see if I have one in black when I'm home, which won't be for a week or so.
Feel free to PM me if I forget...

Return to “Quad Line Kites”