New Dual-Line Flyer With Questions

All about Dual Line Kiting.
Jeepster

Re: New Dual-Line Flyer With Questions

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Jul 02 2014, 01:51 PM

goestoeleven wrote:
Jeepster wrote:
KiteVoice wrote:... It's a matter of personal preference. ...

... which is the only, truly correct method.

... I just wind them around a set of handles . . . .

Using the approved method of winding in a figure eight pattern.

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Jul 02 2014, 03:09 PM

Nope . . . . IIRC, I created the worst bird's nest of flying line when that figure 8 around the handles came loose, so nope . . .

You and Big Mike and these "figure 8s" getting all engineering-like on me . . . . :-D :up:

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Wed, Jul 02 2014, 03:53 PM

I feel like I'm back in the sixties... do what you want to do.

Anywho... I just took a look at the two pre-made line sets that I own. Both have straps. It appears that the opposite ends of each line are identical. Except one end has a strap attached. A person could remove the straps, then wind up from either direction and not know the difference. I think.

Bill

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Jul 02 2014, 04:49 PM

basicbill wrote:I feel like I'm back in the sixties... do what you want to do.

Anywho... I just took a look at the two pre-made line sets that I own. Both have straps. It appears that the opposite ends of each line are identical. Except one end has a strap attached. A person could remove the straps, then wind up from either direction and not know the difference. I think.

Bill

Correct. Except that the guys who say to "figure 8" are actually right. It has to do with the weave of the lines, but I'll let them explain that. I just choose to ignore that advice when winding up my shorty quad sets, which are made from crap line anyway and never get flown with team/group flying.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Wed, Jul 02 2014, 05:30 PM

I never knew it had to do with the weave. I just find it easier to do figure 8 with two lines. For quads, I just keep wrapping around the winder. Anybody can do it how they want. We won't point at you. honest.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, Jul 02 2014, 09:25 PM

Because of multiple personality conflicts I wrap a combination of figure 8 and straight, alternating every 20 winds or so. I also like to reverse the lines every now and then by winding away from or towards the handles and occasionally switching the right lines with the left and the top with the bottom. This averages out the stretch to each line and ensures that my lines are always equal in length because it distributes usage (handed-ness and forward/reverse tension) equally to each line, and disperses the memory gained from the line being somewhat tensioned on the winder for extended periods of time.

Really, I do actually do this, and have not had to equalize lines since I started doing this. It is not as complicated as it sounds. You just do it each time you set up and break down. Similar to rotating the tires on a car before radial tires became standard.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Jul 02 2014, 11:26 PM

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg
Not_sure_if_serious.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

. . . can't wait until Big Mike sees makatakam's post . . .

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Jul 03 2014, 05:15 AM

I haven't had to equalize my lines either, and I wind them the same every time. Well I do switch the top and bottom lines after flying a new set a few times, fly them that way once or twice, and then switch them back. No changes after that.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Thu, Jul 03 2014, 03:45 PM

makatakam wrote:I wrap a combination of figure 8 and straight, alternating every 20 winds or so. I also like to reverse the lines every now and then by winding away from or towards the handles and occasionally switching the right lines with the left and the top with the bottom.

Sounds just a bit OCD to me! :-D
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jul 03 2014, 04:03 PM

. . . and this is why I am very convinced that winding up your lines is a very personal thing. Each person has their own "correct" way of winding lines . . . it's what works for them. Although . . . I have been convinced (perhaps) by Big Mike that there is a real (weave) reason to go figure 8 instead of straight on the winder.

Next we should start a discussion thread on which style/shape of winder is the best . . . .

Return to “Dual Line Kites”