Babbman - Rok 1

The result of our kite making adventures
Babbman

Babbman - Rok 1

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jan 01 2007, 11:03 AM

My Rok is almost complete. Just need to wait for my dacron to arrive this week and I can sew it in and hem it up and my spars.

[albumimg]307[/albumimg]

oh yeah, lookie what else I made... a Rok bag!

[albumimg]308[/albumimg][albumimg]309[/albumimg]

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Babbman

Re: Babbman - Rok 1

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 11:52 PM

I did a TON of work on my Rok tonight as all my supplies finally came in from Kitebuilder...

Put my dacron patches on, hemmed it, put all my spar pockets on.

It's late and all I have left to do it put my patches for the spars and bridle it... I don't want to screw it up now so I'll wait until tomorrow.

Here it is sparred up though,... I had to...

[albumimg]380[/albumimg]

I'm so excited... I giggled like a little kid at Christmas when I saw it standing up...lol

I also got my spars for my other Circoflex and just need to bridle it up.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 05:34 AM

Awesome, Babbman!! :up: I almost didn't see your big screen TV behind it :shock: :rotfl
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 05:47 AM

It was just handy to set it up against... the TV is a 51" Sony Rear Projection...

Any word on an overhead?

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 08:00 AM

tremendous, it's just beautiful!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 08:44 AM

Mike wrote:tremendous, it's just beautiful!

Thanks guys... I appreciate it...

Now, I just need some help with bridling and tensioning......

I know you don't have your camera Mike but can you text walk me through it?

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 12:52 PM

got my camera back.
Here's some photos of how I did the bow line.
I burned a couple holes in the pocket and ran a piece of bridle line around the spar.
(note that the horizontal spars almost never come out of their pockets, even when you store the kite)

It's attached with a larkshead on one side:
[albumimg]381[/albumimg]

Here's a view from the front of the sail:
[albumimg]383[/albumimg]

And here's the back again, on the other side. This shows the tension adjustment using a regular 'ol 4 hole button.
[albumimg]382[/albumimg]

Front and back views of the button:
[albumimg]384[/albumimg]

Here's a quick and dirty way to make the bridle. I usually don't start with my bridle this way, but this is how they wind up after the bridle gets cut during a battle anyway. This is a no-measure way that works out in the field.

going back to this photo:
[albumimg]288[/albumimg]

The bridle is made of three separate lines.

For the bit that attaches to the top horizontal spar:
Measure a generous length of line and make a loop on either end. Larks head the ends to the spar (take the spar out of it's pocket for this)
Pull down the middle of the line so that it hits the bottom horizontal spar and is centered (see the diagram above).
Tie an overhand knot there and cut off the excess line.

Do something similar for the bottom spar bridle, except this time stretch the center up to the top of the kite.

It's easy to remember this if you think about the angle the kite flies in the sky. The bottom is angled away from you, so it has to be longer.

Make the third piece of line about 2 1/2 feet long or so (I measure it by holding the line from my fingertips to the center of my chest).
Make a loop on either end. Fold in half and find the center. Mark it with a sharpie.
Larkshead this line to the top and bottom bridle knots.

Finally, make a loop of line about 8 inches long and tie to the center (the last one you attached) with a prusik knot.
This your flying line attachment.

The mark on your line will be pretty close to where it needs to be to fly the kite. Adjust up or down depending on wind conditions.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you. You've probably figured something out already.
Hope this made sense--I'm heading out of town on a spur of the moment thing with Rose tomorrow (not kite related), so I'm a bit rushed today.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 02:31 PM

Mike... thanks for the info and pics...

one last question... do you tension both horizontal spars or only the top spar?

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 03:15 PM

both.
some folks tension them differently, but still tension them both.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 08:04 PM

Nice, Babbman! That M.C. Escher symbol thing is awesome!!!:mrgreen:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 11:06 PM

Finally finished... all bridled and ready to test fly

[albumimg]387[/albumimg]

This really felt like it took a long time... the worst part(s)... hemming the seams where the panels meet and most of all, sewing the spar re-enforcements in the middle of the kite... a nightmare...

regardless... I'm done with this one... for now..

Chris (aka Babbman)

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu, Jan 11 2007, 05:36 AM

Nice work Babbman! :up: I like the look of the white thread on the sail (seriously) :up:

Started laying out my sail last night :mrgreen:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Jan 11 2007, 05:55 AM

Chris wrote:Nice work Babbman! :up: I like the look of the white thread on the sail (seriously) :up:

Started laying out my sail last night :mrgreen:

Thanks Chris.. I wasn't sure at first as I really wanted some red thread for this but couldn't find it locally.

I've been using a nylon upholstery thread for my stuff as I love the stiffness of it. But have only found it locally in black, blue, green and white.

I'm starting another thread in plans on the Rok subject as I ran into some serious problems here and there that I would like to clear up before starting the Miss Dolly Rok.

But, Once completed, it is a really cool looking kite. Mikes ideas and methods worked really well... especially the button tensioning... Just brilliant...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Jan 11 2007, 04:54 PM

Took the Rok out today at lunch... winds were stiff... 10-15 but after a bit of fiddling around with tension and straightening out my bridal, it flew really well and pulled much harder than I would have thought...

Thanks to everyone for the inspiration and for the help and comments!

[albumimg]391[/albumimg]

Now, what do I build now.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :rotfl

Chris (aka Babbman)

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Jan 11 2007, 07:06 PM

Looks Beautiful!!!! Well done Ol' Chap!!
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu, Jan 11 2007, 07:51 PM

Sweeet!! :up: Looks good Babbman :mrblue: Did anyone ask where you bought it yet? :rotfl What line did you use for the bridle?

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Jan 11 2007, 10:04 PM

On this, I used 150# dacron bridal line from kitebuilder. I got a 300 foot roll.. I also used it for flying line and I'm GLAD I did.

I'm REALLY glad I did as the pull on this thing was really rather shocking in those winds today...

To show how much pull it had, I took the plastic spindle that the line came on out with me as I don't have a spare yoyo winder... the roll was not tightly wrapped but not loose either and was full to the brim for the most part.

I put the Rok up and it flew really well but pulled like a truck... to the point where I had to hold on to the roll for dear life... I wrestled it back down and couldn't tip it to the ground, I finally had to reach out and tip it over to get it to fall...

When I looked at the roll, I was laughing my butt off... the line had pulled as tight as it could throughout the whole roll and completely deformed the plastic spindle it was on...

I asked Mike what type of line he flies his Roks on but haven't seen a response yet...

If you want to see what I did on mine, just let me know (you can also see what I did wrong...lol)

I'll also post the rest of the pics I took of different areas of the kite so you can reference them and maybe the REAL kitebuilders here can comment and help me do better next time.

I have to say that I could never have imagined that building kites could be so unbelievably satisfying... and fun

And no... no asked me yet... but if they ask, I'll tell them it cost $9000.... :rotfl

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 23 2007, 09:58 AM

I use 150# line most of the time.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jan 23 2007, 10:44 AM

Mike wrote:I use 150# line most of the time.

Mike, on for Rok battles...

line length and weight you use for flying line? Obviously, you wouldn't want to use anything expensive since the point of the battle seems to be cutting it anyway...lol

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 23 2007, 11:50 AM

Regular 150# kite line.
I just looked, I have:

Premier Polyester Braided Line on hoop spool
This is the line used by 2003 AKA Rok Battle Champ Jim Cosca!

Maybe Dave could get a bunch of this for the club.
If you're not a serious competitor, (I'm certainly not), you can just tie a knot in the cut line and go at it again.
If you're more serious, you don't want the knot, because someone else can lock in under your knot and use it to hold their line in one spot and saw your thru your line right there.

Return to “Completed Creations”