Sand Anchor question

Discussion on anything related to Single Line Kites
swannie

Sand Anchor question

Postby swannie » Mon, Jun 02 2014, 11:09 AM

Hey all,

I'm looking at the Sand Anchors on Gomberg's site and I can't find anything there (or elsewhere on the internet) with recommendations on anchoring capacity. Does anyone know (generally) about how much pull the medium vs. large sand anchors are designed for?

There's something on the product description that says 100lbs of pull, but the way it's worded in context is confusing...

Thanks!
Brian

TMadz

Re: Sand Anchor question

Postby TMadz » Mon, Jun 02 2014, 12:24 PM

I have the large size. I buried them on the beach and attached a Gomberg sled with plenty of laundry in wind up to 25mph. Didn't move a centimeter. The webbing straps are what holds the stress. I have no doubt it would anchor some of the biggest lifters. Maybe not some of the biggest flowforms, but plenty for your use. I'd be more worried about the line before anything.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

swannie

Postby swannie » Mon, Jun 02 2014, 01:21 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the info! :)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jun 02 2014, 02:48 PM

Also . . . wet sand weighs more than dry. You can wet down the sand and it will give you more "holding" capacity.

FYI, Mike K. suggested a really good (cheap) solution for smaller kites, and I've used it with good success. Get a cheap cloth grocery bag. Fill with sand. Tie the handles together. Larks head the line to the knot on the handles. Cheap and works pretty well (keep in mind, not for big kites). I think I've had a 7 foot Rok (and maybe even larger DCs and/or deltas) tied off to one of those when I ran out of other (more robust) anchors.

What size kite are you looking to anchor?

swannie

Postby swannie » Mon, Jun 02 2014, 02:58 PM

That's not a bad idea ... I'm not looking to anchor anything huge, a fairly typical mid-sized delta, a DC, etc.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jun 02 2014, 03:46 PM

Yeah . . . and I try to be safe, so I might have had a backup bag and/or a corkscrew type dog stake as a "backup" anchor. If you are flying a small delta or anything that doesn't pull too hard, you are probably OK. I'd not recommend it for a 19 foot delta or a big sled, nor if you are planning on putting up line laundry or stuff with a lot of drag.

All that said, it really appeals to my frugal side. More $$ left over for kites :-D

Here's another cheapskate idea. Take a piece of decent lumber (perhaps a 2ft long section of 1x6). Drill a small hole through the center, run a 3 foot long piece of strong rope through the board, with knots at both ends so it can't pull through the hole. Bury the board at least a couple feet down in the sand, with the board surface parallel to the ground (to give the largest surface area for resistance). That's the anchor that came with my first (used) 19 foot delta, and it has held it (in wind good enough to fly the delta) with no problems, and that's a kite that can pull like a truck when the wind is blowing. I'm pretty sure it is pressure treated lumber so it doesn't have a problem with moist sand. Again, I'd recommend a second anchor as a safety. I've used a BIG tent stake as a second (or first) anchor for that one.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jun 02 2014, 04:01 PM

Ha ha, that grocery bag idea was because I forgot my sand anchors and had some grocery bags in the trunk.
I think Steve and I disagree on this, but...
I used to use corkscrew anchors in the grass, but they sometimes managed to come loose and they are pretty scary when they become airborne and are zipping across the park. I wouldn't recommend them in sand.
I use tent stakes for small kites in grass.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Jun 02 2014, 04:53 PM

I tried Steve's (Mike's) shopping bag trick and it worked, but I wouldn't do anything too big with it. I made a pile of stakes for regular slk's with 6ft snow stakes for marking curbs. I cut them up, drilled holes in golf balls and mounted the golf ball on them with CA. Cost me 3 bucks for the stick and that orange fiberglass is strong and easy to see.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jun 02 2014, 05:01 PM

Mike wrote:Ha ha, that grocery bag idea was because I forgot my sand anchors and had some grocery bags in the trunk.
I think Steve and I disagree on this, but...
I used to use corkscrew anchors in the grass, but they sometimes managed to come loose and they are pretty scary when they become airborne and are zipping across the park. I wouldn't recommend them in sand.
I use tent stakes for small kites in grass.

Actually, we don't disagree. I use stakes, but I agree they're dangerous if they pull loose. That's why I always want a second anchor, unless it's something small (and sometimes even then).

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Wed, Jun 04 2014, 07:00 PM

I use sand anchors all the time as 80 percent of my flying is in sand. I have all three sizes, the 24x24, 36x36, and gomberg 48x48". I find the 24" work great for small SLK stuff and the 36" work good for kites up to about 12'. The 48" square is used for the monsters and I have successfully used 2-48" tethered together to hold the 34' BOL to the ground, keep in mind the main line on the BOL is 1800# line and it pulls with brute force in an 8 mile and hour wind. sand anchors are great on soft terra firma but they should be anchored and set up properly. Some thing to be concerned with, the anchor must be set in the sand with the webbing on the bottom of the anchor. Make your hole in the beach with the leading edge of the hole perfectly vertical or slightly leaning away from the kite, Your kite will not pull straight up, so allow for the angle the kite will fly. If you set the anchor with the top webs pulling slightly more than the bottom, if the anchor gets ready to fail or pull out, you will notice all four webs get taught. if you only have one size anchor, stack two if in doubt, side by side or one in front of the other. I had three holding one kite at grand haven, can never be too safe when your favorite kite is pointed out to sea. I have developed a stake system for the beach and so far has tested reliably in 15-20 mph winds. It stood up to me trying to pull it free with a jeep wrangler and all I did was dig four massive holes in the sand! do I trust them yet? no, I will need more field testing before that happens. But sand anchors will always work, but you need to carry an small shovel all the time or get a dog that likes to dig!

Dennis
Blue skies and Steady Winds

swannie

Postby swannie » Thu, Jun 05 2014, 12:01 PM

Good information, Dennis - thanks!

Return to “Single Line Kites”