Losing my flying field

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
swannie

Re: Losing my flying field

Postby swannie » Sat, May 17 2014, 11:46 AM

goestoeleven wrote:Well, you can tie off the SLKs to the fence . . .

Lemons/Lemonade...

I wonder if with this construction they'll purchase one of the other near by farm fields (assuming they don't already own) for use as their new "Miscellaneous and Whatever" field? I'd think they'd still need a place to do ... miscellaneous stuff. Probably won't happen this year, though.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, May 19 2014, 08:33 PM

I can try one thing. The school football field and track are next to my field. They usually leave it open for people to walk on the track. I suppose I could still fly there. Whaddya think Swannie? Schools almost out. Wanna give it a try?
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, May 20 2014, 08:14 AM

One of the things I've never thought about with a tornado is where the broken glass ends up. Seems it gets imbedded in the soil ... duh. One of the neighborhood parks in the direct path of the tornado had to have all the sod, mulch, and playground equipment removed because of the abundance of glass slivers. Looks like they are going to rework the soil and reseed. Many home owners are doing the same thing.

Not sure if I've lost my field or not. The tornado filled it with lots of debris ... and maybe some glass. Since I'm about the only one who uses that field for most of the year, I doubt that it will get any special treatment.

Luckily, the carnival and many booths for the annual Washington Cherry Festival utilize "my" field. The festival takes place the last weekend in May. In preparation, it looked like the weeds had been mowed last week. Didn't get a chance to see if the smaller debris had been picked up first ... probably rendered even smaller with the mowing. Will have to visit it in June after the carnival is over to see if it's still acceptable as a flying field.

swannie

Postby swannie » Tue, May 20 2014, 11:07 PM

TMadz wrote:I can try one thing. The school football field and track are next to my field. They usually leave it open for people to walk on the track. I suppose I could still fly there. Whaddya think Swannie? Schools almost out. Wanna give it a try?

I was thinking about that. Not as ideal for SLK but should work fine for rev flying I'd think.

swannie

Postby swannie » Tue, May 20 2014, 11:10 PM

Jeepster wrote:One of the things I've never thought about with a tornado is where the broken glass ends up. Seems it gets imbedded in the soil ... duh. One of the neighborhood parks in the direct path of the tornado had to have all the sod, mulch, and playground equipment removed because of the abundance of glass slivers. Looks like they are going to rework the soil

Never thought about that, but totally makes sense. I can't imagine glass shards are good for spectra or the LE...

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, May 21 2014, 08:23 AM

Jeepster wrote:One of the things I've never thought about with a tornado is where the broken glass ends up.

I never thought about that either. Bummer. Hope the field is usable.

Return to “General Discussion”