Kite Fabric

Looking for information on fabric and framework? Discuss it here.
Mike

Re: Kite Fabric

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 19 2008, 02:04 PM

Hiya dmack and welcome to our forum.

Can you give us a little more info?
What class were you in? Maybe one our members was in the same class.
What width was it?
Was is 3/4 oz or 1.5 oz? You can feel the difference between the two. If it feels the same thickness as your kite sail, then it was probably 3/4 oz.

http://www.kitebuilder.com/ carries pre-cut nylon, try here:
http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/inde ... d45af1bf99

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Mar 19 2008, 02:46 PM

dmack wrote:I attended MAKR 08. We used a binding made of nylon. Can I purchase that somewhere, or do I have to hot cut it from stock? :roll:

FYI, Kitebuilder.com has most everything you could possibly need in the way of kite building supplies.

I know at one time Steve was selling pre-slit nylon in different widths for binding. It's probably more expensive that way than cutting it from your own stock but it's an option.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Mar 19 2008, 10:40 PM

Welcome Aboard Dmack.

yes please do tell us which classes you took, for I was there also. I took both the fandango class as well as the skyay. Which I believed both used a binding material. Its to late tonight but will look into what the material that was used tomorrow evening and will post my findings. Hopefully it was one of those classes, if not a few other members were in other classes that weekend. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Mon, Mar 24 2008, 12:12 AM

Frodos Majik wrote:Welcome Aboard Dmack.

yes please do tell us which classes you took, for I was there also. I took both the fandango class as well as the skyay. Which I believed both used a binding material. Its to late tonight but will look into what the material that was used tomorrow evening and will post my findings. Hopefully it was one of those classes, if not a few other members were in other classes that weekend. :up:

The Skyak used .75 black narrow nylon. Steve has a selection of colors at the .75 weight. I thin kthe Fandango uses 1.5 narrow nylon. Steve has even a greater selection of colors at that weight.

Cutting your own from stock is ok, but it does get tedious. :doc:
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Fri, Dec 06 2013, 09:47 AM

I'm reviving this thread because I was looking for a source of material. Since Kitebuiler/kitestudio seems to be shuttered or at least closed until further notice, I still want to get some material to attempt a Rok after our sewing session. I am thinking of attending the U-make even in March '14 as well. (Robert Brasington is going to be teaching a class :love: Several of you know my love of his kites) I would like to find out where I can get some stuff rather than rely on Steve to acquire some from his "dealer".

Since Kiting is a small community, I was wondering if you had reliable sources. I know I can get some from Goodwinds, but I'm looking to comparison shop. Jeepster, you're the one that comes to mind most of all. Or Xay?
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Dec 06 2013, 10:33 PM

PM sent to tmadz regarding my "dealer" of scraps.
Last edited by goestoeleven on Sat, Dec 07 2013, 10:24 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Dec 07 2013, 09:08 AM

FYI, I like Goodwinds.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Dec 07 2013, 10:23 AM

Haven't bought any fabric, but I've had good luck with other stuff from them.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Dec 07 2013, 11:47 AM

Goodwinds is one of the few places left where you can buy "one" yard of 60 inch material. They charge $10.99 per yard. They are a very professional company who also sell rods and tubes ... in fact, their parent company manufactures the rods and tubes.

Sailrite is a source for 60 inch material. A little more expensive at $11.75 per yard.

Sailmakers Supply is another source for 60 inch material. Looks like Challenge ripstop. Again, a little more expensive at $11.62 per yard.

Fun With Wind is another source for 60 inch material. $10.79 per yard.

In To the Wind sells 54 inch wide fabric for $10.50 per yard.

Seattle Fabrics doesn't seem to carry 3/4 oz ripstop, but they carry a wide variety of other fabrics for making kiting accessories.

Texlon is a good source of 54 inch material. The down side is that normally they want a minimum order of 10 yards of each color of material. The up side is that the last time I ordered from them it was about $4.35 per yard for first quality and $2.50 for seconds ... think it's gone up a few cents per yard since then. I groveled a little and Martha waved the $5 per color cutting fee. They don't always have seconds in the colors you might want, but if they do it's a great deal. Buy the roll end and there's no cutting fee. It's worth a call to Martha for up to-date info ... 1-310-328-5999.

If you want polyester material, then Kites and Fun Things is the only current source for PC31 material. Expensive!!! But, it does make a great kite. Also, they sell carbon fiber wrapped tubes at good prices. Ask Jon for advice on what to use for framing your kite.

Google "Challenge Ripstop" or "ripstop sail cloth" or "nylon sailcloth" and search you'll find several sources. Northsail and Contender are two other brand names for 3/4 oz material. I've bought from Bonnie at Hang Em High, Steve at Kitebuilders, and Martha at Texlon.

Cheers,
Tom

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Dec 07 2013, 12:09 PM

If you are interested in buying Challenge or Contender material for a good price, drop me a PM and I'll share the contact info. He also has Texlon material. I haven't bought any ripstop from him, but he comes recommended by others who have purchased from him. Since it's not a business, he'd rather not have his info posted on the forum. No website, no mailer ... you have to contact him directly and see what's available.

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Dec 07 2013, 01:15 PM

Jeepster, as always, a thorough response with lots of good details.

I thought Hang em High and Kitebuilder were no longer operating? Are they back online?

In your last post . . . . not sure who you are talking about . . . . but maybe Barry?

If anyone wants to go in together on a Texlon order, I'd be willing to take a few yards of several different colors . . . . especially at the "seconds" prices listed.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Dec 07 2013, 02:54 PM

goestoeleven wrote:... I thought Hang em High and Kitebuilder were no longer operating? Are they back online? ...

No they are still off line. All I wanted to convey is where I've bought ripstop material in the past.

I've also purchased kite building stuff from Sailrite, Goodwinds, Kites and Fun Things ... good results from all three.

Cheers,
Tom

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sat, Dec 07 2013, 03:51 PM

Thanks I have bought supplies from Goodwinds and Jon T before, but not materials. Is PC31 the material that used in the B-pro Rev's and other high end kites? I can always used seconds or ends for odd projects or even applique. I as hoping to do a Rok and maybe a DC to start.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Return to “Fabric, Spars and Fittings”