Cub Scout Event - April 2015

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
nlpack94

Cub Scout Event - April 2015

Postby nlpack94 » Wed, Jun 04 2014, 12:35 PM

Greetings all!

I'm the Cubmaster of Pack 94 in New Lenox, IL. Several of our Cubs caught the kite flying bug after building some old fashioned paper bag kites this spring. We're planning out our 2014-2015 program now and there's a lot of interest in a kite flying event next April.

After a little research, we found your Facebook page and club forum. So, we're wondering if there might be some interest from your club to come out, talk to our Scouts about kite flying, demonstrate your skills and maybe help to teach a few Cub Scouts about kite flying. Our tentative date is April 26, 2015. The tentative location is Francis Field (map) here in New Lenox which is where we typically hold our model rocket launches.

I understand there's a festival in Iowa that conflicts with that date -- if that's a dealbreaker for everyone, I can discuss rescheduling with the Pack Committee. But if there's anyone in the area who would like to come out and help us next year, the families of Pack 94 would be very appreciative!

Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns or suggestions! Thank you!!
--Dave Nichols

goestoeleven

Re: Cub Scout Event - April 2015

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Jun 04 2014, 01:04 PM

Thanks for your interest. I may be able to help out. FYI, I was a cub scout den leader, and our den made kites and flew them at a local festival about four years ago, so I know exactly what you're talking about. The kids had a blast!

This summer, I'm putting together a STEM discussion on kiting for the Boy Scout Airfest in August. That's a long way of saying, yes, I could provide some educational topics as part of your event, in addition to kite flying. If you want the kids to build kites at the event, we can probably make arrangements for sled kite kits for a nominal charge per kit.

As you mentioned, the date may present a slight problem. If next year's calendar is similar to this year, then I'll probably be at a festival in Iowa that weekend. That festival will take priority for me as it's a 180Go! team event. However, the festival organizers may not pick their final dates until the end of 2014 or early 2015.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Jun 05 2014, 05:41 AM

The Iowa festival (Kites Over Hoover Park) is set for Saturday April 25, with April 26 as a rain date.

nlpack94

Postby nlpack94 » Thu, Jun 05 2014, 05:58 PM

Thanks!! We'll be out at Airfest in August, too!

I'll speak with the committee about other potential dates in Spring 2015.

nlpack94

Postby nlpack94 » Sat, Aug 09 2014, 02:22 PM

Just watched 180GO! perform at Scout AirFest! Awesome! Our Cubs have been just drooling over the kite displays and demos all day. If anyone's available to come out for a talk and demonstration on APR 18 or 19 or early May, we'd love to have you. We can schedule our event around your availability. Thanks!!!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Aug 09 2014, 08:42 PM

Thanks, it was fun (although I'm exhausted).

We had a great time flying for all the scouts. I hope the boys had fun too!

I'd suggest posting a reminder / updating this thread when it gets closer to the date. We'll have to see what the team schedule looks like when we get into late winter / early spring next year. There are some annual festivals that we go to that may conflict with some of the dates.

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Sun, Aug 10 2014, 09:46 PM

The Airfest was really great, we had awesome weather and the wind picked up! It would be really nice to do it again in the future.

Big Mike

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”