Revolution frame opinions

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Trigger

Re: Revolution frame opinions

Postby Trigger » Sat, Sep 14 2013, 11:50 AM

I don't know what you guys are talking about!!! all my rods have a Pxx in them!! :)

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Fri, Jan 24 2014, 08:44 AM

I'm going to revive this for a moment. For light winds, does anyone prefer two wrap or race rods in their sail? I don't want to buy a SUL or zen, but figured I could fly all summer long with my B series and race rods.

(I will say that I tried a full sail with race rods in 15mph wind because I had just gotten it and couldn't wait to fly. It bowed like bamboo but didn't break. I was extremely nervous, but came through with flying colors. Only for 10 minutes, mind you.)
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jan 24 2014, 09:58 AM

Are you sure you don't want to buy a SUL or Zen? :-D

The path you are describing is a good one. Going for the lighter rods will help a bit with flying in lighter wind. I bought a SUL very early on in my Rev flying (thanks Big Mike), but I don't fly it much any more unless the wind is very close to zero. There's not going to be a huge difference in weight - the leading edge and bridle are lighter, as are the rods, but I'm not sure how much weight you save over a standard with race or 2-wraps. The spectra bridle is a pain also as the knots can slip (even if you glue them with crazy glue).

The biggest difference in light wind is your experience - IMHO, it takes a lighter touch and feel for the wind to keep flying in low wind, and once you have that you can fly in low wind using a standard sail or a SUL. I'm not anywhere close to the level of some of the 180Go! guys and other folks who have many more years of experience, so I have to work quite a bit more to keep flying in low wind - whether it's full sail or SUL.

swannie

Postby swannie » Fri, Jan 24 2014, 11:01 AM

Take a look at the Diamond rods as well, I think they're lighter and stronger then two-wrap. There's a couple threads in the Rev forums on them.

*Somewhere* on the Rev forums I think someone posted a table that had all the different frame weights, and of course I can't find it now. :)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jan 24 2014, 11:14 AM

FWIW, Say busted one of those diamond rods at TI. To be fair, he was flying in a denser fluid than the air :-)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Jan 24 2014, 12:59 PM

TMadz wrote:I'm going to revive this for a moment. For light winds, does anyone prefer two wrap or race rods in their sail? I don't want to buy a SUL or zen, but figured I could fly all summer long with my B series and race rods.

I don't get that concerned about it, and often just forget to think about it.

This weekend at TI, I was flying in the very light winds on Monday night. There were only a couple people left on the beach. When I decided to pack it up, I was detaching my lines and a guy came up to me from over by the side and said, "I just wanted to know what your setup is...I've been down for about two hours...too light to keep the kite up..."

And the thing was, I had no idea. I had to look at the spars to see what was there because I just put the kite together with whatever rods I already had in it, and I never checked to see what they were. I figured they were most likely 2-wraps or Race Rods, and looking at them confirmed they were the 2-wraps.

Some people have a strong preference. I don't. I don't notice much of a difference, and fly with either.

I could probably get by 90% of the time with two kites and two sets of rods. A solid sail, a vented (any of the 3 kinds), a set of 3-wraps, and either a set of 2's or Races.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jan 24 2014, 01:16 PM

So you are saying experience is more important than the sail or the rods . . . . :jester: :-D :twisted:

I've been on the beach in light winds, and there are guys (and at least one woman) flying Shook mesh or vented revs with less effort than it takes me to keep a full sail in the air. So, they're essentially flying a vented kite in 3 mph wind. It's experience, relaxation, and probably some tuning on the handles and kite. That said, until I get there, I'm going to keep putting 2 wraps or race rods in the kites for light wind. I was really happy that the kite I was flying at TI for demos had lighter rods (even if it's only for the psychological boost), because we had very little wind at that point.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Fri, Jan 24 2014, 01:26 PM

Jeff wrote:I could probably get by 90% of the time with two kites and two sets of rods. A solid said, a vented (any of the 3 kinds), a set of 3-wraps, and either a set of 2's or Races.

This is what I'm going for. I figure I'll be able to fly anytime with my B Series and the 1.5 vented. I've been lucky enough to acquire a race set along with a duplicate 3 wrap set. I know that I can fly in just about anything up to 40mph (the only reason to fly with SLE?) I'll use the EXP to experiment with when I'm undecided. Thanks guys.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jan 24 2014, 01:54 PM

Jeff wrote:I could probably get by 90% of the time with two kites and two sets of rods. A solid said, a vented (any of the 3 kinds), a set of 3-wraps, and either a set of 2's or Races.

:oops: I need less kites :oops:

I was kidding around earlier, but Jeff's right (and you have a good plan Tmadz).

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Jan 24 2014, 02:21 PM

goestoeleven wrote:I was really happy that the kite I was flying at TI for demos had lighter rods (even if it's only for the psychological boost), because we had very little wind at that point.

Well, lighter is certainly better...I just think that once you get down to 2-wraps and Race and whatever, the differences are small enough not to matter a whole lot, and there's enough variation in the weights of individual rods that you may not have any difference at all. I'd trade down from 3-wraps if I noticed the kite feeling heavy, I've just never noticed a difference between the 2's and Race. Maybe just in the flex, but I'm not all that sensitive to that anyway.

I have no idea what rods were in the kites we flew the demo with, now that I think about it.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jan 24 2014, 02:35 PM

Jeff wrote:I have no idea what rods were in the kites we flew the demo with, now that I think about it.

Yep, and you had no problems. I had Race - I noticed when I set up the kite, and I was happy for the psychological boost of flying "lighter." Laura had 2-wraps, since I put her kite together too. Don't know about any of the other team kites.

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Sat, Jan 25 2014, 12:06 AM

I suggest searching "WHUMP" in kitelife for a little hint to light wind flying :)

TMadz, are you still doing duals?

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jan 25 2014, 11:28 AM

You can fly with 3-wraps in light winds, but 2-wraps are easier! I think 2-wraps are lighter than race rods, so they're my choice for light winds.

swannie

Postby swannie » Sat, Jan 25 2014, 11:40 AM

Found the post I was looking for ... it was on Kitelife...

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/4220-re ... e-weights/

Return to “Quad Line Kites”