Local Fly 7/5 and/or 7/6

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
TMadz

Re: Local Fly 7/5 and/or 7/6

Postby TMadz » Mon, Jul 07 2014, 01:03 PM

Glad you got out. Wish I could have made a club fly. I ran out last night at about 8:30p to fly some. The wind was still good. I have been flying with the LED's attached, which I'm liking a lot. I was all sprayed up against bugs, but about 9:10 they were coming like vampire bats. I was so hot and smelly from working all day that they probably didn't care about a little DEET. It was all I could do to pack up and run out before losing my mind. Worth it just to fly for a while though. I do look forward to getting some time to fly during the day.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jul 07 2014, 01:23 PM

TMadz wrote:. . . . they were coming like vampire bats. . . . . Worth it just to fly for a while though . . .

This is how you know you are addicted. I've been there, done that. With wife & kids waiting in the car . . . no really, I'm not getting bitten that badly . . . .

DarkHorse72

Postby DarkHorse72 » Mon, Jul 07 2014, 04:29 PM

Thanks for all the advice and tips on flying a Rev kite, Mark. There's lots to learn and having someone knowledgeable like Mark who's willing to explain things is certainly better than watching Youtube videos and wondering how did they fly it that way.

I had about 10 seconds on that Blast 2-4 and I immediately knew I do not have the experience yet to fly it. hahaha It sounded like a helicopter ripping through the air when Mark flew it.

I hope to meet more members on other flying occasions and continue to learn and enjoy seeing the level of skill you guys have flying these kites.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jul 07 2014, 06:21 PM

DarkHorse72 wrote:Thanks for all the advice and tips on flying a Rev kite, Mark. There's lots to learn and having someone knowledgeable like Mark who's willing to explain things is certainly better than watching Youtube videos and wondering how did they fly it that way.

I had about 10 seconds on that Blast 2-4 and I immediately knew I do not have the experience yet to fly it. hahaha It sounded like a helicopter ripping through the air when Mark flew it.

I hope to meet more members on other flying occasions and continue to learn and enjoy seeing the level of skill you guys have flying these kites.

Best way to learn is to get together with others who can explain stuff to you. Glad Mark was full of advice for you! Hope to get to fly with you some time.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jul 08 2014, 03:43 PM

DarkHorse72 wrote:..

Hope to meet up with you too.
Usually when a rev flutters, more brake is called for. Which is going to mean even more pull!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jul 08 2014, 04:32 PM

Didn't think of more brake!

What about loose bungies?

Or . . . is it possible that Mark has modified the 2-4? :-) :-) :-P

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Tue, Jul 08 2014, 08:05 PM

Definitely will tighten the bungies, the sail is supposed to be flat so tightening won't really change the airfoil very much. There was just too much wind to do field adjustments on Sunday without the kite moving around too much and see if the changes did anything. I read somewhere that you de-power the sail by giving it full forward and amid massive flutter it did work. On the flat airfoil, adding brake seems to reduce the pull slightly when you go beyond the loading "sweet spot".

Adjusted the bungees on Nhut's kite and added brake to reduce the flutter, told him about speed control and practicing hovers in all positions. He picks up on it very easily.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”