Power kiting newbie

All about dual and quad line power kiting.
TMadz

Power kiting newbie

Postby TMadz » Wed, Oct 31 2012, 08:12 AM

Hi Club. I bought a power kite and a mountain board earlier this year because I wanted to try it. I'm ready to get on the board after I have spent lots of time with my Prism snapshot and about 4-5 hours of static (stationary) flying on this 4m kite. I will try to post pictures/video if I can get someone to for it for me. My wife isn't cooperating. Her exact words were "you're an idiot." I disagree. I've always been athletic and I have a lot more "padding" now. ;) I don't know how this will turn out, but I do know that my health insurance is pretty good. Kidding. I take safety very seriously. A brain bucket and pads are required. Lots of plowed soy bean fields around which are pretty smooth and less chance of puncturing the kite on corn stalks. I could have lots of fun this winter. Good thing Revs can be flown while in traction so I have options if it doesn't work out.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Re: Power kiting newbie

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Oct 31 2012, 08:28 AM

Cool! I'd like to try that at some point down the road. You go from "flying the kite" to "kite flies you." Just remember to let go before you get too high . . . .

I think power kiting is a bit like owning a boat - you always want a bigger, faster one . . .

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Wed, Oct 31 2012, 08:34 AM

I have learned a lot in investigating this sport. I can't afford to take time off for an injury. It's a depower kite, so all I have to do is let go of the bar and the kite loses power and falls to the ground. I can't recommend this type of kite enough and most of the regular kite surfers/buggy riders/skiers use this type of kite. Not surprisingly the bigger the kite for the lower the wind.

A lot of viral videos you see online are a bunch of idiots that have no idea of the power of the wind and revel in their stupidity. I don't plan on being one of those, much to my wife's disagreement.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Oct 31 2012, 09:06 AM

Sounds good. My wife doesn't even need me to buy a power kite to say "you're an idiot" because all she has to do is look in the garage at the bins of kites. Actually, to be fair, she's been really, really patient (and supportive) of my addiction. But her new rule is that I have to sell five if I want to buy one . . . . :oops:

ARep

Postby ARep » Thu, Jul 10 2014, 12:20 PM

Hey everyone!

I'm new here but I wanted to explore the world of kite boarding so I went ahead and bought my own power kite and a land board because I figured land boarding would be more accessible in the state of Illinois. After watching the instructional DVD that came with my purchase I was convinced that I should seek out further guidance on how to ride this thing safely. Can I get any advice from you guys? Where is a good place to try out land boarding? One of the recommendations from the DVD I mentioned was to seek out an instructor but I doubt there are any instructors in this state, but could I be wrong?

Best,
Alex

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Thu, Jul 10 2014, 12:55 PM

I haven't looked for an instructor, but I have flown it a few times. A few changes in life slowed down the time I had to devote to this. Don't know where you're located, but I am at the far west edge of Chicagoland. I have a few large places like high school grounds and soccer parks to tool around. There are powerkite forums where you may be able to get more pointed answers to your questions. Try I can't caution you enough to test fly the kite plenty before getting on the board. You don't mention the size of the foil you got or the aspect ratio. I'm assuming it's a trainer, but to clarify people use parachutes to stop them from falling out of the sky. Same physics at work here, so you can get an idea of how powerful air can be. And just in case you haven't already, buy a brain bucket and pads.

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=30

Return to “Power Kites”