Local Fly 7/5 and/or 7/6

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
basicbill

Local Fly 7/5 and/or 7/6

Postby basicbill » Fri, Jul 04 2014, 08:42 AM

Anyone interested? Mid-day winds on Saturday are forecast for around 10 mph and slightly higher on Sunday. I can travel a bit or can meet at the East Side Sports Complex here in St. Chuck. (Don't know if the fields will be soccer occupied, however. Wish there was a way to find out in advance.)

Bill

goestoeleven

Re: Local Fly 7/5 and/or 7/6

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jul 04 2014, 08:49 AM

I may be able to make it (and would really like to get back out) - but haven't discussed it with the wife (she's working today). I'm a bit overdrawn in the "kiting time" account (relative to family time) since I've been gone the last four weekends (plus an entire week) for 180Go! I'll have to see what the wife says.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Fri, Jul 04 2014, 08:53 AM

I'd like to come Bill. I'm working on a big project for my wife, but could use a few hours away. I wont know until the morning though. if you're still interested keep checking. I haven't gotten out my dualies in a while either. This might be a good opportunity.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Jul 05 2014, 07:55 AM

Can't make it today :(

. . . because I convinced the wife that we could have a nice family day at Indiana Dunes State Park :-D

. . . she knows it's so that I can fly kites :-D

. . . she doesn't know that I'm telling people here on IKE that I can't make St. Charles because I'm planning to fly Revs (and maybe an SLK or two) on the beach starting at about 11 or noonish . . . in case anybody "coincidentally" arrives at the beach :twisted:

Oops . . . :twisted:

The only downside I can see to this holiday weekend is that I expect the beach will be pretty crowded. We may have to walk a ways from the parking lot to find some space to fly.

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Sat, Jul 05 2014, 07:59 AM

goestoeleven wrote:Can't make it today :(

. . . because I convinced the wife that we could have a nice family day at Indiana Dunes State Park :-D

. . . she knows it's so that I can fly kites :-D

. . . she doesn't know that I'm telling people here on IKE that I can't make St. Charles because I'm planning to fly Revs (and maybe an SLK or two) on the beach starting at about 11 or noonish . . . in case anybody "coincidentally" arrives at the beach :twisted:

Oops . . . :twisted:

The only downside I can see to this holiday weekend is that I expect the beach will be pretty crowded. We may have to walk a ways from the parking lot to find some space to fly.

Thanks for letting me know. Have fun.

Bill

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Jul 05 2014, 09:13 AM

No problem. I might try to see if I can sneak away for a few hours tomorrow as well . . . but I might be pushing my luck. When do you plan to go to the East Side fields?

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Sat, Jul 05 2014, 09:58 AM

Almost anytime is fine for me since I live so close. Late morning or early afternoon perhaps.

Bill

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sat, Jul 05 2014, 10:06 AM

Sorry. I'm out too. I just came in from the garage and am going back out. I have a deadline to get this project finished as I have help coming tomorrow to help out. Hope we can fly together soon.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sat, Jul 05 2014, 10:09 AM

goestoeleven wrote:...she doesn't know that I'm telling people here on IKE that I can't make St. Charles because I'm planning to fly Revs (and maybe an SLK or two) on the beach starting at about 11 or noonish . . . in case anybody "coincidentally" arrives at the beach :twisted:

"Hey honey. look who I ran into! Small world, huh?" :angle:

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Sat, Jul 05 2014, 02:00 PM

Between the winds and not much available room on the soccer fields, I bagged it too. Went out to Burlington to practice KAP.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Bill

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sat, Jul 05 2014, 03:52 PM

basicbill wrote:Between the winds and not much available room on the soccer fields, I bagged it too. Went out to Burlington to practice KAP.

Bill

Heading west of 47 gets you lots of room. I have a few places to fly with no competition. Especially the high schools being out for summer.

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Sat, Jul 05 2014, 03:57 PM

TMadz wrote:
basicbill wrote:Between the winds and not much available room on the soccer fields, I bagged it too. Went out to Burlington to practice KAP.

Bill

Heading west of 47 gets you lots of room. I have a few places to fly with no competition. Especially the high schools being out for summer.

Yeah these looked like adult teams so the high school fields would probably be better. Need to scout out a few.

Bill

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Jul 05 2014, 04:00 PM

TMadz wrote:
goestoeleven wrote:...she doesn't know that I'm telling people here on IKE that I can't make St. Charles because I'm planning to fly Revs (and maybe an SLK or two) on the beach starting at about 11 or noonish . . . in case anybody "coincidentally" arrives at the beach :twisted:

"Hey honey. look who I ran into! Small world, huh?" :angle:

Yeah, except so far there has been no wind at the beach. Plus lots of people and little room to fly. In a funny twist of fate, on this huge beach, we set up right next to a guy from downstate Indiana (chris) who also flies revs. I told him to come to the retreat!

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sun, Jul 06 2014, 09:41 AM

If anyone wants to fly today post up or call me at 224-227-0638.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

DarkHorse72

Postby DarkHorse72 » Sun, Jul 06 2014, 11:10 AM

Good wind today. Let's go fly. I'm in Palatine.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sun, Jul 06 2014, 11:12 AM

Busse Woods ok for you? My phone number is in the previous post -- call me.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sun, Jul 06 2014, 11:22 AM

Busse Woods starting at 12:30 today if anyone can join in, come on down.
MARK

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Jul 06 2014, 09:03 PM

I couldn't make it. Didn't get to fly anything today (except the lawnmower).

How did it go?

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sun, Jul 06 2014, 11:04 PM

Good wind 12 - 20 mph, full vent. Me on 120's Darkhorse on 80's. Nhut (pronounced "nyut") is a very talented beginner, watch out Steve! He'll be flying better than us a year from now. Had lots of fun, lots of learning. Filled his brain with way too much info -- you know me, I talk too much. He has an SLE full vent and (I think) an EXP standard sail. We flew the venteds and he did VERY well for someone with only a couple of hours on the handles.

I also set up my new Super Blast 2-4, it's a beast even in the 8mph lulls we had. Charlie-horsed my left thigh trying to control that thing. Will confine flying it to winds 4mph and under. Much more squirrely than I thought it would be. Moves faster then a cheetah on steroids. Pulls like a locomotive. Took quite a bit to adjust it because the handle leaders were equal length and only one knot at the end of each. A little extra brake seemed to help, but makes it difficult to de-power. Flutters very much in full forward -- so much that it puts large dualies to shame.

Wish you could have been there, Steve. You would have gotten a real "kick" out of this puppy. I'll bring it to the next club/fun/fest fly so you and the rest of the people can give it a try. I think I need to check with someone who has flown these for some advice on do's and don'ts.
MARK

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Jul 06 2014, 11:20 PM

I think Big Mike has (or had) a Super Blast 2-4. I think I flew it once (relatively early into my Rev flying), and it was a workout. The biggest quad I have now is a Blast, and I don't get that one out very often.

Glad to hear you guys had a good afternoon flying.

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”