IKE Fall Winter Sewing Something Session?

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
TMadz

Re: IKE Fall Sewing Something Session?

Postby TMadz » Tue, Dec 03 2013, 04:21 PM

Tom had me down already, but I'm in. I don't have material, but is there going to be a list of supplies needed, like thread and types of needles?
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Dec 03 2013, 06:55 PM

Since I'm basically lazy, I've "borrowed" and modified Mike's list from our 2009 ROK class.

What to bring:

1) Whatever you use to sew and any tips or hints you've got to share with the rest of us.

2) Sewing Machine, pedal, power cord and an extension cord for your machine!!! If you haven't used your machine much, bring the manual in case we have to troubleshoot.

3) Thread. Polyester is a good choice for kites ... nylon is also favored by some ... cotton is a very poor choice. Gutermann polyester thread is recommended by many kite makers ... JoAnn Fabrics carries it. Black is probably the number one choice; followed by white as a sometimes used color.

4) Extra needles for your machine. The Gutermann thread is about a T33 size and works well with a Schmetz Microtex 90/14 needle (or 80/12) ... again, JoAnn Fabrics carries the Schmetz needles. Any sharp needle in the 90/14 or 80/12 size will do ...

5) Fabric marker ... pencil, seamstress pencil, sabilto artist pencil ... pencil sharpener.

6) Seam ripper ... yep, the seam ripper is your friend ... have yet to build a kite without using it at least once.

7) Scissors for cutting thread ... maybe for cutting fabric also.

8 ) Masking tape and felt tip pen for marking panels ... blue masking tape is preferred for kite building, but since the tape will come off on the same day it's applied, the blue painter's tape is not necessary for this build.

In addition, you may want to bring:
Hot cutter
Roller cutter and mat
Quilting ruler
Glue Stick (steal one from your kids)
Double stick tape if you use it
Straight edge/ruler

Did I forget anything?

Big Mike ... do you still have the patio glass door for hot cutting?

Cheers,
Tom

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Dec 03 2013, 07:05 PM

Current attendee list and material source:

TMadz ... Needs material
goestoeleven ... ???
Mike ... Bringing own material
Stephenson(s) ... ???

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Dec 03 2013, 07:20 PM

Jeepster wrote:Current attendee list and material source:

TMadz ... Needs material
goestoeleven ... ???
Mike ... Bringing own material
Stephenson(s) ... ???

Cheers,
Tom

I will bring my own material. The only question is whether or not I need to make a stop at the sailmaker to see if they have end rolls for other people. Tmadz?

BTW, I think Say (zero1199) was planning to attend as well. He is keen to learn about making foils from you. I think he probably has his own materials, but we'll have to wait to hear from him. I think his daughter was sick, so maybe he is preoccupied.
Last edited by goestoeleven on Tue, Dec 03 2013, 07:22 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Dec 03 2013, 07:21 PM

Shari and I are planning on coming. Unsure if we will make 1 or 2 kites though. We will need material for 1 at least. I have all the other necessary equipment.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Dec 03 2013, 07:30 PM

Also . . . if you want me to look into material for you, let me know how many yards, weight, and which colors you prefer . . . . I can't guarantee the sail maker will have the first choice of colors/weight as what they had are "end rolls" but I can check into it once everyone posts their preference.

How much lead time do we need if we end up ordering materials? I'm guessing we should allow a couple weeks if we have to order it (instead of getting it from the sail maker).

. . . so if you want me to look into fabric for you, please let me know before Christmas (the sooner the better).

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Wed, Dec 04 2013, 06:46 AM

I will definitely need fabric and I can help out to get it if you need. I prefer red and black, of course, but I will take lots of colors. silver, white are second choices. Then blue, green, yellow, purple. I want to buy some extra fabric as well because I think I'm gonna make a Roc after this.
Last edited by TMadz on Wed, Dec 04 2013, 05:06 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Wed, Dec 04 2013, 11:01 AM

It will be only 1 of us though doing the sewing. a family project. I will check and let you know

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Wed, Dec 04 2013, 11:06 AM

I do have the glass to cut on. So two colors are needed and approximately how many yards of each? I tried to find in previous post, but not exactly sure.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Dec 04 2013, 12:00 PM

I think it's just two yards, if you settle for two colors.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Dec 04 2013, 08:24 PM

I am interested in getting some extra material for a future project also. Who is this sail maker you speak of. And do I need to know any secret words or passcodes to barter with the mysterious person?

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Dec 04 2013, 11:05 PM

It's not a person. There's no secret password - I just called them and then drove down there one day when I had to go to Midway airport. I don't think they are interested in cutting and shipping small amounts of fabric, but they were fine with me dropping in to take a look at what they had on hand as leftovers / end rolls.

So . . . I didn't tell them that I was going to give out their information . . . so that's why I'm reluctant to put it out here on the forum. I don't want to ruin our potential local "odds & ends" fabric source by having them inundated with requests, now that the "regular" fabric sources for kite builders have disappeared. I know our forum doesn't have a huge user base, but a search for "kite builder fabric source" on the interwebs could cause us some complications.

PM or call me if you want to go there, and I'll be happy to give you the information individually.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jan 06 2014, 01:19 PM

Bumping this thread . . . I did not see that we picked an exact day for the weekend. I now have a conflict on January 25th, so I'm hoping we can settle on the 26th since that seemed to work for everyone.

Unfortunately for kite building (but fortunately for my son David), David's First Lego League team was selected in their regional qualifying tournament to proceed to the Illinois state competition, and we have a lot of work to do to get ready for that event. We thought the season was over for us after the qualifier in December, but the team now has practice on the 25th (and I need to be there). If the 26th doesn't work, I can see if the coach can move the practice.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jan 06 2014, 11:07 PM

Another follow up . . . questions for Jeepster:

1) Do we need edge binding material, or are the edges just hemmed? From the picture, I think they are just hemmed, and reinforcements appear to use the same fabric.
2) What strength line do you need for the kite? I'm guessing the "micro" doesn't pull too hard. I can bring a roll of braided dacron line if people want to run some line off my spool for their new kite.

Question for the group:
Does everyone have two yards of material and the other supplies for the class? I haven't gone to the sailmaker yet. Let me know if not and I can see if the sailmaker has some end rolls. Attendee / material list:

mike - bringing own material
goestoeleven - attending if 26th, bringing own material, spool of dacron line if anyone wants some, and beer (if I remember, driving to get it if I forget)
tmadz - needs 2 yards + more
darkspark - needs 2 yards + ??
shari - coming to event, but not sure if making kite (I suspect if not, she will be taking pictures of my sewing mistakes to post on FB)
big mike - coming, don't know if materials are needed or not
zero1199 - coming, don't know if materials are needed or not. I think he may be raffling a kite bag!
swannie - possibly coming to watch (and bring pizza). Not sure if he's planning to attend or not since I think the last post was before the date was set.

Sorry if I'm missing anyone - just let me know.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Jan 07 2014, 08:11 AM

goestoeleven wrote:Another follow up . . . questions for Jeepster:

1) Do we need edge binding material, or are the edges just hemmed? From the picture, I think they are just hemmed, and reinforcements appear to use the same fabric.
2) What strength line do you need for the kite? I'm guessing the "micro" doesn't pull too hard. I can bring a roll of braided dacron line if people want to run some line off my spool for their new kite.

1) We'll be hemming the edges. I'll bring the reinforcing material (insignia cloth) and the binding material for bridle loops and tail loops. If black isn't an acceptable color, then the scraps can easily be used for reinforcing and for loops.

2) I've used from 30 to 80 lb line for the bridles ... usually, what ever is handy. The 80 lb line doesn't tangle as quickly as the 30 lb, so tends to be my favorite. As to flying line, again 30 to 80 (100) seems about right. My grand daughter has given several of mine the torture test and hasn't broken a line yet.

Cheers,
Tom

Shari

Postby Shari » Tue, Jan 07 2014, 11:15 AM

Are we buying fabric or am I paying someone that is bringing fabric?? I am still unsure if I need to make my own kite or not. I may just help and take pictures of Steve sewing his sleeve to his kite.
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jan 07 2014, 12:51 PM

I called the place and I will see if I can get some fabric from them. They said they would set some end rolls aside if I want to take a look (I think white fabric). I'm not sure what they have, so I'll have to get down there to check it out. I'll try to get there sometime this week and report back.

Shari

Postby Shari » Tue, Jan 07 2014, 02:58 PM

:vader: Thanks Steve.
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

swannie

Postby swannie » Wed, Jan 08 2014, 03:57 PM

Has a date been set at this point? I'm still sort of on-the-fence... I've got a quick trip to Germany from the 19th-22nd and then we're leaving for WDW on the 27th, so it may not be in the cards for me... if it DOES work out, it would be cool if someone had some extra material I could buy off them, but I don't want to commit to anyone. :)

What town is this in again?

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Jan 08 2014, 05:43 PM

Cabery, IL

I believe the date(s) are the 25th or 26th

Return to “Sewing”