IKE Fall Winter Sewing Something Session?

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Shari

Re: IKE Fall Sewing Something Session?

Postby Shari » Tue, Nov 05 2013, 10:33 AM

Mike wrote:
Darkspark wrote:So Mini Mock it is? And it is on the 25th AND OR 26th. Bring a tent and sleeping bag!
Although at this point will we have enough time to get materials? What is needed?

To be clear, we are talking about January 25 or 26...

I am full aware that this if for January as it was one of the dates that I picked, after Christmas.

Thanks for looking out for him, it can be a tough job at times.

:thanks:
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Nov 14 2013, 04:43 PM

Talked to Don Mock today and he gave us permission to build the Micro-Mock in our winter class.

The material is a little hard to define ... too many opportunities for different colors in different areas on the kite. But here is a suggestion:

1) The bottom panel is made up of four pieces 8" by 27" ... or, if it's one color, a single piece 32" by 27" is perfect.

2) The top panel is made up of four pieces 8" by 33" ... or, if it's one color, a single piece 32" by 33" is perfect.

3) If you make the top and bottom panels out of the same color, then you'll need a piece 32" by 60" ... just short of one yard of 60" wide material. The scrap could be used for ribbon or fuzzy tails.

4) Make the ribs and keels all made the same color, then a single piece of material 39" by 28" is appropriate. A second yard of material, in either the same or a different color, would yield the ribs, some scrap for ribbon or fuzzy tails ... and probably enough for a small kite bag.Here's the layout:

MicroMockLayOut.jpg
MicroMockLayOut.jpg (181.53 KiB) Viewed 2447 times

Does this sound do-able? Steve, what kind, color, and amount of material do you have? Does anyone else have spare material? Can everyone come up with their own material?

If we settled on black and red for all the kites, then an order of new material could work out. I'm running low on those two colors and could order enough to restock my supply and include extra for what ever is needed for the class.

Give me some feedback please.

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Nov 14 2013, 05:42 PM

Tom

Looks good! My source is a sailmaker in Chicago, so the material choices vary based on what they have as end rolls. They have all the pink you could ever want -at least they did a while back. I'd have to stop by their shop to see what they have.

What if some folks want to try a bigger version (understanding that they won't finish it in one day)? At least one other person asked me about that idea in private . . . . Do you have larger plans as well? Or do you think that would be a bad idea for novices?

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Nov 14 2013, 06:32 PM

The Micro-Mock is simply a quarter scale Mini-Mock kite ... ie all linear dimensions are cut in half. The advantage of building a Micro-Mock is that it's inexpensive and quick to build. All knowledge acquired building it are directly transferable to building the Mini-Mock. I've built five or six Micro-Mocks, two Mini-Mocks and a Double-Mock (40 sq ft) ... easy transition from one to the other.

There is a great thread on Kitebuilder.com that follows quite a number of Mini-Mock builds. One of my kites is on page 6 and the other is on page 10. Check out the thread here. Several of the addresses are broken, but this one for an English translation of a German magazine article is still working. The German article has all of the dimensions necessary to build the Mini-Mock ... the translation is a little lacking in clarity, but not that bad.

My first foil was a 75 sq ft Bull Dog kite and my second foil was a Mini-Mock. So no, I don't think a Mini-Mock is that difficult for a first kite. For the class, it's better if everyone is building the same kite though.

Cheers,
Tom

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Fri, Nov 15 2013, 12:52 PM

DO you need to have copies of the layout made so everyone has a template? My sister and brother in law run a print shop so I could probably get copies made.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Nov 15 2013, 04:42 PM

Darkspark wrote:DO you need to have copies of the layout made so everyone has a template? My sister and brother in law run a print shop so I could probably get copies made.

Hey Mikey, thanks for the offer. I have a .pdf file for the Mini-Mock ... if it can be printed out half scale that might be good. I used the dimensions (divided in half) from the article in the German magazine. Those dimensions were drawn directly on some heavy card stock (WalMart special) to come up with the templates. I planned on bring those to the class. I'll need to make an extra set or two, depending on how many people attend.

They might be the most useful printed out ahead of time and given to the participants before class ... let folks make their own templates.

Cheers,
Tom
Last edited by Jeepster on Fri, Nov 15 2013, 08:52 PM, edited 1 time in total.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Nov 15 2013, 05:15 PM

Dumb question, but why not have them print it out full scale? Why half scale?

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Nov 15 2013, 08:48 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Dumb question, but why not have them print it out full scale? Why half scale?

The .pdf is of a Mini-Mock ...

The Mini-Mock is 20 sq ft

The Micro-Mock is 5 sq ft (all linear dimensions are half scale)

Thus, printing the Mini-Mock .pdf drawings half size yields templates for a Micro-Mock.

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Nov 15 2013, 09:38 PM

Attention to details . . . Yep, I missed that.

I'm pretty sure at least one other IKE member is interested in the full size mini . . . :)

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Nov 16 2013, 02:26 PM

goestoeleven wrote:... I'm pretty sure at least one other IKE member is interested in the full size mini . . . :)

This is what I posted earlier:

If folks want to do a foil, I could put together a class. I think a Mini-Mock (20 sq ft) might be too much for a single day. But, a Micro-Mock (5 sq ft), which is simply a quarter scale Mini-Mock, might work ... one less keel, two less ribs, etc. That would give the builders the basic skills to build the larger foils later.

I still believe the 20 sq ft kite is too much for a group of beginners to finish in one day. When Mike taught the ROK class, the majority of us were sewing our first kite. A ROK is a simple kite, and yet, we took all day to complete it. That's why I'm hesitant to tackle a class for the larger kite.

If no one is interested in building the 5 sq ft kite, then we should get Mike busy collecting material for a ROK class. Then I'll help you and your friend off line.

Cheers,
Tom
Last edited by Jeepster on Tue, Dec 03 2013, 07:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Nov 16 2013, 02:53 PM

Do the micro, that's fine by me.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sat, Nov 16 2013, 02:56 PM

I am definitely interested in the micromock. You have to start somewhere. I figure if I can do that one then I might feel confidant to take on a bigger project. Thanks for organizing it Tom. It'll be a nice addition to my bag too. Those little ones are fun to play with.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

zero1199

Postby zero1199 » Sun, Nov 17 2013, 03:36 PM

Hey Tom hopefully you are okay!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Nov 17 2013, 06:02 PM

zero1199 wrote:Hey Tom hopefully you are okay!

Ditto. I sent him a PM, but I haven't heard back. I hope Tom and his loved ones are OK. Tom, let us know if you need anything.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Nov 17 2013, 08:05 PM

Tom's son says he's fine but his power is out.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Nov 17 2013, 08:39 PM

Mike wrote:Tom's son says he's fine but his power is out.

Thanks for checking. That is good to hear. I've looked at the photos from Washington, and it looks very bad for the people in the path of that storm.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Nov 27 2013, 01:22 PM

With "Hang Em High" and "Kitebuilder" out of business, the opportunity for a yard or so of individual ripstop colors has effectively dried up. Steve has offered to check with his local source for ripstop availability. Can we get a head count of who is planning on attending to help him with his investigation?

There are three methods of coming up with the necessary two yards of fabric for each participant: 1) A participant has his own supply 2) Steve might be able to buy some for us ... might even have an assortment of colors 3) I need to restock my black and red material, so will order extra for the class. Please post if you're planning on coming and include a note concerning the above three choices ... if number two, you might include the colors you'd like Steve to investigate.

If I remember correctly we currently have two folks who have committed to attend:

goestoeleven
TMadz

Cheers,
Tom

PS ... happy Thanksgiving!

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 30 2013, 08:12 AM

Hi Tom,
I'm coming, and I have my own material.

backdraft