Babbman - Catherines Wheel I - 24 Cell

The result of our kite making adventures
Babbman

Babbman - Catherines Wheel I - 24 Cell

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jan 08 2007, 10:01 PM

Well, I finished up my 1st Catherine's Wheel last night... I started Sat morning and finished lat night at 10pm and even had time to get a quick fly in with Chris and the kids... :up:

This was an interesting project for me. It was more like putting a model together than building a kite but was interesting and challenging none the less.

The pattern was easy. Putting the pieces together in the right order and sewing in the right order, THAT was the hard part. I was lucky in that I figured out where to start sewing the outer ring properly... But, I did screw up on the seam placement on the outer ring for the color pattern I chose and ended up having to sew the risers over the seam instead of up against it. Next time, I'll get it right.

On Saturday night, I was getting tired but wanted to finish up the inner and outer ring sewing and ended up catching a problem before I sewed... it pays to check before committing. I also ended up with a red piece that I thought I cut wrong and ended up cutting that same piece 3 times to the exact same size... FRUSTRATING!... in the end, it turned out ok..

Here's the pics and explanations:

[albumimg]346[/albumimg][albumimg]348[/albumimg]
All pieces cut and the inner and outer ring laid out for checking

[albumimg]367[/albumimg]
Tabs for the bridle connections. These go on the inner ring in the square drawn on the fabric. I used seam tape as Gary suggested and I just stuck a piece on my ruler and cut it up on the centimeter mark as the tabs were 1 cm in width.

[albumimg]368[/albumimg]
Tabs seam taped in place.

[albumimg]366[/albumimg]
Risers glued in place on the inner ring

[albumimg]369[/albumimg]
This is the full inner ring with all tabs sewn in place and all risers glued in place and ready for sewing

[albumimg]370[/albumimg]
Here, the risers are sewn in place. I basically butted them up against the pattern mark and sewed them with a straight stich 1/8" from the edge (yes, I marked them first..lol) The blue tab that looks crooked really isn't.

[albumimg]371[/albumimg]
This was my problem... Here I am sewing the outer rim and when I got to one of my seams where I changed colors, I realized that I cut the pieces thinking I was putting them on the opposite way. The end result was that instead of being able to butt the piece up against the seam, I had to put it directly over the seam and sew over it... live and learn..

[albumimg]374[/albumimg][albumimg]375[/albumimg][albumimg]376[/albumimg]
Here's the final result of the problem. on the left, the inner ring came out exactly as I wanted. In the middle is the outer ring where the riser ended up the the wrong place and on the right is the outer ring mistake next to a normal sew line for the riser that's not on a seam.

[albumimg]372[/albumimg]
Here's the wheel all sewn up. THE most difficult part of the project was sewing the final riser and closing the outer rim. Lots of experimentation with placement so that I wouldn't sew the wrong pieces together or sew through something. After all the work put into it, I didn't want to screw anything up.

[albumimg]373[/albumimg]
Bridling... yuck. I did learn to do a sheet bend pretty well and Gary's way of marking the lines really makes it easy to do, if not rather tedious... This pic is the 12 main lines tied to the tabs on the inner ring. There is another set of 6 lines that ties these together and a final set of 3 that go to the swivel.

As for flying it, I took it out last night and it opened up and started turning to the left, just as I had hoped (I'm a lefty... go figure)... wind wasn't good and I am looking forward to getting it up and taking a picture this weekend... I'll post the final pic then.

Would I do this again? Yup... 48 cells next time as the 24 cell is really rather small and I almost felt cheated at the amount of work vs. the actual size in the end. But it looks cool and was different and exposed me to a bunch of skills and information that I didn't have or know before.

Doing this project gave me some confidence to tackle a bol later on...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Frodos Majik

Re: Babbman - Catherines Wheel I - 24 Cell

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 12:20 AM

Nice looking work Babbman. :up: Cant wait to see it in person!! We all are going to have such a Show-N-Tell at the :clubfly: ,at the end of the month!! :mrorange: I cannot wait!! I cannot help but to wonder what the GRANDMASTER sewer (Mike) will have? :roll: :lol: He sure has been quite. I think he likes to play possum and have us all going OOoohhhs and AAaahhhs. 8)
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 05:13 AM

Very cool Babbman! Looking good. You are right, that looks like a LOT of work to make a small CW(hint hint) :twisted:

You're right Ken, Mike has been awfully quiet?! :zzz:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 06:52 AM

Chris wrote:Very cool Babbman! Looking good. You are right, that looks like a LOT of work to make a small CW(hint hint) :twisted:

You're right Ken, Mike has been awfully quiet?! :zzz:

Now, I am FRIGHTENED

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 07:31 AM

Ha ha :-D
I haven't been sewing anything all! Rose has been hogging the machine sewing clothes.
Been doing other things besides kites. Heresy, I know! I'll be flying and sewing again when Rose heads back to school in a couple weeks.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 12:20 PM

Mike wrote:Ha ha :-D
I haven't been sewing anything all! Rose has been hogging the machine sewing clothes.
Been doing other things besides kites. Heresy, I know! I'll be flying and sewing again when Rose heads back to school in a couple weeks.

I'm sure you'll whip up something like a playsail or some other monstrosity that puts us sewing newbies in our places... :rotfl

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 01:13 PM

Nahhhh, they you guys have been going at it you'll have made as many kites as I have before the next club fly.

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 03:08 PM

Rose has been hogging the machine sewing clothes.

You mean I can use a sewing machine for something besides kites?!?! :shock: :rotfl
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 04:50 PM

yup, I just hemmed a pair of pants for the first time.
I'm now a member of the 100' pant hemming club. My pants look good from 100' away. :-D
(actually they look ok from a few feet away too)

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 06:57 PM

I finally got to put the wheel up in the light and some crappy winds...

[albumimg]378[/albumimg]

[youtube]tzmI_C5dGPE[/youtube]

And I almost forgot about my quick and dirty bridle board

[albumimg]379[/albumimg]

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 07:20 PM

Nice looking wheel, and it even turns! I like the color pattern too.
When I first looked at the bridle board photo, I though you hammered nails into your hardwood floor! :lol:

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 08:28 PM

Mike wrote:Nice looking wheel, and it even turns! I like the color pattern too.
When I first looked at the bridle board photo, I though you hammered nails into your hardwood floor! :lol:

I knew it...lol I forgot to mention that I didn't...lol

And thanks for the nice comments.... I was pretty shocked that I got it right the 1st time... and pleased that it turned...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 09:04 PM

Very cool Chris!! :up: Now you need to make a BIG one!!! :rotfl

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 09:10 PM

Chris wrote:Very cool Chris!! :up: Now you need to make a BIG one!!! :rotfl

I know.. I know... I will... I will...

I have a lot of line junk to make... I just bought a 2M Flowform from David today... I'm such a sucker.. I have a couple of lifters to litter up now...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Jan 09 2007, 11:10 PM

Yes I too know that the sewing machine is for then making kites, I told my wife(can you believe it, another Chris) NOT to take out her little thread and needle NO MORE for the simple fixes!! :twisted: That I would it, in fact I have already done some simple repairs on my own stuff. :P :roll: :P :oops:

But I digress, Nice job Babbman! :up: I also like the color combo.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Return to “Completed Creations”