Rok plans

Links to individual plans and discussion of the plans for all kinds of kites.
Mike

Re: Rok plans

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 02 2007, 01:01 PM

That's the way I do it too. I'm also a hack sewer.
You don't have to crease all that hard. I just use the flesh of my finger, not even the nail. It doesn't have to hold perfectly flat after you crease it. When I'm sewing I kind of fold it over with one hand as if feed it thru the machine and it follows the creases. On long seams, I'll have to stop once or twice to make sure it's still folding over well, but it's not a long process this way.
Keep in mind that if the hem flattens out a scant bit larger here and there I don't worry too much about it. It doesn't affect the flying and I'm not entering a competition. If you want it more perfect, make sharper creases or use a bit of your tape.
Give it a try on some scrap.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jan 02 2007, 03:11 PM

My problem is that I am a perfectionist and if I am off by an 1/8 inch, I feel like I should do it over... I suppose that the longer I do this, the more I will see that small errors will make no difference one way or the other...

No wonder these things take me so long to do...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Draftnik

Re: Rok Plans

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Jan 02 2007, 04:49 PM

Although I have a hard time believing Mike, hack sewers have a genuine purpose imo. The first homemade kite that encouraged me to try making one, was a hack sewing job, that flew great. I should mention, that it was still a fair reach above my level of sewing. Never the less, it was the first glimmer of hope that I could be successful on a kite build.

The prefold method not only sets things up nice for impatient sewers, it also give perfectionists a good dose of detail work.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jan 02 2007, 04:59 PM

Mike wrote:Keep in mind that if the hem flattens out a scant bit larger here and there I don't worry too much about it. It doesn't affect the flying and I'm not entering a competition. If you want it more perfect, make sharper creases or use a bit of your tape.
Give it a try on some scrap.

Thanks Mike...I'll give it a shot tonight..

BTW, I no longer have any scrap... Elie has decided that she is now 'helping me' build kites... she has taken my long thin pieces of scrap and is 'flying' herself around the house... If Ms. Dolly is going to fly, Elie is determined to fly also...lol... I suppose that I only need to worry if Elie starts calling herself 'Thing 1' or 'Thing 2'...

I read too many kids books... I do not like that Sam-I-Am...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 01:07 AM

Chris, Do to a BLUNDER :shock: I did "Gus" will be just a little smaller then yours. I had miss read the instructions, and had to start over. Of course it was better then half way through when I found out. DOH!! :evil: O-Well live and learn. :-D
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 07:04 AM

ouch... I wouldn't want to have to start over again...

Is it just me or do your pieces seem to change dimensions all by them selves? Several times, I have carefully measured pieces only to have them end up being a 1/4" short here and there... very frustrating at times!

Chris (aka Babbman)

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 07:36 AM

Well, I was experimenting with sewing my hems last night as I can't do anything else until my kitebuilders supplies show up and I have a question...

Once folded, where do you all recommend that I place the stitch? Close to the edge towards the sail or the outside of the kite? One thing I noticed is that once the material is folded, the edge of the kite goes just to the right edge of the presser foot and feed dogs which leaves very little room for error as it will slip to the left and off of the feed dogs...

Also, a zigzag stitch or straight stitch? I saw that Gary uses a zigzag that is towards the sail and right up to the edge of the hem. because there is little room for error, is there any problem is a stitch or 100 misses the very edge and pierces the sail alone?

This will be one of the last things I do to the kite and after spending the last week building it, the last thing I want to do is screw it up...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 08:43 AM

The feed dogs on my machine consist of 4 toothed dod-dads. Two longer outer ones and two shorter inner ones. My machine came with two different zig-zag feet; one, for applique, has a slight indentation on the bottom to avoid the two inner dogs, the other hits all 4. If I miss the outer one it isn't a big deal. But of course, that doesn't happen. Mostly. :oops:

I do a 1/2" hem, or after it's folded, a 1/4" wide bit to sew on. I just zig-zag down the middle with a stitch that comes pretty close to both edges.
Sometimes, I just do a straight stitch (I don't know why I choose either one) and then I go on the edge towards the sail. I figure there is less of an edge to flip up that way. Not that a little bit of material like that would make any difference.

Draftnik

Re: Rok Plans

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 09:59 AM

One of my machines is a bit tempermental about the pressure on the foot. Ripstop seems to defy all fabric rules of thumb. Usually thin fabics call for heavy pressure, thicker ones need less. Sometimes medium and even light pressure will keep ripstop running smoothly under the foot of that machine. It's counter-intuitive, but seems to work for that machine. Fabric can move a quicker under less pressure, so I experiment to find a happy medium between the path the fabric wants to take and how much control I can gain on it and still sew a fairly straight line.

My other machine is an applique machine and the pressure foot works at any pressure, so YMMV.

Oh, and dull needles can give alot of grief too!
TTFN,

Draftnik

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 11:54 AM

I haven't quite figured out the presser foot pressure yet. It just seems to run fine where ever I put it. I did have a couple of stitches closer together than I wanted because I didn't keep pressure with my hands feeding the material through... this is all a problem with my work area though...

The worst thing I've experienced so far is running out of bobbin thread about 5 inches from the end of a long seam... fortunately, I was able to continue the stitch and it isn't all that noticeable...

as for needles, I pretty much throw a needle away when I am done with a kite... well, at least my 1 kite...lol

I am just happy that I have the ability to sew SLOW as it has kept me from running amok with my seams so far.... the biggest headache is folding up material well enough to get it through the arm and trying to hold everything straight... I'm sure this will get even more fun as I start making bigger kites..

Chris (aka Babbman)

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 05:27 AM

Mike... your info/photos on bridling/tensioning your Roks would come in VERY handy right now..

as for the under/over controversy, please explain why you like the horizontals against the sail vs. Gary's explanation of having the spine against the sail... not for justification, but for information... :lol:

These are my last steps to finish up...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 10 2007, 08:25 AM

Photos: I don't have access to my camera right now. Sorry.

Spar placement.

The folks who recommend placing the spine against the sail argue that it makes for better flying because you get that nice vertical line down the center of the kite. No one has proven it one way or the other as far as I know.

I choose to put the horiz. spars against the sail because I don't like the pressure of bowing the horizontal spar against the spine because I'm afraid of damage to the vertical spar. I don't know of anyone who has suffered damage to their spar from this either.

So, basically, there is a lot of talk, but no empirical evidence as far as I know.

Return to “Plans”