Losing my flying field

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
TMadz

Losing my flying field

Postby TMadz » Fri, May 09 2014, 05:32 PM

Well,my secret field next to the middle school is being turned into another sport/community park. It's such a shame because it was the perfect location. :( Oh well. I can go back to my fallback, but it's a little close to the airport (like across the street at the end of a runway). I will still be able to fly there, but it won't be the glorious open 10 acres that I've been able to enjoy. Worst case, I can fly at the high school on weekends or summer, but that's a little far. It's the same as my field but 20 times bigger surrounded by farm on all sides.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Trigger

Re: Losing my flying field

Postby Trigger » Fri, May 09 2014, 08:18 PM

Sport park???? Sounds perfect to me!

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, May 10 2014, 05:55 AM

bummer, I remember when my secret field became a mini-mall.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sat, May 10 2014, 07:39 AM

Trigger wrote:Sport park???? Sounds perfect to me!

Several baseball fields and basketball court in a cloverleaf. I haven't gotten into short line flying yet. Haven't needed to. The village needs the fields as everything is getting crowded, but the fences will definitely put a crimp in my carefree flying style (or lack of style). I don't know what the youth football will do because it's been perfect for them for several years as well.

swannie

Postby swannie » Sat, May 10 2014, 07:55 AM

TMadz wrote:Well,my secret field next to the middle school is being turned into another sport/community park. It's such a shame because it was the perfect location. :( Oh well. I can go back to my fallback, but it's a little close to the airport (like across the street at the end of a runway). I will still be able to fly there, but it won't be the glorious open 10 acres that I've been able to enjoy. Worst case, I can fly at the high school on weekends or summer, but that's a little far. It's the same as my field but 20 times bigger surrounded by farm on all sides.

WHAT!?!? Guess I need to drive by there, has construction already began?

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sat, May 10 2014, 05:11 PM

Already fenced off. Ready to begin any day.

swannie

Postby swannie » Sat, May 10 2014, 05:22 PM

TMadz wrote:Already fenced off. Ready to begin any day.

Just drove by... You weren't kidding.

Well, that sucks. Maybe we need to see if Richy Rich likes kites and will sponsor a Sugar Grove kite flying field. :)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, May 11 2014, 03:30 PM

Crud . . . that was a nice field. Wide open, nothing blocking from the south. Too bad . . . . maybe time to buy a short line set. Or maybe time to help youth football convince the park district to buy another few acres from the surrounding farms for a "football" (kite) field.

swannie

Postby swannie » Mon, May 12 2014, 09:45 PM

If it's any consolation, the field I was looking forward to flying at during one of my trips to Germany is being used to host some 6 month long festival and costs €15 to get in.

Maybe it's time to buy an indoor Rev... :shock:

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, May 12 2014, 10:45 PM

Yeah, but then you need an indoor facility, and I haven't found one yet. Be happy to let you fly my indoor if you can find a place . . . Local, not in Papenburg ;-)

What about walking to the Volkspark?

swannie

Postby swannie » Wed, May 14 2014, 11:51 AM

goestoeleven wrote:Yeah, but then you need an indoor facility, and I haven't found one yet. Be happy to let you fly my indoor if you can find a place . . . Local, not in Papenburg ;-)

What about walking to the Volkspark?

Ohhhh, good find I didn't notice that ... about a 1.2 mile walk from the hotel we stay at too ... hmmmmmm

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, May 14 2014, 03:07 PM

Dude . . . satellite view! I waste plenty of time looking for potential flying fields (apparently even in Papenburg!).

swannie

Postby swannie » Wed, May 14 2014, 08:16 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Dude . . . satellite view! I waste plenty of time looking for potential flying fields (apparently even in Papenburg!).

LOL, yeah, I already researched Papenburg, but that was BEFORE I found out about the 6 month long festival! :) I was eyeing this spot here which is near the ship yard and up on a berm. The hotel we stay at is here, which appears to have an interesting (but small) field behind it that I've never noticed before. I might need to explore that next time I'm there...

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, May 14 2014, 11:57 PM

Hmm . . . . short lines. I'd wonder if the surrounding buildings would play havoc with the wind and create a swirl / vortex effect. If the wind is from the right direction, you can also fly in and out of the water in the canals . . . .

Sorry Tmadz, we got pretty far off topic. Still sorry you are losing your flying field.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Thu, May 15 2014, 06:50 AM

Yeah. I thought about holding a protest and tying myself to the construction equipment, but since there aren't many kiters around, the police would just arrest me as a vagrant.

swannie

Postby swannie » Thu, May 15 2014, 09:39 AM

LOL -yeah, sorry ... Thread Jack. :)

Anyhow, do you know what the layout of the baseball fields is going to be? Depending on how they do it, it might not be that bad... wishful thinking, I'm sure... :-/

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Thu, May 15 2014, 05:28 PM

They had a drawing of it in the middle school office when I stopped in last week. I don't know the orientation exactly, but it's 3 ball fields and a basketball court arranged like a pie.

swannie

Postby swannie » Thu, May 15 2014, 08:36 PM

TMadz wrote:They had a drawing of it in the middle school office when I stopped in last week. I don't know the orientation exactly, but it's 3 ball fields and a basketball court arranged like a pie.

So, all the home plates at the center of the field? hmmm... still might be hope that some of it is usable. Of course, even if it is, I doubt they're just building it to look at... Sigh

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Fri, May 16 2014, 05:12 PM

swannie wrote:
TMadz wrote:They had a drawing of it in the middle school office when I stopped in last week. I don't know the orientation exactly, but it's 3 ball fields and a basketball court arranged like a pie.

So, all the home plates at the center of the field? hmmm... still might be hope that some of it is usable. Of course, even if it is, I doubt they're just building it to look at... Sigh

They all have outfield fences too.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, May 16 2014, 06:08 PM

Well, you can tie off the SLKs to the fence . . .

Return to “General Discussion”